Blurred Lines verdict

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

Blurred Lines verdict

Post by seedy »

In the "Blurred Lines" case, the Gaye family will seek an injunction against the song, giving them leverage to negotiate for royalties and other concessions such as songwriting credits.

Nona Gaye, the late singer's daughter, wept as the verdict was read and later told reporters: "Right now, I feel free. Free from ... Pharrell Williams' and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

----- honestly eff you
you didn't write ANY music and nobody "chained" you to anything

money grabbing disgrace to gaye's legacy
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Blurred Lines verdict

Post by seedy »

well....just in case someone is actually interested
this is a good read

http://joebennett.net/2014/02/01/did-ro ... rvin-gaye/
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I call bullshit on this one,
there is some resemblance,
maybe they had in mind Gaye's song when they were 'composing' Blurred Lines (which sucks as a song)
- but these are different songs.
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Hey, anything that takes money away from a misogynistic twerp like #THICKE is OK in my books !
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well sure you can take it personal and base it on the people involved but i'm more concerned about the larger message that's being sent here

to me this sends out a flare of caution going forward and now an artist can feel a tinge of fear when trying to respectfully pay homage to a genre, artist, tune what have you

as fsol fans we should all sure get this. all of the sampling is a great example. no doubt there is theft going on but the purpose isn't to steal someone else's content. the goal is rather to create something new and in some cases reference these older sounds and vibes. surely more like "borrowing" when used in this manner
redefining, reimagining, expanding, referencing. nobody owns music and like lennon or whomever said "it's all been wrote before"
to me music is like a living breathing text of communication. we are all lucky to be able to tap into it whether as a listener enjoying it or a creator able to have a voice with it. sharing, communicating, appreciating and acknowledging

i'm pretty sure my disjointed rant there sums up to something that makes cosmic sense ;)