The Future of Rock

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
dubmasta
Ill Flower

The Future of Rock

Post by dubmasta »

Lately for some unexplained reason Ive been listening a lot to the 90's rock bands that I love, and I realize once again after more than a decade, "damn, this stuff is really amazing and so so fuckin powerful", it just penetrates your psyche and makes you feel something very deep and strong, and travels you through a mixture of intense contrasting emotions. From pop-rock, to punk, to the Seattle scene and to more heavier metallic sounding bands, from least known to more popular internationally each band was very special in its own way, and could be considered highly significant from a historical point of view.

70's was the greatest decade of Rock, a sort of massive musical explosion, then there were the 90's - explosion No.2, and now I try to think of new or post 2000 bands that could be of such caliber and absolutely nothing comes to my mind (apart from Gojira), all I can think of is one big pile of shite, totally senseless, meaningless and emotionless. What the hell has happened and where is it going to? Are there going to be massive (regarding creativity and musicality) rock bands in the future?
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: The Future of Rock

Post by seedy »

maybe define "rock" and list some bands as a reference point?

tool is great

phish is past their prime but still my favorite all time

that's like prog and hippie rock tho :P
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Just yesterday I listened Monster Magnet's "Dopes To Infinity" and noticed this is one hell of a psychedelic, brain-melting supernova of a record. Absolutely love this.

Otherwise I was never to keen on 90ies Alternative Rock Stuff, I always kind of hated that whole "grunge" thing, mostly musically and in terms of the attitude.
Magnificient Insignificance
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

I've never been much of a rock fan, assuming we're talking about classical/progressive/hard rock stuff (Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/ACDC).

But metal has been a huge influence on my life since my early teenage years and I hope it always will continue to do so! \m/
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

@RazorJack:What kind of metal, the classic 80ies stuff like Maiden, Priest, etc. Or more the hardcore-influenced 90ies stuff like Pantera, Machine Head? I grew up with a lot of the classic stuff through my older brother in the 80ies, still love much of it today.
Magnificient Insignificance
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

A lot of different types man, metal is so diverse! But no, not much of the early stuff from the 80's.

It started when I used to go through this skater phase in my high school years, so you get the idea of the kind of alternative metal that involves, most of which I still absolutely love to this day. And later it developed and my interests broadened to heavier/darker/slower/faster types.

I'd say that the nostalgic feelings that the topic opener has for 90's rock/metal, is similar to what I have for the post-y2k decade. :-)

Time to give my scratchy cd of Hybrid Theory another spin.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Ive always been a person who listened to anything that made me feel good, and didnt care about the so called genre, it could be jazz rap, funk, metal, alternative, electronic, pop or classical, thats why probably guys couldnt understand me in high school. I know some people might like one band but dislike another, but it doesnt decrease the quality of these bands. My point is, even the crappiest bands of the 90's were a lot better than the contemporary rock shit that makes me sick.

In terms of pop-rock/alternative some bands that I could list as a reference point are REM, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, The Pixies, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Alice In Chains & Blind Melon. But the truth is that there are many other bands equally good that wrote amazing songs.

Some heavier bands that I could list are: TOOL, Pantera (the name of my solo project Five Minutes Alone is taken from one of their songs from Far Beyond Driven), Sepultura (the Cavalera era), Machine Head, Rage Against The Machine, Fear Factory, Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth. I never liked heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden etc and the rest of black metal/goth scene and never listened to them.

As far as "grunge" is concerned (I personally dont like this term much, Id rather call it the Seattle scene), Ive always loved it. I wasnt a fan of Nirvana when Cobain was alive, and became a huge fan after he died. And it was not Smells Like Teen Spirit or Nevermind that made me love them so much, it was their song "About a girl" and the Unplugged album, a concert that features acoustic, folk, pop and blues songs. Unplugged was the first CD that I ever bought in my life. This is what made me want to learn to play the guitar, so I bought an acoustic guitar and started teaching myself to play it and write songs, I was 14. My favorite songs are Heart-Shaped Box, Lithium and About a Girl/Polly.

PS: one more contemporary rock band apart from Gojira that I like a lot is Mastodon, I love their song Oblivion.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well... to answer the title of this topic... the future of Rock is grim at best...
I think it's safe to say that Rock is dead but not forgotten - and is slowly going towards the same paths that Jazz went through.

Jazz was BIG in the 40s / 50s / 60s and made the decline in the 70s and after the 80s it's just lingering around (this doesn't mean there aren't good and new jazz albums if you dig around). Same with the Rock, super BIG in the 70s and 90s, and super retarded post-2000. (again, this doesn't mean there aren't good and new rock albums if you dig around, but they are super-rare).

I too don't like Rock in general, but I grew up with it in the 90s, and some names mentioned in the posts above I respect very much, and occasionally I listen to some rock albums, but mostly hybrids, pure rock just sounds stupid to me...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Yes, the concept of pure rock sounds now in 2014 as when you think to old blues man, a big fat man sit down and play a guitar with a smile :)

Well, about Nirvana, was my favourite band before kurt die, i said in this board sometimes about for me the day that Cobain dies,rock music die and in 1994 , when all people saying when Kurt´s die that he was a great artist i say to people that only was a stupid product of
consumption,and since he dies i left the most fan and all people dress t-shirts,play in bars,love cobain....he was a another Michael Jackson , that never try spend life only life the dreams of a child....and to get high(dope).Cobain in 2000 with experimentals electronics maybe would be something great because the best songs from Nirvana are the most experimental....Endless Nameless is simply incredible.For me Bleach is a giant monster that had continous with In utero.

For me 1994 was the transit year to leave planet rock and flow to the Space Electronic Music ...some bits sounds on the national radio on metal experimental radio that put me "Lifeforms" between "Tool" or "Ozric Tentacles" the music became his miscegenation and all people looks that all music is Electronic since all is plugged,and the electronic music became to Pure Music made by people , machines apart...

And well before all this ,in 1990 my favourite first band (i had 12 years in 1990) that i love and still give great moments is Jane´s Addiction , another band that when they get some popularity thought that were moment to make stop on 90´s , Now they are a good example to adaptation to Rock not simple guitar riff, with delay voice machines, and plays some exotic instruments for create their magic atmosphere..., and then of course SMASHING PUMPKINS, REM,Pixies,Afgan Wings,Alice in Chains,Soundgarden,Mudhoney,PRIMUS,BUTTHOLE SURFERS,and of course lots of listenings on the radio of public enemy,beastie boys and more but this is another history, etc ETC...
And well my friends from school were most Hard rock people that listening Hanoi Rocks,Jonny Thunders,and the Fucking band without substance called The Dog´s Damour that i never seen any substance on this...

And well the best thing of 90´s grunge was the girls were most crazy than 2000´s sure

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

I guess my "annoyance" with modern rock or modern music in general, is there isn't any firm messages or statements or reason to it compared to past eras. Lots of great music out there at the moment definitely, but not enough to push the musical landscape forward in anyway.

So you can thank the internet for that I guess. The whole history of music is now wide open for anybody to travel through. Probably a good reason why allot of bands remind you quite abit of parts of the past.

Channels were much more limited back then, MTV and whatever it tied itself to were very instrumental to getting everyone to like what came later in the 80's then the 90's, with the 90's firstly being basically a backlash of the tripe that came before it. No matter the attitude people see the Seattle scene, I will always firstly see it as a creative triumphant response that almost everyone got behind, to the fact that we wanted deeper music again.

Kinda the same as 60's and early 70's music, through they also had real world events they were rightfully against as well, plus in most cases of course, the wider acceptance in using drugs to create and express, probably a good reason why allot of the songwriting was deeper and more complex back then.

Its a bit harder now to re-ignite something similar to the Seattle scene now, probably why its taking longer? I guess again thanks to the internet, the majority of the mainstream value communication higher than meaning, sitting back and observing instead of taking action. Guess its easier to talk than do.

I for one am sticking to the music scene on the internet, as I'm guessing many others are. When the internet gets more controlled, if it does, we'll start seeing more of a response.