The Orb - Chill Out World

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: The Orb - Chill Out World

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, thats somehow what I always thought, Paterson being the 'director' of some sorts, maybe this even was the case back in the nineties. Maybe his role changed over the years, and he turned into the guy who mainly provided all the drugs, thatswhy he had to keep the copyrights on the music to make sure theres always enough cash...
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Thomas Fehlmann on their working process, from this interview:
Well first off, an important part is we don’t live in the same city. We always make dates to work together, and then we actually work. We’re not hanging out; it’s quite to the point—’now’s our time, we have to deliver, let’s go.’ To this day, that’s how we work best. We’re always working together in the studio. We never exchange files. Alex regularly comes to Berlin to work in my studio. That’s where we produced the last record, Chill Out World. There’s an interesting element to it that’s dramatically different from the way I worked with Holger. Discussion was 50-percent of our process of making music together. With Alex, we barely have discussions. We just let go, and have big respect for each other’s musical input. We still find total inspiration when we get together. Like the new record still gets me going. I’m really proud of it.
So I dunno. I've always found Alex an annoying prat, and always felt he was the part of The Orb that made me fucking hate them for years, but I'm slightly more inclined to believe he actually does something after reading that.
Codringher
Hardhead

Post by Codringher »

There is promotion video of making of 'Moonbuilding 2703 AD. You can see that Fehlmann is making music, and Paterson is just playing records (DJing). And that's how they work look like. I've never seen any picture where Paterson plays any kind of instrument - only DJing.

However he claims that piano part of 'Oxbow Lakes' was made by him. So maybe he just give up making music last years?
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Codringher wrote:I've never seen any picture where Paterson plays any kind of instrument - only DJing.
Yeah that´s pretty much what Weston described in his banter, that he has no skills on programming beats or using music making software. Putting sampleloops on top of already existing beats seems to be his part more or less musically. Given that the new album is pretty sample-heavy, Fehlmanns words about the new record make sense. Actually sample-loops make an important part on their 90ies albums, so his input was maybe really not that little.

BTW, the new album is quite nice actually, full of ballroom-sounding strings and hawaiian guitar-samples, more than on previous fehlmann-based albums, they provide a nice warm atmosphere.

Only wish the album was longer.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Had my first listen to the new album this morning and enjoyed it.

Most music seems superfluous after E6 & 6.5 though.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Ross wrote:Thomas Fehlmann .......I worked with Holger.
so what release is this?

my brain and google skills aren't working well today!
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

seedy wrote:
Ross wrote:Thomas Fehlmann .......I worked with Holger.
so what release is this?

my brain and google skills aren't working well today!
I assume it is this one? https://www.discogs.com/Holger-Hiller-- ... ster/67173
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

huh.....weird that he would reference a project from 1981 in the manner which he's quoted by Ross there

fair nuff.....i was thinking/hoping this was a holger czukay collaboration :o
Ross

Post by Ross »

He talks about that collaboration in more detail elsewhere in the interview.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Album sounds like a fehlmanized version of KLF´s "Chillout". Lovely little thing,reminiscent of early orb stuff (pomme fritz and FFWD came to my mind) but not too old-school.

My only complain: it´s waaay to short...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, I'm liking this more with each listen. Roger Eno's additions give it that extra push, some gorgeous piano stuff from him. Overall it's more melodic than I normally expect from The Orb, which is always a good thing in my book.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Wondered who was behind that piano part - I'd heard Paterson did that piano bit of the intro to the Oxbow Lakes track from Orbus Terrarum and was thinking he was this secret wonderful piano player ... Guess not :D
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Just listening again for the first time on speakers - It so sounds like a FSOL release. If this was an Electric Brain Storms thing I wouldn't have batted an eyelid (earlid?)
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's a lot more digital than FSOL in places, but it's definitely the closest they've come (along with White River Junction, which I'm still not convinced didn't come about by Alex breaking into Earthbeat and nicking the first track he found). To me it almost feels like an Electric Brain Storm version of Baghdad Batteries, if that makes any sense at all.