What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:
epitome wrote:Syntax - Tripolar

This came out 6 years ago and I only just found out about it.
Holy shit! I only found out about Syntax this year and been listening to Meccano Mind like crazy. I'm a huge Fluke fan, so needless to say this was a pleasant surprise. Somehow I missed this too, gonna grab ASAP!
Years ago I made a little EP of Meccano Mind b-sides - look for Woman, Sexograph and Love Song if you don't have them :)

Really enjoying this Tripolar EP. I guess that's the last thing they'll ever do though.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

epitome wrote:
tryptych wrote:
epitome wrote:Syntax - Tripolar

This came out 6 years ago and I only just found out about it.
Holy shit! I only found out about Syntax this year and been listening to Meccano Mind like crazy. I'm a huge Fluke fan, so needless to say this was a pleasant surprise. Somehow I missed this too, gonna grab ASAP!
Years ago I made a little EP of Meccano Mind b-sides - look for Woman, Sexograph and Love Song if you don't have them :)

Really enjoying this Tripolar EP. I guess that's the last thing they'll ever do though.
Yeah I have them (Japanese edition of MM). Gonna listen to Tripolar tonight with some proper, umm, concentration :D

You are probably aware of 2 Bit Pie, right? Both of these projects are criminally underrated IMO, but I'd still give my left testicle for a new Fluke album.
from the source flows the endless...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote: Yeah I have them (Japanese edition of MM). Gonna listen to Tripolar tonight with some proper, umm, concentration :D

You are probably aware of 2 Bit Pie, right? Both of these projects are criminally underrated IMO, but I'd still give my left testicle for a new Fluke album.
Yeah, I really like the 2 Bit Pie stuff as well. And Fluke, of course (particularly Puppy and Risotto). I don't think any of those guys are up to much these days, are they?
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

epitome wrote:
tryptych wrote:Yeah, I really like the 2 Bit Pie stuff as well. And Fluke, of course (particularly Puppy and Risotto). I don't think any of those guys are up to much these days, are they?
Apparently not, which is a shame.. Puppy and Risotto are my favorites too, OTO's second half is great too.

Listened to Tripolar btw.. besides the opening track, not really my cup of tea, way different than Meccano Mind.

Been playing Trash Deity's debut lately (Groovie Mann from My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult and some other dude), it's like having a brand new TKK album, love it :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:
epitome wrote:
tryptych wrote:Yeah, I really like the 2 Bit Pie stuff as well. And Fluke, of course (particularly Puppy and Risotto). I don't think any of those guys are up to much these days, are they?
Apparently not, which is a shame.. Puppy and Risotto are my favorites too, OTO's second half is great too.

Listened to Tripolar btw.. besides the opening track, not really my cup of tea, way different than Meccano Mind.
It is quite different to Meccano Mind but I do like it. Thorns and Roses is my favourite track.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Herbaliser - Something Wicked This Way Comes (2002)

I love listening to this type of shit on my headphones while taking a walk outside and smoking.. Organic, instrumental hip hop pioneers.

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (1988, 2014 remaster 'tho)

Just getting into these guys, pretty abstract & ambient stuff for being so popular. Good so far!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Talk Talk got a pretty big fanbase from their previous album, The Colour of Spring, which allowed them to take them time really make the album they wanted to. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are both hugely influential masterpieces.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

+1 for the Herbaliser :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Devilish Trio - Words Of The Warlocks
Past Junts (2018)

Been listening to these guys A LOT lately. Discovery of the year for me, I think. Wouldn't have thought I'd ever say that about a rap/hip-hop artist. That new one from Cypress Hill is also beyond awesome :-) Can't wait to see them live in December.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I grew up with 90's hip hop, especially CH, Wu-Tang, the whole G-Funk thing and Mobb Deep etc.. Nowadays it's more jazzy/Ninja Tune type of stuff (and some occasional golden era tracks here & there).

Pretty groovy shit on this new Trash Deity remix EP.. love the polished production compared to the old Thrill Kill Kult material
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree

Nice. Has that typical 90ies ambient-feel of albums like 76:14 or "Remotion" by Global Communication. Recently I got all their other albums as well, like them very much.

Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps & Red Queen To Gryphon Three

Wonderful british prog-band from the seventies with a heavy emphasis on a folky, medieval, renaissance- & baroque-based style. Like a cross between "Ommadawn"-era Mike Oldfield and some Gentle Giant stuff. Mostly instrumental with lots of acoustic instruments, woodwinds, violins, flutes and harpischord. Very very lovely.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Dennis wrote:Carbon Based Lifeforms - Twentythree

Nice. Has that typical 90ies ambient-feel of albums like 76:14 or "Remotion" by Global Communication. Recently I got all their other albums as well, like them very much.
Interestingly I find this one the least like Global Communication of all their stuff, what with it being mostly beatless. Excellent group though, all of their albums are strong.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Cranium Pie - Mechanisms Part 1 (2011)

Finally got to listening to them. Mental stuff! Have to dig in deeper some day. 4½/5.

Farflung / Black Rainbows - Farflung & Black Rainbows (2012)

Farflung always delivers , the other band is just OK. 3½/5

Cocksure - Be Rich (2018)

Their weakest so far, but still 4-/5.

Elysian Fields - Pink Air (2018)

Wasn't expecting much since their recent material (seriously, what happened to them? "Queen Of The Meadows" and "Bleed Your Cedar" were awesome), but it's still better than their last one. 3½/5.

Frank Black - Frank Black (1993)

I'm a Pixies fan and totally forgot about his solo stuff until I saw the video on B&B a few weeks back.. funny stuff. Dunno really how to rate this.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Orbital - Blue Album

Just listened to this one since ages for the first time again, and was surprised how much of the album i like actually, esp. the first 5 tracks are pretty much ok to my ears. Definitely on par with the most stuff on Wonky although with a much darker tone of course. Bath Time and Acid Pants are the only real failures to me. Perfect Sunrise is ok, but tries too hard to be Halcyon Part 2 (and fails), and is a bit very 'Orbital by numbers'.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

'Transient' is one of my favourite Orbital tracks, and 'Pants' is decent. 'Lost' and 'Tunnel Vision' always go in one ear and out of the other for me, although they're pleasant enough. 'You Lot' has grown off me over time, it sounds really thin and plasticky to me these days. The remaining four tracks I can't stand, though. 'Acid Pants' is a career low, and 'One Perfect Sunrise' is such a 'Halcyon Part 2' type track I find it really embarrassing. I've heard far, far worse albums, but it's the only Orbital record where, after the first two tracks at least, I do wonder why they really bothered making it. It really feels like it was just put together so they had a final album to break up on. I rate Wonky and Monsters Exist far, far higher in general.