The Orb - C Batter C

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

The Orb - C Batter C

Post by dell1972 »

I keep meaning to ask, any else given this a listen? It's been out a few weeks now.

Seems to be a very nostaligic, very british and slightly melancholy piece yet somehow still clearly having touches of Thomas Fehlmann about it. There's some very varied remixes that come with it as well, not to mention simply stunning packaging. The version I got from Malicious Damage actually has my name printed on a stick on label in the book inside cover and is signed by Alex, Thomas and Colesy.

I wasn't sure what to make of the original track originally, but it's really growing on me now.

Also, for those who do a spot of remixing (which I think is almost every member of this board except me), you can download individal parts and submit your own remix:

http://www.junodownload.com/remix_the_orb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am the eye that looks within
Akkya
Expander

Re: The Orb - C Batter C

Post by Akkya »

looks good, may have a crack at remixing this in the future, for an Archived Tranmissions Mix
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

It's good, but I can't say I really like it as much as the last album(s). I don't think this counts as a "new full-length album" anyway. Pretty cool what they did with the packaging for those who pre-ordered it!
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

RazorJack wrote:It's good, but I can't say I really like it as much as the last album(s). I don't think this counts as a "new full-length album" anyway. Pretty cool what they did with the packaging for those who pre-ordered it!
I agree, it's more like a very very deluxe single.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Oh yeah, I wanna get ahold of this, I've heard comparisons with Baghdad Batteries, which is a good thing. After a run of 'ugh' releases, Alex seems to have got his act together lately. Annoyingly I've already asked for all my Christmas presents.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

dell1972 wrote:
RazorJack wrote:It's good, but I can't say I really like it as much as the last album(s). I don't think this counts as a "new full-length album" anyway. Pretty cool what they did with the packaging for those who pre-ordered it!
I agree, it's more like a very very deluxe single.
Absolutely, I think they probably marketed it a little wrong - It's just one 17 minute track followed by remixes by various artists. I got the deluxe DVD version signed by the guys which more than made up for the price of the package but yeah for those thinking it's a new Orb 'Album' will definitely get disappointed.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

orb is simply the awesomeness

some days i can't decide whether i like fsol or the orb better

both.....are so perfect ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

^ this is the case with lots of people,

I like Orb very very much too, but FSOL are simply better in every possible angle :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

FSOL win because they didn't go through a phase of pretending they were rastafarians despite being fat bald white middle aged Englishmen, unlike a certain Mr. Patterson.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Is this look any better though ?!

RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

The Orb is great, but doesn't stand a chance against FSOL in my opinion.
Ross wrote:FSOL win because they didn't go through a phase of pretending they were rastafarians despite being fat bald white middle aged Englishmen, unlike a certain Mr. Patterson.
:mrgreen:

If you're referring to "The Dream", that's my favorite Orb album! Really the only Orb album that holds my attention from start to finish. I want the Japanese version with the bonus track!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha! funny with me is that the reggae dub aspect of the orb is part of what i love the most about them.

you can say that playing reggae music isn't exactly a specialty of the white man.....but imo reggae dub producing sees no racial advantage

i need not look any further than adrian sherwood to know that ;)
and imo alex has done quite a service to the reggae dub scene.
i just really REALLY love me some UK reggae dub.

Mad Professor + Dub Syndicate......are sick passions of mine!
easily i rank these two up with orb and fsol
oh yeahhhhh ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

psyche trips aside, they all have them...

FSOL always had more profound and more artistic and more weird-in-a-good-way sound than Orb - Orb are more beat driven and less innovative ...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

mcbpete wrote:Is this look any better though ?!

"Better" - not sure. More honest, definitely. Middle class white hippy, Gaz was that all along somewhere. I just find the first half of The Dream really, really embarrassing.
LOOK AT HIM.

Sorry, I tend to find Alex is a bit of a tedious prat most of the time and the only post-Terrarum stuff I like tends to be when Fehlmann keeps him in line.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I do like the dub stuff The Orb have done, even the first half of The Dream. Then again I do listen to quite a lot of reggae when I'm in the mood for it.

I think the best word to describe Alex when he's left to his own devices is Goofy. Fehlmann is a good influence on him. I'm only speculating but the same could possibly be said for Gaz and Brian's musical relationship.

I suspect you're going to really hate the next Orb album Ross. Even though Thomas Fehlmann is working on it, with Lee Perry on it, it's only ever going to be a dub album. Apparently they have recorded a new version of Little Fluffy Clouds in the same sessions. What were the skies like when you were young Lee? That one might require some editing... or maybe they could do a Blue Room length version with Lee Perry going off on one for an hour about aliens in his bloodstream or something...