jean michel jarre

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

jean michel jarre

Post by seedy »

ok so yeah.....apparently this dude is pretty f'n AWESOME???!?!

i mean...i've known of him....i've had oxygene for like 10 years now
for whatever reason the album never totally blew me away though and much like oldfield my impression was always "a bit too new age"

well.....as part of my youtube trek across the sonic universe i've been vetting both of these dudes much tighter and goddang if some of these JMJ albums aren't really great on first listen

out of like 8 albums i've heard now i'm really liking every one

haha one of those...."how the EFF have i been missing out on THIS???!!?!?" moments ;)

and so this board generally feels jarre > oldfield right?

now oldfield....while i hear stuff i like....he surely gets a bit too new age, pop, celtic etc.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: jean michel jarre

Post by Pandemonium »

I know exactly how you feel :)
When I got into those dudes years ago - I too was comparing JMJ, Oldfield and Vangelis :)
I started comparing them because all three of them are legendary composers and all three of them play (virtuously) 40+ instruments and they are just brilliant.

But after a long while, I figured out, there's nothing to compare...
JMJ is a fucking Legend, fact.
He's a pioneer electronic artist, but he is and always have been more on the POP side of things.
That being said, he's very enjoyable, and a fucking rock-star performer.
The top 10 biggest most awesome concerts ever, how many are by JMJ? Three... Four...
JMJ is dance music at its best.

Oldfield on the other hand, yeah, a bit too much new-age - but he's brilliant at it.
Dozens of legendary albums. Awesome composer/musician.

Vangelis, well, he's the mysterious one. His albums, just timeless...
I guess I could compare Oldfiled and Vangelis, but then Oldfield would lose...
(I'm sure Ross would disagree :) )

Vangelis is something like FSOL of the 70s/80s, highly overlooked and a true genius.
You're doin' too much, do less.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah vangelis i've been listening to as well.....also some of it is a bit too new age....cinematic maybe even idk

damn i'm listening to metamorpohses right now and just f'n groovin!
i see from another place this is one of pande's favorites too :mrgreen:

so peeps tell me some of your favorite oldfield/vangelis

i need no phucking help with JMJ i'm on another chilled out slide through the cosmos as we speak

B FLAT FIVE 8-)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol this album has some hints of the metroid prime soundtrack

=()
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Mike Oldfield has been one of my favourite musicians since I first got Tubular Bells when I was 12. But he does have an enormous amount of tat in his discography. He uses a fair bit of folk music in his stuff as that's what got him into playing guitar, so maybe if the whole Celtic/folk/world thing doesn't appeal then his albums are going to be a struggle.
The first four - Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations are pretty flawless for me, after that his move into poppier territory is largely a disaster. Platinum has some ok moments, and Crises is a decent pop album, but you're really waiting for Amarok after that, which is much like his earlier albums. Since then it's all been very new agey, but if you can get past the Enigma-style production, The Songs of Distant Earth is compositionally excellent. And the orchestral album Music of the Spheres is probably the nearest thing you'll find to his 70s work since then.

JMJ - I like Oxygene and Equinoxe, but the rest sit in a similar camp to 80s Tangerine Dream for me - quite nice but forgettable.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah i think i liked ommadawn the best out of the few albums i've heard thus far

the celtic/folk/new age type sound doesn't bug me per se but after awhile i guess i just grow tired of hearing it

almost one dimensional or something idk
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

hehe

check it out....i downloaded this one years ago =()

seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i'm surprised this thread didn't take off at all

well maybe this kick in the butt will help it :)

i got ross's favorite oldfields

let's hear from more of you - favorite oldfield and favorite vangelis

ross - what say you about vangelis?
Ross

Post by Ross »

I like the Blade Runner soundtrack a lot. That's my only exposure to date - maybe one day.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Kkhhhmm... I'll take a swing at Vangelis :)

[1972] Aphrodite's Child - 666 - a band before Vangelis went solo - amazing album, psychedelic rock, not far away from the AA sound, very very sweet sound.

[1973] L'Apocalipse des Animaux (The Animal Apocalypse) - just TIMELESS... this was my "go-to-bed" until I was 8 or 9 years old. classic... just try and listen to it 3 or 4 times and you'll be hooked for life!

[1975] Heaven and Hell - another Amazing album consisted of two 20+ minutes neo-classical ambient tracks.

[1976] Albedo 0.39 - probably his first album that can be called new age, also lots of experimental ambient here. Pulsar, Alpha and a few others are one of those tracks that you know but you didn't know that you knew them :)

[1977] Spiral - another timeless album, great cover, and it just gets better as it ages.

[1979] China - how much awesomeness should a European composer have to capture the Chinese folklore like this:

[1979] Opera Sauvage (Wild Opera) - another timeless album, another memento to my childhood:

[1980] See You Later - experimental, spawned the track that will two years later end up on Blade Runner

[1981] Chariots of Fire - majestic soundtrack, one of the best sport themes since the beginning of the universe:

[1982] Blade Runner - in my book, the greatest sci-fi movie ever made - ofcourse there are days when I doubt that, but... you know...

[1982] Missing [bootleg] - unreleased soundtrack - pure gold!

[1983] Antarctica - another great soundtrack, for a documentary I think...

[1984] Soil Festivities - ambient, one of those albums that you must listen start-to-end

[1985] Invisible Connections - ambient, drone (before it was cool...)

[1992] 1492, Conquest of Paradise - awesome movie, the soundtrack is orchestral, the whole soundtrack is just brilliant

[1995] Voices - timeless and highly overlooked album

[2001] Mythodea (Music for The NASA Mission 2001 Mars Odyssey) - incredible orchestral work - listen loud and start-to-end

- maybe it looks like a lot but this is just the beginning - virtually all of his albums and soundtracks are very very good and half of them borderline masterpieces.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Really liked the first and last of those two, very beautiful. Not a big fan of the others, but I will definitely have to explore those two records at some point.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

huh wow i'm pretty suprised ross hasn't fully vetted vangelis at this point!

thanks for the recs pande i know i've heard 3-4 of those thus far.
i do remember liking the conquest 1942 for the most part.
aphrodites i know a bit about from the mixes - i heard an album awhile back that was pretty good. i think some of that type stuff needs to grow on a person a bit.

nice.....i'll be checking these out :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

I could probably list a hundred artists I haven't got around to checking out but want to. Never enough time in the world for all the good music.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha right?

i guess that's why it took me so long to really know what JMJ is all about!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

whelp.....might as well keep this thread going somehow......

what do yall think of:

robert rich
steve reich
steve roach

????