Music of the Year

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
kornbean
Hardhead

Music of the Year

Post by kornbean »

Hey everybody! Been a long time since I dropped by. Thought I'd leave this topic open for greater use, but I wanted to share with you guys some personally memorable musical discoveries from the past year, so here they are. Not all were released last year, but I believe most were.

Since I'm a sucker for house, these three stood out to me...
Leon Vynehall - Rojus (Designed to Dance) -- Might call this one the more polished of the three
Omar S. - The Best! -- Nice old-school, Midwest sound
Pleasure Model - Kendo Dynamics -- Got a bit of that trending synthwave vibe going for it, but kind of nostalgic

Some other nice ones...
Bwana - Capsule's Pride -- Conceptually based on & heavily samples the Akira anime
Andy Stott - Too Many Voices -- Had an unintentional & wonderful experience with this one syncing with the Battleship Potemkin film
Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe -- Stumbled upon this one after vaguely having heard of it before. Seems to be a bit of a classic now
Golden Living Room - Post-Internet -- Recommended by a friend after discussing the above release. Reminds me a bit of Lifeforms' more ambient parts

And last but most...
Pilotredsun - Achievement -- Some recognizable & charming influences going on here. Discovered the artist through this debut album, but have since learned of their various enigmatic animations & rough-draft tunes. The album & animations can be found on his YouTube channel pilotredsun, while most of his rough tunes have been uploaded between these two users: lonesome james & logical.progression. Can't wait to hear more from him!
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: Music of the Year

Post by tryptych »

2016 best albums, from the top of my head:

Delerium - Mythologie
Woob - Overrun_EXE
FSOL - Environment 6.5
Death In Vegas - Consequences Of Love ( that C&C remix..<3 )
from the source flows the endless...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Generally the 'what are you listening to?' thread tends to serve this purpose as people often discuss recent purchases and listens in there.
kornbean wrote: Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe -- Stumbled upon this one after vaguely having heard of it before. Seems to be a bit of a classic now
Golden Living Room - Post-Internet -- Recommended by a friend after discussing the above release. Reminds me a bit of Lifeforms' more ambient parts
I'm quite involved in the vaporwave scene, lots to recommend in there. I'm guessing you've heard former-forum regular Nmesh's albums on AMDiscs and Dream Catalogue? Excellent stuff. Also the albums by 2814 come highly recommended - particularly Birth of a New Day, which is definitely their best. And a huge ton of other stuff.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol trypych - i'm listening to semantic spaces as i read your post
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Ross wrote:I'm quite involved in the vaporwave scene, lots to recommend in there. I'm guessing you've heard former-forum regular Nmesh's albums on AMDiscs and Dream Catalogue? Excellent stuff. Also the albums by 2814 come highly recommended - particularly Birth of a New Day, which is definitely their best. And a huge ton of other stuff.
Some time late last year I came across 2814's album Rain Temple, but at the time I made no connection between it and the vaporwave scene. It was a good one though. I'll have to give their others a listen. Funny enough, when I wrote my original post I did a little exploring of the scene and I did catch sight of Nmesh's name. I remember him from the forum, but I had no idea I'd be seeing his name then and there. I've listened to Dream Sequins since then.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Dream Catalogue (the two guys who run it are 2814) in general has moved away from vaporwave. Birth of a New Day definitely has its roots in the style, but Rain Temple is a different beast altogether.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

To my fairly unfamiliar eyes(/ears?), vaporwave seems to be popping up quite frequently nowadays. It reminds me of another noteworthy album/artist from the past year that I forgot to mention, Everywhere at the End of Time by The Caretaker. Not exactly vaporwave, but has a similar dreamlike looped-sample-based quality.