Saw THE ORB last night

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: Saw THE ORB last night

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote:haha awesome...i envy your ride :)

ozric....i mean no doubt there is a slight level of "sameness" but i would actually just call that their signature sound/brand of psychedelia. it's like heavy arabesque pysch or something ;)

also....i think if you give them a more in depth chance you'll find that the albums actually aren't all that similar and you'll notice a fluid change in their sound over the years. the earliest stuff is raw, true space rock pioneering stuff. then they got into serious instrumental compositions. then they started to sound more electronic than "instrumental". nowadays they are a shadow of their former self. after "the hidden step" the band fell apart and became pretty much a solo project. these last few albums are still great but it's not the same...it's more electronic, "samey" as you say, and you can easily identify how little of a "band effort" the music is.

ozric to me is just completely f'n epic. their albums from the beginning through hidden step are tattoed to my soul!

porcupine tree.....man i've tried to like them so many times over the years...just don't really like the vocals and compositions. i will say though that their album METANOIA is all instrumental and i'm quite fond of that one :) i think it's maybe rare or unreleased idk because whenever i mention it to PT fans they have no idea what i'm talking about. seek it out if you don't have it!

final note along the lines of ozric......DUDE!
NODENS ICTUS - SPACELINES

this is the main ozric dude and the old drummer (who is now eat static).
this is album is ambient, lush, organic, tribal........just absolutely beautiful music. (no guitars or any heavy stuff....)

i've been stressing this album to this forum ever since i been here...so you buddy are no different :mrgreen:
Alright, I think I'll give Ozric Tentacles another try. Will just have to find time to fit them in ;)

I have Metanoia by Porcupine Tree. It was basically an jam session they had whilst coming up with ideas for the album Signify. It's cool, but I have other favourites by them.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Dennis wrote:@epitome: you def have to get "Orbus Terrarum" & "Orblivion", this was Orb at their best imo.
Got both of those, patiently sitting in my pile of unlistened-to CDs, which sadly seems to keep growing.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha nice dennis,
Dennis wrote: I'm sort of a 'completist' guy anyway, if I like a band or artist, I'm forced to get all albums, even the ones not so good ;) )
i guess you, me, and epitome are 3 peas in a pod! :P

truth be told this is probably most of us though....perhaps a common characteristic of a fsol fan?
or at least the diehard ones that frequent this place :)

epitome wrote: my pile of unlistened-to CDs, which sadly seems to keep growing.
DOOD i mean really.....you make me feel like i have multiple personalities when i read this!
now i need to check with my wife to make sure i was in fact in bed sleeping when your post was created.
if she says no....it's off to the doctor's office for me!

signed,
epito.......oh krap i mean SEEDY!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Used to be such a completist, but some point not so long ago I realised that possessions are a major factor in my depression and anxiety - got rid of about 1500 CDs/tapes/records in the past couple of years. It helped a huge amount. No more owning stuff I don't like. Other than the odd early FSOL 12" (got all the Humanoid stuff on vinyl)
The Orb stuff mostly went - everything after Orbus Terrarum. Not into the other stuff, but I dig the first three from time to time. Whole different beast to FSOL, the similarities are pretty superficial.

What kind of stuff are you into other than electronic stuff, epitome?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

interesting what you say about your possessions and the relief of giving them up Ross

i would love for you to explain that further.
could even PM me if you would rather talk there
or not at all if you want to just leave it at that

i have some similar feelings at times though.
it has to do with not using certain things i own.
my keyboard, snowboard, wakeboard, video games....i either don't have the time or finances to really do any of that stuff lately and just the fact that they are in my line of sight just refreshes that feeling.
so in that way i do get a bit of depression.... "there is my awesome snowboard i used to love riding....i would love to ride it today.....but i won't be and i've no clue when i will be again"

if i didn't have that thing to see......i wouldn't have this reminder. i also just look at it like $100s of dollars now going to waste as it collects dust.

ah life :P
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Don't take me down this road guys :)
I too am trying to slowly cure myself from the completist OCD... not that I want to - but as you say - life happens while I try to wield 25.000+ releases...

Buying physical originals - not a problem - I decided long ago that would be a handful of bands and some second-hand vinyls as it comes along. (I have about 900 physical releases.) After that my motto is: original in my hand or 320/V0 on my HDD. And I do have tons of HDDs - currently 10TBs + 10TBs more for back-up. The optical audio and speakers installation are a whole other theme.

And my HDD collection is the most organized one I've ever seen :) well, most organized private one.
And I've seen libraries, museums, TV & radio stations with less music and less organization. I've seen only one better organized collection in a museum/library.
I often wish some of you guys would have an opportunity to browse it some day, because in real-life I only know 4 or 5 people that really understand what is gong on in my collection...

On the other hand, the collection is never finished, and I dream of the day when it will be, but I also admit to myself that day may never come. Currently I'd say about 60-65% of the collection is organized up to my standards, but my classic-rock, jazz, local and classical music are a mess (this mess is better organized than most radio stations but it's still a mess).

And add on that the 6000 albums waiting on another HDD to be listened and then processed in the main collection - well, I don't know how I keep my sanity... or do I... keep it...
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:So far by The Orb I've listened to Metallic Spheres, Pomme Fritz and U.F.Orb.
Ooh two of those three (the first two) are generally considered their worst albums, so I'll only get better from there (well UFOrb may well be my favourite of theirs)!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I really liked Metallic Spheres - that was actually the first one I got and listened to. Kinda had a feeling of Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34.

Oh, and on the subject of depression/anxiety and material possessions - I can totally understand that. Sometimes I think I would actually be a lot more relaxed if I got rid of most of possessions. I could probably do it with DVDs and books... but not my precious CDs - NEVER!!!

To be honest, the amount of music I listen to causes me stress as well - because I can't find the time to listen to it all and I end up listening to music when I really should be doing something else, just to try and stop those unlistened-to CDs from piling up!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:What kind of stuff are you into other than electronic stuff, epitome?
Like I say, I used to mostly listen to rock music - and that's almost any kind you can think of except maybe not the Cookie Monster vocal black metal stuff.

Here's a few non-electronica bands I like, to give you an idea:
Green Day
The Smashing Pumpkins
Isis
Porcupine Tree
Therapy?
Dodgy
Gary Numan
Slipknot
Static-X
Off With Their Heads
Alice in Chains
Nirvana
Amen

They're just some of my favourites that sprang to mind. I'm not really into most chart music, like pop and hip hop stuff.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote:
epitome wrote: my pile of unlistened-to CDs, which sadly seems to keep growing.
DOOD i mean really.....you make me feel like i have multiple personalities when i read this!
now i need to check with my wife to make sure i was in fact in bed sleeping when your post was created.
if she says no....it's off to the doctor's office for me!

signed,
epito.......oh krap i mean SEEDY!
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean!
Ross

Post by Ross »

The reason I ask, I suppose, is that 'electronica' probably only counts for a third of my collection, so I'm always curious as to what others listening to - especially as a lot of people seem to fall largely on one side or the other of the electronic/rock line.
epitome wrote: Therapy?
Always good to see them turn up, most people seem to have forgotten they exist. Used to be one of my favourite bands.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:The reason I ask, I suppose, is that 'electronica' probably only counts for a third of my collection, so I'm always curious as to what others listening to - especially as a lot of people seem to fall largely on one side or the other of the electronic/rock line.
epitome wrote: Therapy?
Always good to see them turn up, most people seem to have forgotten they exist. Used to be one of my favourite bands.
They're still putting out great stuff. And I recently pre-ordered a boxset they're releasing... for £135. Still makes me cringe :P
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

So what are some of the other bands/artists you listen to, Ross?
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote:interesting what you say about your possessions and the relief of giving them up Ross

i would love for you to explain that further.
could even PM me if you would rather talk there
or not at all if you want to just leave it at that
A website a friend recommended to me might be interesting to you: http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

I also think epitome's point about stress caused by not listening to enough music comes into it. Having 2,000 plus records meant I was constantly worrying that I wasn't giving them all a fair listen, so I had music on at every available moment, which ended up with regular burnout moments when I couldn't listen to anything. So I got rid of everything but the records I love the most, and I don't miss any of the stuff I gave away or sold. And it means I listen to music slightly less, but give stuff a fairer listen.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:Having 2,000 plus records meant I was constantly worrying that I wasn't giving them all a fair listen, so I had music on at every available moment, which ended up with regular burnout moments when I couldn't listen to anything. So I got rid of everything but the records I love the most, and I don't miss any of the stuff I gave away or sold. And it means I listen to music slightly less, but give stuff a fairer listen.
Yeah, that sounds familiar. Although I haven't actually had any burnout moments.

My main problem is that I never feel like I can go back and listen to old stuff, as I constantly have new albums coming in that I want to give a fair listen to.

I'm still hoping I'll "catch up" one day, not have a pile of unplayed CDs and then I can get back to listening to what I want, when I want. I think I've been saying that for about 4 years now though.