The Orb - C Batter C

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: The Orb - C Batter C

Post by mcbpete »

dell1972 wrote:the next Orb album .... Thomas Fehlmann is working on it, with Lee Perry on it
Hell yeah :D
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lee perry + the orb = GOLD!!!!!!!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yes, I like a bit of dub in my Orb, not the other way around, so I might be giving it a miss.
Note: I really love the second half of The Dream.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Looks like Japan's getting another new Orb album this August? Details are fuzzy.

Also, is there any good Orb fan sites or boards like this lovely FSOL board?
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

That's the OrbServer, the Lee Perry collaboration. It's the rest of the world too. There's also an album of rare tracks currenly being drip fed one track at at a time per week at http://www.theorb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There's a blog there from alex. Haven't spotted any FSOLBoard type thing though for Orb fans. There's a yahoo group but it's very infrequent, and I've never been able to get any messages to come through.
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

I'm on some kind of mailing list

"orb digest" perhaps it's called?

the chatter is light but I bet with the news posted here it will pick up again for a month or two.
seems to get quiet in between releases/discoveries etc.

if you want to be added please pm me your email :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

"There's also an album of rare tracks currenly being drip fed one track at at a time per week at http://www.theorb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Is there any link that tracks these releases?

I went over there and noticed a track or two I don't recognize......but I'm not sure if these are the releases you're speaking of and I really don't want to sift through the billion single track downloads he has there lol

these tracks are $1 per download correct....not free?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Alex posts news of the rare tracks being released via his twitter page so it is a bit random:

https://twitter.com/#!/orbinfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also info about his weekly radio show there too, where I think he's been previewing new stuff from the forthcoming album.

He has a lot of single download tracks, but they're generally individual tracks from albums. If you select tracks and navigate to the end and scroll down, the rare tracks are there - seven of them so far.

http://www.theorb.com/tracks?category_i ... itstart=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One appeared in the last day actually - The Royal Blue Room, last week's being Portuguese Castles in Space. And yes, they're not free. It's variable quality. The bedrock dub mix of Once More is pretty anonymous for example. There's not really any details of what they are, or when they're from either, but some is quite nice.

I see on the website he's posted that OrbServer has a Japanese release in August, but that is all, no other comments.

I have a feeling I might already be on the Orb Digest actually, the name looks familiar. It occasionally bursts into life but hasn't for a while.
I am the eye that looks within
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

seedy wrote:if you want to be added please pm me your email :)
knowing about theOrb.com is probably enough of a source of orb news for me, but thanks! :)

I was hoping that some fan site was out there that posted any and all orb related news. wouldn't mind orb fans knowing about my album and Kris Weston's involvement in mastering it. 8-)
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

You could maybe join their [really pretty active] facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/TheOrb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) as anything Orb related seems to be on there before anywhere else. Plus I guess you could post info about your album on their wall...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

thanks a bunch dell - very helpful!

haha offland......this orb list actually is very much on top of all thing.....it just gets quiet when there are no rumors/discoveries etc. to speak of.
funny you mention kris though because he was on this list back in the day and BOY did he create a stir!
he's quite a personality that guy ;p
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Yes, I have the impression that Kris can be difficult to work with. I did not work directly with him on the Off Land album though. A mutual friend acted as a in between. He's a pretty nice guy but does not hold any of his opinions back. Brilliant and cynical.
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I still do not know what to make of 'The Dream'. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Definitely to much vocals with to much cheap RnB/Dancehall-attitude going on. But the more instrumental stuff is quite good.
I just noticed that I quite like 'Metallic Spheres'. When it came out I didn't like it at all, boring 3rd class psy-dub with even more boring D. Gilmore on top soloing himself and the listener to sleep. But it really grew on me. Still no masterpiece, but OK for an oldschool ambient dub record in the late night hours.
But I still think the only really great albums they released in the zeroes were 'Okie Dokie' and 'Baghdad Batteries'. So with Fehlmann again on the new album there's hope.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

I found Metallic Spheres grew off me, I enjoyed it a lot at first but over time got incredibly bored of it. The only album since Orblivion I ever actually listen to is Baghdad Batteries.
Ross

Post by Ross »

First track from Orbserver, and some pretty terrible artwork, here: http://theorb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what to make of it. I like the production, sounds very Fehlmanny, but I can't help feeling it's really quite boring.