What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Dennis »

That new Orbital track is epic.

The artwork also seems to hint for a resurrection of the glorious 'Snivilisation'/'In Sides'-sound, so indeed high hopes for this! And this time please without any half baked 'Dubstep' or 'EDM' experiments :)
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It's a considerably stronger track to launch the album with than 'Never' was (although that track grew on me). And yeah, I'm really happy they've gone back to the hand-drawn art rather than the CG stuff from Work, Blue and Wonky which didn't suit the band at all.
'Tiny Foldable Cities' still features that really tight / compressed drum sound that they've been using since The Altogether, which is a shame - bring back the big chunky Roland machines please guys - but otherwise yeah, I have fairly high hopes for this. Paul admitted that Wonky was mostly made to give them new material to play live - hence the fucking dubstep version of 'Satan' - but everything about this new one feels a lot more genuinely creative.

This and My Kingdom Re-Imagined combined are doing such a good job of making those new Orb tracks seem even more laughably bad than they do of their own accord.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, the guy who made the Snivilisation and In Sides covers makes pretty awesome art, some kind of psychedelic, surrealistic still lives, totally love this:

Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

GAS - Rausch

Didn't quite like 'Narkopop', seems to me somewhat pointless meandering, but this one is ace. Best GAS-release so far I would say.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Dennis wrote:Yeah, the guy who made the Snivilisation and In Sides covers makes pretty awesome art, some kind of psychedelic, surrealistic still lives, totally love this:

I'm really looking forward to the new Orbital record, everything I've heard so far sounds great. On the artwork front you should check John Greenwood's site, there are definitely some things you'll recognise there.

http://johngreenwoodartist.com/home.html
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

The Orb - No Sounds are Out of Bounds

Listened to this last night, laying on the sofa on a warm, sunny evening after a long week and it really hit the spot. Upbeat summer vibes :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's about 37 times better than I expected it to be, after they released the three worst tracks as singles. I'd totally written it off until I read a lot of positive responses on Facebook.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

It's a slightly odd album. With the mixture of material on here it feels like it shouldn't work (having some tracks with vocals that are more or less pop songs alongside more abstract and ambient pieces) but somehow it all seems to fit together. The title makes sense, considering the variety of styles on here. It also seems to have been released at the perfect time of year because it really seems to suit these hot, bright days.
Ross

Post by Ross »

There's definitely a touch of Bicycles & Tricycles about the bizarre disparity in sounds. I'm not sure how well it works as an album, but the more ambient tracks - particularly the last two - are excellent.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Were Bicycles & Tricycles and Okie Dokie both summer albums too? Seem to have 'end of uni semester' memories of listening to them both whilst outside on the grass.....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Bicycles was definitely a summer album for me too. I remember the Fehlmann-tracks on that album fitted the summerheat perfectly.
Okie Dokie was late summer/early fall 2005, when i had it on heavy rotation along with "Alice in Ultraland" and "Campfire Headphase", which must have come out around the same time. I always have this autumnal impression, when listening to those.

np: PHUK by Orbital

Damn, the next killer track from the new album. Only wish it was longer. This track screams for 2-part longform-treatment a la "Nothing Left". The album seems to go in "Middle of Nowhere"/"Altogether"-Territory, which is nice. Hopefully there will be also some longer tracks on it.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Really liking both P.H.U.K. and Tiny Foldable Cities. P.H.U.K. is over seven minutes long, which makes it longer than almost everything on their last three albums, which is a good sign too.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Cool. I only saw the video, which is only 3 minutes or so. I must admit, I'm pretty much hyped for this album :)

Also pretty curious about the new Orb. Will definitely give it a listen. Seems it's not that bad at all from what I've read so far.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Juno Reactor - The Mutant Theatre
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

epitome wrote:Juno Reactor - The Mutant Theatre
And ? :)
Did you liked it ?

I really liked it, considering it's a trance-dance record.
They have a lot of the old-skool sound, but also new sounds, and the sound production is off the chart !
You're doin' too much, do less.