Same Songz

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Same Songz

Post by dell1972 »

Tangerine Dream were guilty of recycling their own melodies. I recall someone posting a clip online of one of the tracks from the Poland album - I think it was the later part of Tangent (or possibly the faster part of Barbakane), and it was basically Choronzon played backwards pretty much note for note. Mind you, as Bill Hicks used to say, why would you play music backwards, if you're playing music backwards, you are the devil...

As for not necessarily the same song, but quite influenced by, I always thought Brian and Gaz used Hawkwind's Electronic No. 1 as a starting point for Lifeforms Path 2 (minus the Clangers style noises of course).
I am the eye that looks within
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Why guilty dell? I dont think there is a band on Earth who recycle their own melodies, samples and loops more than FSOL do, and use them in their other tracks. Years ago I used to be very skeptical about this approach, thinking that each sound belongs and must belong to one piece and only. After years and years of listening to FSOL and analyzing their music I realized that its not true at all, I began to think if the greatest ever electronica band tends to do it and quite often actually, spreading sounds from track to track, from album to album, then its not a problem but instead it means something. Then I thought why not me, an insignificant humble music experimentalist, I tried doing it myself years ago and keep on doing so in my music until today.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I didn't mean it as it being a bad thing. The funny thing about it is I'd listened to both songs for over a decade completely unaware of the link between the two. The fact that it was note for note the same melody played backwards was a surprise.

I wonder if they did regularly play melodies backwards to see if they sounded worthwhile or any better. To use a business cliche, I guess that's what they call thinking outside of the box. Mind you at least one of their early tracks was released on a compilation backwards by accident by the record company. That's Virgin for you, I'm surprised that they never made that faux pas with FSOL.

At the end of the day there's a lot of recycling of music in the music business, often bands recycling their own stuff. As long as it's cleverly done that's fine with me.

It's a bit painful when it's not done cleverly or creatively mind. The latest album from Black Sabbath for example is very diffficult to listen to. It's so easy to spot which classic tracks they based each new one on.
I am the eye that looks within
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

You know, I actually loved the new Black Sabbath album :) The only thing I hate about it is that Bill Ward is not on it, even if I love the way Brad Wilk plays the drums on the album.

One thing I love about FSOL that makes them so important to me apart from the magnificent music that they make which has influenced me to the bones, is the fact that they have been together for a lifetime, despite Garry's obsession with psychedelic rock in his Amorphous phase. This gives me the definition of a family, the absolute dedication to the idea that they both once believed in and keep on believing. As much as Im in love with their music, this very thought gives me the chills down my spine, thats why I love them so much.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Sometimes a band loses inspiration and ends up re-writing old material without knowing it, which is when it becomes painful.

On the other hand, I actually prefer The Man in the Rain by Mike Oldfield to Moonlight Shadow, despite it being a massive ripoff.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Ólafur Arnalds - Allt varð hljótt

Max Richter - Garden (1973)/Interior

Of course Max has reused this same theme in many of his pieces (Europe After The Rain for example). Not sure if Max came up with this melody or if he repurposed it from somewhere else. Both are great pieces though.
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

a few parts of this one has some undertones that sound like the songs mentioned in my first post

oh...and also f'n STELLAR video and chune too ;)

seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol...when you get to a little after 2 min on the sabres track....the similarity is there
maybe the dude that made the soundtrack tune was a fan :P
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Came across this one yesterday, was driving me mad where I'd heard the melody in the first track before.

EDIT: Now that post them together they sound nothing alike :D
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Nah, I can completely understand how you made that link. They have lots of differences, but there's a similarity in approach.

That's a nice mix of the Orb track, I never liked the album version too much but this is lovely.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh that orb tune JUST rules ;)

haha def not the same but the similarities are surely there!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

seedy wrote:

lol...when you get to a little after 2 min on the sabres track....the similarity is there
maybe the dude that made the soundtrack tune was a fan :P
can we just revisit this one once more?

f'n haunts me to this day lol

is this just pure coincidence?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh poo i see that the OG sabres was taken down

it's smokebelch II though i don't recall which version really was THE closest to this theme song

and