jean michel jarre

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: jean michel jarre

Post by Pandemonium »

Robert Rich - I know very little of this one, heard about 5 tracks from him... not bad but not good enough to get my attention for longer...

Steve Reich - one of the old generations of classically (and jazz) trained composers that started the American minimalism (with Phillip Glass, Terry Riley etc.) Has some interesting stuff but also some boring and irritating albums too. Philip Glass on the other hand, I like almost all of his albums, and he has a LOT.

Steve Roach - another US composer of ambient and new age - has tons of albums, generally interesting, but no WOW effect. I'm sure if I'd listen to all of them I'll dig out a few great ones... but no time for that right now :)

- I guess they're a separate US music scene I haven't gotten into much, mostly because of time, and there are a lot more interesting scenes I'd explore both in the present and the past.

- I see Seedy is trying to tease us with some American electronic music :) I doubt it's gonna work :) but it's worth a try...

"...if only we didn't age when listening to music..."
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yeah, I find Robert Rich and Steve Roach don't really have any excitement or edge in their music to really latch on to.
Steve Reich is more interesting than enjoyable, but stuff like Different Trains is pretty nice.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha no def not pande....i didn't even know those were americans.
and come to think of it....do i listen to ANY american electronica?? i think not! i'll have to think about it deeper but nobody jumps out at me. lol that's crazy yet totally not.....because we've never really understood electronica beyond whatever the pop world is forcing on us (disco, house, and now this brostep krap)

anyhoo these 3 i've just read about as influential or standouts in the genre etc. i just don't know how much i like them yes, def a lot of minimalism which can be too ahem "much" for me ;)
philip glass i would lump in the same. terry riley i'm still exploring....some is really cool but i've heard some stuff that's grating too.

this album i've heard most of and it's pretty cool.....i need to better digest it still though:
http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Rich-Stev ... ase/145454

here's one last one...DAVID SYLVIAN
I like plenty of his stuff w/ fripp because well i love fripp

but his solo i'm checking out as i type this.
heard a 20 min tune yesterday i liked...right now i'm listening to "when loud weather...."
idk.....this is some cool noises but slike not very.....musicish =()
it's just like......an aura?

ps - where the hell is everyone? our most regular folks around here must have receded :(
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Sylvian is a cool cat, he's been working experimental electronics for 15 years,
but before that, he still had electronics but in a avant-garde progressive rock kind of way.
He's basically a rocker in mindset but does good electronic albums.

I must say I've heard very little of his albums, mostly because my personal statistics have shown that I don't like rock people that went into electronic music, or post-rock people like Radiohead - I mean of-course I like an album or two but I generally don't listen to them.
I don't know why, I like a lot of REAL rock bands, but not rock bands that went into electronic music. (in general)

@PS - yeah, I don't know why more people don't join in, I mean Loose, Tito, Offland, Dubmasta and about 5 others... they just post in the Terminal thread from time to time and that's about it... maybe they're just lazy and/or don't like to TALK about MUSIC :)

otherwise, of-course there are a LOT of cool names in the American electronic scene:

Bill Laswell
Harold Budd
The Crystal Method - they've gone soft but the old stuff is amazing...
DJ Shadow (& Cut Chemist) - & the whole scratching / cutting / sampling scene
Flying Lotus
Venetian Snares (he's Canadian...)
Front Line Assembly (Canadians again...)
the whole (REAL) techno scene: Jeff Mills / Robert Hood / Juan Atkins / Underground Resistance / Josh Wink / Drexciya etc etc. (love these guys)
the whole electro scene is not bad either: ADULT. / Felix da Housecat / Fischerspooner
You're doin' too much, do less.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

I've got 2 JMJ albums Oxygene and Equinox. I prefer Equinox but Oxygene is decent as well. As for Vangelis, I have the Blade Runner soundtrack (what person who listens to electronic music doesn't) which i like, and i have Heaven and Hell which i got for cheap somewhere. For me Heaven and Hell is hit and miss. In places it's beautiful genius in others it can get on your wick a bit with the boom clash, clatter overuse of heavy percussion. Also it has almost a pantomime feel to it in places if you know what i mean. It's hard to explain. The best part of it for me is a 6 or 7 min part about half way through the second side.

The only Mike Oldfield album I've listened to is tubular bells. It's actually my mum and dad's, they bought it just for the exorcist track lol. Not listened to it for some time, but i remember being pleasantly surprised, it was better than i expected.

I have quite a few tangerine dream albums from around the 70's, 80's which i really like. and some of Eno's ambient stuff from that era but i'd say his stuff is more atmospheric and less upbeat than some of the above.
Ross

Post by Ross »

David Sylvian... Secrets of the Beehive is a stunner, although not electronic at all... folky orchestral songs. Deeply beautiful though.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ok now we're picking up some steam! :)

hmmm i gotta believe our infrequent friends are just busy with that thing called life. surely they haven't strayed from their love of fsol - of that we can be sure ;)

out of that list pande i surely love me some bill laswell though he's pretty worldly and not just limited to electronica.
venetian snares i like ok too.
the rest i either don't really like or never heard of.
are you missing some techno peeps? carl craig, carl cox, derrick may? i don't listen to these peeps but i assume they would be lumped in with that elite techno group?
actually i do have one derrick may w/ system 7 - mysterious traveller. great album! and those other two have remixed sys 7 before.

ok i'm finishing up this sylvian album right now.....i think it was entertaining for one listen only. it wasn't music - only atmosphere. NEXT!

the haze - there is a bit of upbeat eno out there you just gotta sift through. i'm sure peeps here could easily name a few....i'm still a newbie so i don't recall which albums they were offhand.

ok....i'm off to another sylvian album on youtube. let's see how this one goes :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

woah!
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

seedy wrote:

the haze - there is a bit of upbeat eno out there you just gotta sift through. i'm sure peeps here could easily name a few....i'm still a newbie so i don't recall which albums they were offhand.
Yeah thanks for that. I was only originally interested in his ambient outings, but after listening to some of his other stuff it was quite interesting. I'll find some samples to listen to.

I do like the ambient series especially 4 On Land, which is my favorite Eno album i own. A lot of people tend to prefer Music for Airports but i can't listen to that one unless i'm in a specific mood where i can properly appreciate it.
Ross

Post by Ross »

My favourite Eno stuff is that which falls halfway between ambient and pop - Another Green World and Before & After Science.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

I've heard a lot of people say good things about Another Green World. I'll have to check it out.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha weird ross....i know you love that eno but figured you still loved the most ambient best. just knowing how much you like biosphere i woulda guessed that.

music for airports and that on land i'm not sure.
actually i know that airports is far from my favorite.
i'll have to report back as i make my second run through stuff. i def prefer a bit of ambient melody or something that he does to keep it from being super ambient atmospheric on some albums.

whatevs im rambling
all said i think MY favorite might be different albums than the both of you...which is pretty cool as it just speaks to the huge diversity that he ended up pulling off :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

The thing is, I really don't go for anything on a stylistic level. I listen to a fairly diverse range of stuff and I can't say I like ambient any more than pop or punk or... well, anything. I love down to Earth simple music as much as high concept atmospheric stuff.
In fact, most of my favourite releases probably don't sit in regular genre brackets very easily at all. I've had so many friends convinced I'll love/hate something when they play it to me, and more often than not they're wrong!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha nice

in music.....diversity is good :)