New Ozric in May

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

New Ozric in May

Post by seedy »

double album!

beautiful cover too

epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: New Ozric in May

Post by epitome »

Yeah, love that cover! I was working through their stuff chronologically, but looks like I'll have to jump ahead for this one!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Cool :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I wonder why they haven't posted about this on their Facebook page. Good job I have my doppelganger keeping me informed!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah idk about facebook but in the past their website maintenance has been pretty poor
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

And a new Orb album this summer too. Nice :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

nice this is the first i'm hearing this :)

strange too because for as much as i love lee perry (obvs) - that collaboration wasn't what i had hoped for.
orb surely knows how to do reggae dub in the more traditional style but for whatever reason that's not the approach alex took with those albums

nice to just get back to pure orb ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I didn't get that Lee Perry album (well, either of them). From the samples, I didn't like his voice though, so probably not one I'm going to like.

I listened to Metallic Spheres (which I love) and then I've worked through chronologically up to Okie Dokie. The last few I've listened to haven't been quite as good, but I'm hoping The Dream will be better and that the new one will be good too :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha yes lee perry is either love or hate
a voice like that creates this scenario!

you might do ok with the dub version of the album as it's largely instrumental

dream you should do ok with...a bit dancehall here and there seems to annoy some folk but i like dancehall so it's no problem for me :mrgreen:
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I preferred the dub version of the Lee Perry album, and I'm a Lee Perry fan! The only thing I've really liked in recentish times by the Orb is Baghdad Batteries, and Okie Dokie is alright but it's almost amnesia inducing.

It'll be interesting to see what the Ozrics album is like, I've not minded their newer stuff that much, but not listened to it overly. I'm due an Ozricathon again soon, I seem to listen to them intensely for shortish periods. To be honest I'm more a fan of their earlier stuff. Reminds me of my yoof innit.

While we're hijacking threads, Seedy, what do you make of The Grateful Phish (i.e. the Dead reunion with Trey Anastasio filling Jerry's boots)? Could be good, could be terrible, but will be short lived. Must listen to a bit more Phish, you mentioned an ambient one at some point.
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i prefer the dub version as well. it just works better for whatever reason.

ozric well we'll see.....while a double album for some reason gives me new excitement, i won't be surprised at all if this one is relatively generic like the last few releases have been

that GD50 thing is pretty crazy over here. tix going for disgusting prices on the secondary market etc.
to me the trey thing isn't a huge deal because he's played with Lesh back in the day a few times already. so i know what it's like to hear trey play some jerry parts. they will be good shows for sure but i'll be enjoying them from my couch lol

phish ambient -
well here is THE set:

i was about 5 feet from the stage and lost in space for this one :mrgreen:

now these are not exactly ambient but they are at parts and the point is that they are filled with improv:

this was an unannounced set they played late at night during a weekend festival.
ah memories.....i was definitely in outer space for this one as well haha

i missed this one.....the sacrifice of having an infant at the time!

this is an album of studio outtakes....spacey stuff. reminds me of porcupine tree - metanoia

another album of studio outtakes.....though this one is unreleased and not quite as good as siket imo

and finally phish soundchecks are often filled with stellar improv that you scratch your head wondering why they aren't playing like that during the actual paid performance lol:

***ALL***
please note that these links are different from the phish album i linked elsewhere in this forum
this stuff is nearly 100% freeform improv and plenty of ambient parts as noted. nice psychedelia.
obvs i encourage you all to give them a ride!

enjoy dell i've no doubt you'll find some tasty moments if you give these a try 8-)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Looks like the Orb´s new one will be Paterson & Fehlmann, so there´s hope that it´s going to continue where 'Baghdad Batteries' left off:
“a major piece of psychedelic synth bliss, obscure loops and deep ambient textures, driven by swinging breakbeats and powerful basslines”
It’s a solid piece of music that mutates into an eight legged lunar Land Rover and takes off into a cosmic horizon of a million sounds, patterns and textures,” said The Orb’s Alex Paterson. “It spins the listener on his/her head, rewiring their brains to maximum capacity, then brings them home, sweet home,” he concluded.

The duo explained that they went on quite a creative journey in order to complete this album. Each track, most over ten minutes long, was a major piece of work in itself.
Sounds promising. Looking forward to it!

Been listening to the last 4 Ozric-albums (from 'Spirals...' - 'Paper Monkeys') a few times recently, these are the ones I go to the least often when I´m in the mood for some OT, but it´s all pretty decent stuff all the way I must say, only thing is maybe the programmed drumming on some tracks, gives it a dry studio touch sometimes, like the 'organic' band sound from earlier releases missing here and there, but 'Technicians...' is definitely another one to look forward for me too!
Magnificient Insignificance
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Dennis wrote:Looks like the Orb´s new one will be Paterson & Fehlmann, so there´s hope that it´s going to continue where 'Baghdad Batteries' left off
As it's on Kompakt I'm hoping it continues where Okie Dokie left off (my fave of theirs from this century)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

There are a handful of decent tracks at the end of The Dream, but the only Orb albums I think are of high quality enough to actually deserve owning post-Orblivion are Okie Dokie and Baghdad Batteries, so this one is definitely appealing to me. The return to the longer track format (particularly after touring the early material) is particularly exciting, and suggests to me that this could be a record that actually features what it is that I actually enjoyed about The Orb in the first place.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

SO......after a third listen

i would say this album is as refreshing as it is stale....i guess 2 discs allows this to be even more apparent

the first point is that Ed = Ozric and Ed will forever have a style of writing and improvising that is unique to itself.
"that ozric sound" we should never expect to really go away - it's part of the big picture.

that said, ed's ability to bring back old themes suffers when it's him alone doing the writing. same with many of the recent albums which are relatively solo efforts. just a level of sameness that he doesn't break away from quite enough like he can with creative input from others.

moving beyond that though i would say this is the best ozric release since Spirals in Hyperspace. with all i said about being stale, Ed managed to bring in a few new sounds that aren't typical of previous albums. just generally more tribal and with unique samples you wouldn't hear in the past etc.
he also manages to bring back some of the old themes in really great form.

to wrap up - the best ozric album in the past decade. ed found some inspiration he's been lacking for awhile. a true band effort with the right cast would have made the album that much better. this is however has always been the case since last core lineup dissolved.

my two diehard cents :)