Sun Dial

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Sun Dial

Post by epitome »

Bit of a long shot, but I know Sun Dial were used in one of FSOL's mixes, so maybe someone on here knows a thing or two about them...

Firstly, are they even still going? I can't find a Facebook page for them and their website has been "Coming Soon" for about 2 years.

Secondly, their last album was Mind Control, released in 2012. I've been hoping for a CD release, but as far as I know it's only available on vinyl. Can anyone confirm this, or direct me to a place to buy it digitally?

Thirdly, I got into them just a few years ago and was enjoying their re-released deluxe albums... but they seem to have stopped now as well. ---that one isn't a question, but it is annoying 8-)
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Sun Dial

Post by seedy »

seems like you know all there is to know

i see there is a CDr/promo version of the album you mention but otherwise appears to be vinyl only and their last piece of work
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Don't suppose you know of anywhere that I could get hold of the CDr promo? I did notice that on discogs.com, but other than that I've seen no evidence of it.

Really annoying that they don't have any website giving any kind of indication of whether they're even still doing anything.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Discogs or eBay are your best chances (set up a Wantlist on Discogs and you'll get an email every time something is for sale.) Or just find a pirate mp3 copy, as it's out of print.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Sadly, I can't find an MP3 copy anywhere, be it pirate or otherwise. And there are only three out of the six tracks on YouTube. Annoyingly, Juno has MP3 samples of all the tracks, but you can't actually buy it on MP3.

Oh well, I will try the wantlist thing on Discogs, like you suggested, or keep checking eBay whenever I remember to do so.

Cheers guys.
Ross

Post by Ross »

You can also set up search alerts on eBay that do the same thing :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I didn't know that! Thanks, I'll try that too - not that I'm holding out much hope of one appearing!
Ross

Post by Ross »

They're still going, my girlfriend is friends with them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sun.dial.9
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

You're a hero! I searched for a Facebook page for them before but couldn't find one - (searching anywhere for "Sun Dial" throws up a lot of irrelevant stuff). That's great, I'll add them and maybe message them about a CD or digital release of Mind Control :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I can see why I wouldn't have though that was an official Sun Dial page, as it's set up as a person, not a band, and all the most recent posts that I scrolled through were just links to songs by other bands, no obvious news about Sun Dial themselves.

Anyway, I sent a Friend Request and hopefully I'll be accepted and get to ask a few questions ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Well the guy running the Facebook page got back to me and said that Mind Control is due for a CD release fairly soon and they're currently working on a new album :) So thanks again, Ross, for directing me to that page.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah, great news! :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I also friended them.. yeah, they're working on a new album. There's some pretty interesting symbology going on on the Mind Control cover art BTW, I happen to have a book with the same drawing lying on the table there :D

I'm really delighted to see all these retro-psych bands popping up, I thought it wouldn't happen afterall :D
from the source flows the endless...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Check out their discogs roster now.. :o WTH :D

Seems like they have tons of material and they've been together since 1990.. strange.
from the source flows the endless...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:Check out their discogs roster now.. :o WTH :D

Seems like they have tons of material and they've been together since 1990.. strange.
Huh?