What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, this became pretty addictive for me as well, almost kind of overheard it in the last couple of days. Feel the urge to get back to sth. less ADS-style, maybe very slow drone ambient...

It's incredible, those melodies stuck in my head for weeks now, this will be remembered as one of the classic electronic music releases of this decade for sure - at least by me :)

PS: There are bits 'n pieces around this album that remind me much of Burial somehow - the reverbed and echoed vocals and synths here and there kind of evoke the same mood imo although the overall style of the album is completely different of course..
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Dennis wrote:Yeah, this became pretty addictive for me as well

you talking about this Oneohtrix just mentioned?
well i assumed you were so between the two of ya i checked this out

was interested to learn he's the eccojam guy though that vaporwave stuff isn't really my thing

anyway i listened to about half this album and had to stop
just not melodic enough for me. can't find the flow. was jarring.

i liked the videos for that sticky drama though :P
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

np Plaid - Not for Threes

Don't know why but I have an urge to listen to this every year when winter comes.
Diego_H
Hardhead

Post by Diego_H »

Larks' Tongues In Aspic, by King Crimson at the moment.

I love 'Not for Threes' too. 'Rakimou' is an amazing pretty track hypnotize me everywhere.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

crimson is ace ;)

here are some i'm hitting up lately, all for the first time:
michael stearns
aural float
michael rother
move d
mark seelig

liking all of these :)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons Of Gold

Damn this rocks so hard - wish this guy will keep releasing another albums in the future...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

idk who mentioned him here first but i listened to his first album the other day

was pretty good but not blown away
i'm ready to check out the next one soon
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Dennis wrote:VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons Of Gold

Damn this rocks so hard - wish this guy will keep releasing another albums in the future...
Yeah that album really is something else, was my definite album highlight of 2010. If you didn't already know he put out an album last year - http://www.discogs.com/VHS-Head-Persist ... ter/721268 and has an EP out next week - https://boomkat.com/products/sarah-eat- ... _id=107759
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk

Really nice album.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

mcbpete wrote:
Dennis wrote:VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons Of Gold

Yeah that album really is something else, was my definite album highlight of 2010. If you didn't already know he put out an album last year - http://www.discogs.com/VHS-Head-Persist ... ter/721268 and has an EP out next week - https://boomkat.com/products/sarah-eat- ... _id=107759
Yeah, I have "Persistence..." too, fantastic album. Forgot that it was released just a year ago. So there may be another two years until a new one :) . Cool news on the ep, too bad it's only vinyl. Will have to get it as a download probably.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Finally received and got the opportunity to listen to Tangerine Dream's new post-Edgar EP, the Quantum Key.

It's exactly as I expected it to be to be honest. Very much the Thorsten and Ulrich show with some Thief Soundtrack style fast sequencers and a bit of violin thrown in, which is not such a bad thing. You can clearly tell who mainly wrote what track, for example the last track "Mirage of Reality" is very Ulrich Schnauss, while the very long "Drowning in Universes" is clearly a Thorsten composition. Interestingly it sounded to me as though "Genesis of Precious Thoughts" sampled very early TD about half way in.

It's a good follow up to Mala Kunia with obviously not so much Edgar Froese's style influencing things. Edgar tended to get a single idea and run with it for an entire song at least. The material on offer hear would have probably been padded out over several albums in his hands.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It's got a definite call back to the Virgin years in places. The opening track quite blatantly quotes Phaedra, and the others all have sequences that could have come from those years. The mix of those sounds, the Ulrich shimmering and Thorsten's attention to detail and desire to get tracks moving works brilliantly. As you said, if Edgar had been involved with these, each track would have meandered along with one of its ideas leaving the rest for the track, picking up the next idea with the next song. Drowning in Universes is probably my least favourite of the four (although my favourite title), but it's a really strong record, and this and Mala Kunia really do suggest Quantum Key is going to be a really good closer (I'd imagine) to the TD catalogue.

Actually I'm sure there's Hamlet and a few other things lying around waiting to come out too.

np Off Land - Quinarian
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Still one of the best songs ever...

seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

still not sold on these guys yet

best album recommendation?