RIP Edgar Froese

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: RIP Edgar Froese

Post by dell1972 »

Sad news, the music he did with Cluster and Harmonia was simply wonderful.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Weird bump but I've finally found a video I'd been looking for for ages. At 3:29 is this Tangerine Dream or just a BBC library music copycat?

seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

alan parson's project :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Track called Sirius, from 1982. I suppose lots of stuff sounded like that by that point.

I thought this bump was going to be about Quantum Key, the first post-Edgar release, which came out this week. Still waiting for my CD...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks guys - certainly goes in a very different direction than the loop I've been used to for years !
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Isao Tomita, another synth legend - died yesterday :( - he was 84.

RIP Tomita...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I see there's another Tangerine Dream box coming out, the follow up to last year's mind blowing "In Search Of Hades" to cover the rest of the Virgin Years.

Not so many extras to the next month's "Pilots of Purple Twilight" but with the extras they are providing, they really are spoiling us:

The Soldier previously unreleased OST
The Keep OST
TD bit of Risky Business OST
Music from German crime drama Tatort, first time on CD.
Full show from Dominion London 1982 (i.e. Logos), which effectively means you get The Keep soundtrack live as well - bootlegs from that tour are pretty stunning.

Mind blown once again...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

dell1972 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:00 pm Music from German crime drama Tatort, first time on CD.
Should surprise me if this is actually exciting music, Tatort is one of the most dull tv series ever, especially if it's from the 80ies :D
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

The original sold really well so I’m not surprised they’ve done a follow up, even if Chris Franke’s lack of interest has resulted in a smaller number of rarities. The Keep is from the original 1984 tapes so that’s a nice one to finally have.

Really hoping Esoteric decide to do similar boxes for the Pink and Blue years. Even just the standalone releases with the Official Bootlegs and such would be nice in a big box with a book...
Quiller
Tingler

Post by Quiller »

Picking up the Esoteric remaster of Pergamon as well as that limited edition remaster of the their soundtrack to the film Wavelength to fill in the gaps from that period to go with the new box.
Wished they had included full, un-tangentized studio versions of "Calymba Caly", "Silver Scale", and "Horns of Doom" and maybe some more of the lesser known soundtrack work from the period, but I suppose everything is from the Virgin vaults.

Esoteric already released Pink Years and Blue Years boxes, but they only included the albums with no extra goodies, live performances, singles, etc. which they left on the individual release remasters.

These boxes are a very nice tribute to Edgar Froese's gift to music.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, those boxsets lacked the bonus tracks... happens quite a lot with these things, the contracts are only for the bonuses to be on the standard albums. They're also small boxes, without liner notes. Wouldn't mind nice 12" deluxe boxes like these. I'm guessing they'll do a Blue Years Live box as the next thing to line up with the others.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I'm gradually working my way through the Pilots box now.

Unsurprisingly, Logos appears to have been largely a studio album after all, though that doesn't detract from the sheer beauty of the real Dominion Concert recording. It's a little odd that they have just split the main bulk of the concert into two tracks and called it Dominion Concert Part one and two, when there's clear tracks from The Keep, Exit, and surprisingly the later Poland album included.

Much more surprising is the mastered version of Tangram. It's like they've taken a woolly sock off the 1990s remaster, there's all sorts of stuff you just couldn't hear before particularly in the quiet bits. It's like they've reinstated the whole upper and lower range to the recording, and that's with my grizzled ears, it's quite a startling upgrade.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Agreed. Pretty hilarious that Logos is basically a studio run-through with the crowd noise added later, but I suppose given that half of Livemiles, one track on Encore, and almost all of Ricochet are material that was never actually performed live, it's still a better representation of the gig than those are. There are a couple of bum notes I noticed on the Dominion Concert which maybe made the decision for them.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I agree, on the whole it sounds pretty good, but there's a few alarming bum notes. The track Dominion in particular is very prominently off key as the music comes in, but otherwise is pretty close to the released version. Some bits do sound like they are identical to Logos, or have bits that have been clearly overdubbed or had stuff edited/removed.

Conversely, there's some stuff that is on there that has never been officially released before which are just fantastic. About 25 minutes into the first Dominion CD there's a woozy 6 minute long track that sounds gorgeous. On bootlegs it's called Dreamscape. I struggle to picture them playing this back and thinking, nah, this doesn't make the cut... There's quite a few tracks from this era that were only played live and never officially released, destined to appear on bootlegs with outlandish names like Thermal Inversion....
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, whenever I look at gig tracklists from the first half of the '80s I'm always amazed at just how many unreleased tracks there are... it's good to finally hear some of them on this set. I really need to buy the Official Bootleg Series boxes at some point.