Voyager: Sounds of the Cosmos

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
kornbean
Hardhead

Voyager: Sounds of the Cosmos

Post by kornbean »

Hey, guys! First of all, let me just say it's nice to see everything up and running again. And now for the real reason for this thread.

https://sites.google.com/site/soundsoft ... icial/home
Admittedly this isn't exactly music, but it's presented as such, and if you ask me, could easily be mistaken for some intentional compositions. And since this whole thing can be a bit confusing, I'll try to sum it up so none of you have to go through the trouble. :)

Voyager: Sounds of the Cosmos is a compilation of amplified radio wave emissions recorded by the NASA Voyager 1 & 2 space probes during their journeys throughout the outer solar system, and more specifically, amidst the outer planets. The album is currently on its third issue, as it's been compiled and discontinued twice before. As with the previous issues, the album is available in three editions: the Standard Edition, the Grand Tour Edition, and the Legacy Edition. The Grand Tour Edition is the most concise, consisting of an exemplary track for each outer planet and Earth. The Legacy Edition is the most comprehensive, consisting of about 8 hours worth of audio across 19 tracks. The Standard Edition is somewhat less extensive than the Legacy Edition, but omits almost all of the extra-aural bonus material that comes with either the Grand Tour or Legacy Editions. Aside from the three different versions of the album, there are a few singles available, basically shortened edits of the more popular tracks from the album.

Anyhow, I have an affection for this sort of cosmic stuff and thought maybe some of you here might enjoy it as well. Now, this album was only recently relaunched, so the Legacy Edition has yet to meet its release date, and though the Standard Edition's release date was two days ago, the download link has yet to appear on the website. And since all of the copyrights to these recordings belong to NASA, it's all free. :lol:
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Voyager: Sounds of the Cosmos

Post by mcbpete »

Woah, I've only heard Closest Approach To Jupiter and am very intrigued in hearing the rest - It sounds like something by Thomas Koner. Are these really amplified radio wave emissions with no further tweaking, if so then colour me impressed !
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Pretty cosmic stuff! The singles are quite compelling, so I might have to delve a bit deeper. I'd heard about these before but never quite got round to listening to it. Thanks for posting it!
I am the eye that looks within
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I'll check it out too :)
I'm a sci-fi freak :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I have the complete 1989 version of Nasa Voyager Recordings 2, simply amazing. The whole cosmos is an orchestra
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

mcbpete wrote:Woah, I've only heard Closest Approach To Jupiter and am very intrigued in hearing the rest - It sounds like something by Thomas Koner. Are these really amplified radio wave emissions with no further tweaking, if so then colour me impressed !
Unless there's some pretty consistent misleading going on, aside from some restoration in quality, these recordings are completely unedited to my knowledge. Closest Approach to Jupiter seems to be the most popular out of any of these recordings, and probably because of its unreal sound. However, you should hear the Uranus approach (titled Crossing Uranus' Rings, Part 1 (Approach) on this issue). I still find that one hard to believe at times. :)