RIP Prince. Pop is dead!

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
dubmasta
Ill Flower

RIP Prince. Pop is dead!

Post by dubmasta »

Probably the first time I really got sad after hearing a musicians death, oddly enough as I was never a huge Prince fan (even though I liked some of his songs in my teens), until now, when his death made me look deeper at his music. For example I never knew that he was an extraordinary guitarist and multi instrumentalist. There is a 3 hour show uploaded on NTS Radio as a tribute to Prince, the guy was a born song writer, what can I say. Wondering what your thoughts are on the subject FSOL lovers.

I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: RIP Prince. Pop is dead!

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm really devastated about Prince, ... I must say his death struck me the most (compared to the dozen of other GREAT musicians that passed away recently).

Not to repeat myself, but you guys really need to read this - I agree with everything in this thread:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-objective ... cian-ever/

- I never considered Prince as pop, not as pure pop anyway - he was always kinda funk/soul/pop guy to me - so to add to the thread's title - popular funk is certainly dead... The last hope stands with Jamioquai but they don't seem to do much in decades...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Miles Davis: "Prince is James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix and Charlie Chaplin altogether"

Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Once in a century performance! Guitar & Voice spans - 11/10.

PS - bonus fact: Prince Paid Off 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield's Medical Bills.
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Prince did far more than paying Clyde Stubblefield's Medical Bills that were 80.000 dlrs. It turns out whatever he did he did it anonymously, respect to the man. Its funny what I thought of the man years ago and what I do know, I always thought of Prince as a weirdo gay pop singer. Now at my 37 I realize that the guy was a fucking genius, the bloody Linn LM-1 drummachine beat programmer

, the guitar virtuoso, the composer who could play and write any kind of music from classical, to funk and soul, to pop and rock, the singer, the frontman, the 15 year old producer and the list goes on. Bloody hell...

4:46 the smile on George Harrison's son while watching Prince nailing it on the solo for the song that his father wrote...priceless
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i don't know a ton about prince and while i would never put them on the same level....i think i can see a pretty clear hendrix influence in his guitar style....just real loose and expressive

has he ever mentioned hendrix in this way?
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I think Hendrix was definitely a huge influence to his guitar playing and not only, if you are a Hendrix fan you can tell that. Prince is asked about Hendrix in this first interview of his @3:30:

dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Happy Birthday love