Saw THE ORB last night

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Saw THE ORB last night

Post by mcbpete »

seedy wrote:um yeah funny you say this because just last week or so i was listening to an autechre/hafler trio disc and well let's just say it was a lot of rude f'n noises and nearly gave me a heart attack at full volume lol
shit was all quiet for so long then all of a sudden BAM!
CRACCCCKKKKKLECRACKCRACKBAM!
:shock:
i'm not sure i love this one....it's two discs 3ao ae3 or whatever the hell
Which one was it you were listening to - They did two CD albums, and a DVD collab one (all of which have jumpy moments and a very similarly titled!) - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Autechre+ ... afler+Trio
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

it was aeo3 (part of the 2 CD album)

that disc was rough
i'm not sure what i can take away from that one :!:
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I also have a boring desk job and can also sometimes listen to music at work - but it depends on who else is in the office and how busy we are. It definitely gets in the way of spending that whole 8 hours listening to music anyway ;)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

I've also seen The Orb last night, they were playing in my hometown!

Actually their set was part of a bigger festival, and honestly they were not my primary reason for going, but rather Sunn O))) was! If you know Sunn and The Orb, you'd probably agree when I say that musically they're like ice and fire. Complete opposites... That is also the exact kind of nature of this festival; mixed genre international multi-cultural blablabla. While I like the idea, it's still weird to have Sunn destroy the venue and see Alex and Thomas happily walk the stage half an hour later to start their mellow and trippy tunes to an audience of metalheads mixed with people in neat clothes who are ready to dance.

In all fairness I think The Orb was kind of boring. Most songs were barely recognizable from their original version, and the ambient interludes were getting a little tedious. My friend and I were getting really bored/sleepy/annoyed about halfway their set and we were just about to leave, when Towers Of Dub started, one of my favorite Orb songs! From there on things were a bit more upbeat and less boring until the end, an alternative (or messed up, depending on your point of view) version of Little Fluffy Clouds.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha i love those alt versions of the classics

i mean the original version are still THE versions but i like how they try to keep it fresh in that respect

idk who sunn 0))) is at all......perhaps they just tainted your palette for the orb or something

well to me anyhoo....the orb are really really high up in my ranking of all time favorites. so this just struck a heart chord :)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Yeah I think that's the thing, I consider myself a fan of The Orb, but they wouldn't be that high in my all time ranking.

I just wish they didn't scramble up the melody and beat of beautiful tunes such as Perpetual Dawn, Blue Room and Toxygene.

Respect though to Alex for using actual vinyl records!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Haha, Sunn O))) and The Orb on the same stage. I cannot imagine that working at all.
I saw Sunn O))) earlier this year, fantastic.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

That sounds like a great festival :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

there are a couple of really awesome festivals that europe gets that i can only dream about

nothing here has ever really interested me at all