It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 pm

The Orb - Chill Out World

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
  • Author

DJ Three

Amoeba

The Orb - Chill Out World

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm

soundCloud full track previews of forthcoming Orb album "Chill Out World"... with Roger Eno and Youth

https://soundcloud.com/kompakt/sets/the ... ut-world-1

Ross

Just a Fuckin' Idiot

Re: The Orb - Chill Out World

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:10 am

Really liking this. I've enjoyed most of the albums since Okie Dokie, but found them all very light on replay value - they've generally lasted a year or so in my collection. I have a feeling this one is going to become one of my favourites though, it just feels much more on my level musically.

OffLand

Ill Flower

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 am

Yeah, this sounds pretty great. Might have to pick this one up :)

epitome

Vertical Pig

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 7:11 am

I listened to one track from this a few weeks ago and it didn't impress me. I still pre-ordered the CD though, so I'll wait till the weekend and give the whole thing a listen (on my birthday too :) )

dell1972

Vertical Pig

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:53 pm

I've actually yet to purchase the Moonbuilding album. I became increasingly disenchanted with The Orb with the Metallic Spheres and his collaboration with Lee Perry. Combine that with the increasing realisation that Paterson is a freeloading ballsack with almost no artistic talent, other than his ability to get others to do the work for him, made me a bit more reticent to pass cash in his direction. I may get past this at some point, but not at the moment.
I am the eye that looks within

mcbpete

Not a clue

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 2:16 pm

You pretty much exactly mirror my views too !

Dennis

Ill Flower

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 3:10 pm

dell1972 wrote:Paterson is a freeloading ballsack with almost no artistic talent, other than his ability to get others to do the work for him

:D

But come on, that´s maybe a bit TOO harsh. I´ve also read that evil blur from Kris Weston, and I´m also pretty sure he has some points with his descriptions, but I really think the truth is somewhere in the middle. He surely has seemed to contribute something to the albums, and even more than the suspected "one sample or two", I´m really sure.

And yeah, Metallic Spheres and that Lee Perry thing were pretty uninteresting, but if the team Paterson/Fehlmann keeps coming up with solid albums like Okie Dokie or Baghdad Batteries now and in the next years, then I´m pretty fine with it.
Magnificient Insignificance

seedy

Expander

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 3:56 pm

orb + roger eno = NICE

f'n love me some orb through and through 8-)

mcbpete

Not a clue

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Dennis wrote:But come on, that´s maybe a bit TOO harsh. I´ve also read that evil blur from Kris Weston, and I´m also pretty sure he has some points with his descriptions, but I really think the truth is somewhere in the middle. He surely has seemed to contribute something to the albums, and even more than the suspected "one sample or two", I´m really sure.
I would actually be really interested to hear a Paterson only track - Just flicked though the entire album back catalogue and couldn't find a single release that appeared to be by just him. They're almost all seem to be either a Fehlmann and/or Hughes and/or Weston co-project !

Ross

Just a Fuckin' Idiot

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 6:25 pm

It is a tad worrisome that the Fehlmann albums do sound almost exactly like Fehlmann's solo material.

Codringher

Amoeba

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 8:43 am

mcbpete wrote:I would actually be really interested to hear a Paterson only track - Just flicked though the entire album back catalogue and couldn't find a single release that appeared to be by just him. They're almost all seem to be either a Fehlmann and/or Hughes and/or Weston co-project !

There is only one: "1,1,1" (0:36) from "Cydonia". Made entirely out of samples ;-)

I agree with Ross - every album made by Paterson/Fehlmann duo is actually Fehlmann album with Paterson samples.

For me Orb ended when Hughes left. Mostly all albums released in XXI century are boring/uninteresting/sounding the same... (with small exceptions).

dell1972

Vertical Pig

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 9:03 am

I too agree with Ross on the Fehlmann comment, I feel more inclined to listen to his solo stuff as a result, though they always come across as nice but almost wholly unmemorable - you could argue that makes them good value as you never tire of them because you can never remember them!

I think bitterness set in when I bought the limited edition Lee Perry album for about thirty quid. On the plus side you actually got the instrumental album without Perry's gibbering (and I am actually a big fan of Perry usually, his seventies stuff mainly). On the down side I feel I paid a premium for a cut up bit of art that was included that Alex did which my four year old daughter could have done a better job of. Oh, I forgot about "C Batter C", which came before it. An overpriced turd is the best description I can give it.

Of course hearing Kris Weston's comments does slew matters somewhat, and I'm sure his account of things can't be 100% truth, but does seem to make a certain sense when listening to the stylistic changes over the years - you come to realise there's no Alex style as such other than a few goofy samples.

Interestingly what Kris Weston actually did put out the other year before he had a meltdown sounded very much like a slightly more classical Environments II era FSOL. His latest ramblings suggest though he's really not doing very well... he seems to be holed up on Guatemala with broken equipment.
I am the eye that looks within

Pandemonium

Positive Electron

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

Agreed, LX is mostly a parasite, but ORB albums are mostly good (some even great)...

dell1972 wrote:I feel more inclined to listen to Fehlmann solo stuff as a result, though they always come across as nice but almost wholly unmemorable - you could argue that makes them good value as you never tire of them because you can never remember them!

I like exactly this in some artists. 'unmemorable' is not a bad thing in my view :)
You're doin' too much, do less.

mcbpete

Not a clue

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 12:20 pm

dell1972 wrote:Oh, I forgot about "C Batter C", which came before it. An overpriced turd is the best description I can give it.
That track is responsible for a really terrible and rushed remix by me too -

(if the above doesn't work - https://soundcloud.com/mcbpete/c-batter ... -3/s-mPPiV )

seedy

Expander

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 5:00 pm

i stopped caring about who's behind the music
it's great music so i don't care :)

also for all that LX doesn't do there is also something to be said for being a "director" of a project
like a band leader, he's not playing an instrument but he is putting forth the direction of the work

that said it's possible he's not that either lol
Next

Return to Music Discussion