What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Motorik
Hardhead

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Motorik »

Getting really into the Ghostpoet album.

dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Ross wrote:Your second point is intriguing and, were Simpsons quotes still cool, I'd ask to subscribe to your newsletter.
Source of point (scroll down, and possibly click more): http://www.myspace.com/seafarhegira" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new Seafar EP on fsoldigital 11.11.11

As for this actual thread. I listened to lots of board stuff all of which was really very great:
Obliquity - Obliquity 1
Offland - Microcosm
Noisesurfer - Evening Road (why has it taken me so long to listen to this, it's great)
I am the eye that looks within
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Biosphere - N-Plants (2011)

Impressive work, I was really looking forward to this album. What I do not like at all though, are some high-frequency pitches in the background that can be heard in some tracks that contain (vocal) samples. Did Geir not hear this? I'm guessing he's physically unable to hear those kinds of frequencies anymore, keeping his age in mind and all. To me however, it sounds extremely intrusive and annoying and is the deal-breaker for purchasing the album :-( A quick look at the spectrum in like Winamp or something shows a continuous huge peak at the far end of some songs...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I'm not such a fan of Broderick's singer songwriter stuff, his voice annoys me a little, but the instrumental/modern classical approach he does better than most.

Nest - Retold
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The Beatles - Get Back
You're doin' too much, do less.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Darkfloor
Hardhead

Post by Darkfloor »

Warlock and Noyeahno on Sub FM. So lots of bass.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

i can see a list of fantastic listenings you guys. Awesome, i can sense this time most of us here tend towards modern classical approach and im especially happy about it. "Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto" what can i say, absolutely nothing, i better shut up here. Caretaker/Leyland Kirby is also among my favorite stuff, a unique style in Caretaker which i remember had impressed me when i had listened to his stuff last year. Deaf Center & Murcof, God, im dying here - music i can listen to all day, every day, my favorite artists. For those who are mad about Deaf Center (me that is) i suggest you download their "Live in Moscow" which is free and totally mindblowing and also definitely go for their (Otto A. Totland) "Nest" project (just noticed Ross has already mentioned it), which is amazing and very very beautiful. These last days had some OST listenings, "Labyrinth", "Dark City", "The Others" and "The Number 23". Yesterday was a day for "Murcof, Erik Truffaz & Talvin Singh - Live At Miles Davis Hall" (usually a winter day listening, but a total killer), Vidna Obmana - Crossing The Trail (within my top 5 artists ever), Mick Chillage - FAXology which i highly recommend for those who love truly beautiful ambient!!! Now listening to Hammock - Kenotic, great for chilly, breezy summer sunday...
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think Deaf Center backed themselves into a corner with Pale Ravine because nothing since has been able to compare. The Nest album is fantastic, but a bit long and maybe a tad piano-heavy; Owl Splinters is a touch too heavy on the cello drones. A compromise between the two would be fantastic however. I do love the modern classical thing though, from the electronic-esque artists through to actual composers. I've been listening to a disc of piano music composed by Gavin Bryars lately and it's indescribably beautiful. This disc is essential for anyone interested in contemporary piano music.

I find FSOL's move in this direction incredibly exciting, as it fits Gaz's interest in organic sounds and Brian's focus on cool, icy atmospheres perfectly. I really hope Environments 4 continues in the vein of the previous two records.

Speak of Murcof, currently playing The Versailles Sessions, which I'm still undecided on. Obviously as a soundtrack it can't be judged in 'standard' terms, but as much as I love the purely acoustic approach, it really doesn't have the atmosphere of the previous albums.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

RazorJack wrote:Biosphere - N-Plants (2011)

Impressive work, I was really looking forward to this album. What I do not like at all though, are some high-frequency pitches in the background that can be heard in some tracks that contain (vocal) samples. Did Geir not hear this? I'm guessing he's physically unable to hear those kinds of frequencies anymore, keeping his age in mind and all. To me however, it sounds extremely intrusive and annoying and is the deal-breaker for purchasing the album :-( A quick look at the spectrum in like Winamp or something shows a continuous huge peak at the far end of some songs...
Hmm, as far as I can see (err, hear !) the only track with a voice sample that does that is the last one (Fujiko).There's only only one other track on that album that features any vocals (Monju-1) but that doesn't have any high-frequency shenanigans on the vocals - though there are some high pitched (~15khz) harmonics on one of the synths. Have you got some sort of wonky rip of the album maybe ?
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

"Gavin Bryars", im ashamed to say that ive never heard of this artist, youve got my attention here Ross :) if you are familiar with his music id appreciate it if you could suggest his darker works, or written in "minor"
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

dubmasta wrote:id appreciate it if you could suggest his darker works, or written in "minor"
I'd say that this album is pretty darn essential - http://boomkat.com/downloads/65748-gavi ... tanic-1969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's a collaboration between Bryars, Phillip Jeck and Alter Ego)
Ross

Post by Ross »

The collection I linked to contains my favourite music that he's composed, all minor key, very melancholic piano music (the concerto also features strings and a choir), some based on - I think - 13th century music.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

mcbpete wrote:
dubmasta wrote:id appreciate it if you could suggest his darker works, or written in "minor"
I'd say that this album is pretty darn essential - http://boomkat.com/downloads/65748-gavi ... tanic-1969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's a collaboration between Bryars, Phillip Jeck and Alter Ego)

thanks pete, the album looks very interesting and has intrigued me already to listen to it...
Ross wrote:The collection I linked to contains my favourite music that he's composed, all minor key, very melancholic piano music (the concerto also features strings and a choir), some based on - I think - 13th century music.
ok, im focusing on this one then since its in minor. ive never really liked playing or listening to any major key compositions, apart from those written and played by Harold Budd who i simply adore and worship. And J.S. Bach of course, who is the absolute musical Zeus for me, the greatest composer ever lived on this planet, whos compositions are not totally in major key because his major blends into minor and vice versa so perfectly that you dont even notice it. If anything is perfect in this life, its Bach's music. In winter, my psycosynthesis changes so much that i get obsessed sooo much with Bach that i listen to his music only for months, probably because i find it the most therapeutic effect for my soul. For some reason i want to hear that drama in the music. Im definitely checking this compilation by Bryars...
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

-Brian Eno - Drums Between the Bells

-Second Thought - Live awakenings 2011

Great Level here on forum ,I heard something artist but i need search for more contemporaneans Modern Classical sure.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human