The KLF - Are they back from Mumu land ?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: The KLF - Are they back from Mumu land ?

Post by Ross »

darktrain wrote:all very well ross and i'm a massive fan of the klf but they were f**king stupid to burn 1 million pounds AND delete their back catalogue..
I wouldn't say they were stupid, they knew exactly what they were doing. I don't think they've ever been in it for the money.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I always wondered if they were ever accused for not making charitable donations instead.
Magnificient Insignificance
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:
darktrain wrote:all very well ross and i'm a massive fan of the klf but they were f**king stupid to burn 1 million pounds AND delete their back catalogue..
I wouldn't say they were stupid, they knew exactly what they were doing. I don't think they've ever been in it for the money.
Watching the doc I'm not convinced they were 100% sure - The press screening of the event in the KLF doc shows the two guys looking pretty darn sheepish (might just be a result of having to deal with Tony Wilson though ;) ), then they seem like they're trying to recoup some of the funds by working out if they could make something from the ashes. My opinion only but it does seem to come across a little 'OH MY GOD, what *have* we done ?!'
Ross

Post by Ross »

Dennis wrote:I always wondered if they were ever accused for not making charitable donations instead.
They were - and they retorted that if other celebrities do something stupid with their money (buying a sports car they never drive, etc.) they never get asked the same question. Truth is a lot of rich people blow loads of cash and end up with nothing to show for it.

Pete - you might be right. They were probably in shock, it is a pretty brave thing to do. But they stuck by it regardless. They've never struck me as cowards when it comes to their art, which is why I believe - and hope - that they won't be releasing new music.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ross wrote:They were - and they retorted that if other celebrities do something stupid with their money (buying a sports car they never drive, etc.) they never get asked the same question.
That´s a pretty smart response indeed. I really would like to know if someone could do sth like this today and would not get shitstormed to hell. Maybe Kanye West :)
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

And it's going to be... a book.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

At the moment, a book & a film (2023 The Tryptych consist on 3 vertical screens)...no music soundtrack but will be have 69 minutes of sounds from the film ...

Trailer#1 is fucking amazing....
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

The trailer does look great.

Back to the money burning, the rumour that it was fake banknotes never quite left my mind and I've never taken it that seriously. if people want to get upset/blase that they torched £1m then good luck to them. I'm fully aware, however, that it could be some powerful reaction against the idea they actually did burn it, which doesn't let me believe it.

Also some of the Cubus stuff reminds me of Chill Out, particularly a collection of tracks for mr davis. can;t quite put my finger on it but it has a vague americana vibe to it
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Haha, half of cubus lives in America now so maybe that's it :D
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

no way, have a look around his CD collection next time you're there :-)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Oooh he's definitely heard it (and I think owns a copy too) .... Here's a brief extract from a recording I made 13 years ago (jeeeezus time flies) with me, him and my brother:

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/blabber.mp3

(As to which voice is which, Joe (the other half of cubus) is the first one to talk that says 'fat as a rat', my brother is the one full of cold blowing his nose all the way though and asks if the music playing is us, and I'm the one who responds to him. Think we were all a bit full of drink at the time)
Reamonnt
Hardhead

Post by Reamonnt »

Brilliant trailer makes you want to see more!
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Pete, that sounds like a typical relaxed sesh with the bro's :-) "Would ya baby"
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah I really miss those days - Occasionally listen to the whole thing with a sad nostalgia ...