Computer Art/Video Synths

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ell
Hardhead

Computer Art/Video Synths

Post by Ell »

Not directly FSOL related but may be of interest to some on here. I was browsing through this history of computer based art:

http://iasl.uni-muenchen.de/links/GCA-IV.1e.html

The first version of the Paik/Abe video synthesizer from 1970 (see chap. IV.1.1 with ann.11) was not a synthesizer. It could be used to mix and colourize seven external image sources. The colours were invertible and manipulable:
Combining video feedback, magnetic scan modulation and non-linear mixing followed by colorizing, generated its novel style of imagery. 33
External sources (cameras) are used as an input to start signal processes by scan processors like the Paik-Abe synthesizer and the tools by Francois Coupigny, Lee Harrison III (SCANIMATE), Ture Sjölander (presented above), Dan Sandin, Bill Etra and Steve Rutt
Ell
Hardhead

Re: Computer Art/Video Synths

Post by Ell »

In 1973 Steve Rutt, Bill and Louise Etra developed a "scan processor" that was utilised in video productions by Nam June Paik, Steina and Woody Vasulka as well as Gary Hill. 56 With the "Rutt/Etra Scan Processor" signals of a black-and-white monitor can be modified. The signals are modified by controlling the voltage along the horizontal and vertical axes. It is possible to locate the images of a video input on different places of an image raster.

There's also a link to a clip of the EMS Rutt Etra Video Synth in there somewhere...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

And the Rutt Etra named track on the Synthi-A album :)

- Cool info.
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Really love that 'analogue' era of video manipulation, always made everything come across fluid and watery. I probably first encountered it with Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (the Gene Wilder one) with the text effects here and it's always stuck with me: