Saw Squarepusher last night!

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

Saw Squarepusher last night!

Post by seedy »

first time ever....waited YEARS for this!!

how to frame the review is tough though
what I saw was pretty stellar but i have a little complaint or three...

i also saw the amon tobin isam tour and this show was very similar......both of these shows featured the artists new album and elaborate stage sets and NOTHING more!
well to be clear.....amon played i believe one old tune after isam was finished and then came out for an encore of another old tune.
squarepusher....NOT even that much!!! he played his new album....and the night was over! no old tunes, no live bass, NO ENCORE!!??!?

i mean...i get that some electronic acts are doing the "standard billing" these days and ending at 11:00-11:30 like most rock acts do etc. but we surely are all also used to the the all nighters as well!
this one though.....the gig was an hour and a half long!?!?!? no encore! w t f??!?!?

so getting back....music was great i surely like this new album. for a minute i thought he was going to get all dubstep on us but it was really only hints in about 2 songs.
i gotta say he surely was DJing this gig and not doing much live.....and he's a weird dude it seems. he was pretty insane about making people cheer lol. it would be liking raising his hands etc. "come on...let's hear it!" and we would all cheer and then he would almost shake his head and then ask for more cheers again. and this happened between every single tune lolololol

SO
was an awesome night i loved what we were able to see.
i just left wanting and wishing we got MORE.
it's like paying $25 for dinner and leaving the place still feeling hungry.....just not right my doodz ;)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: Saw Squarepusher last night!

Post by tryptych »

Well, that sucks...

I've heard nothing but good about his live sets, but the no bass-issue really surprises me. I do know he has recently stated that he's once again inspired by purely electronic music so I guess that explains a lot. And for the new stuff.. i guess he's trying to promote his new album. I wonder if he realizes that the fans want to hear at least SOME of the classics.

Anyway, nobody likes situations where they feel ripped off. And I myself don't too controlled situations.. makes you feel "get in -> buy a lot of overpriced drinks -> watch the show -> fuck off" while some roidraged bouncer who looks like a monkey stares you from the corner. Not cool. No feeling in that.
from the source flows the endless...
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

I used to love Squarepusher - seen him a few times.Last time I saw in in London though ( not entirely sure what year it was) he played after LFO.Unfortunately we got there late totally missed LFO and Squarepushers set put me off.I havent read a forum post or listened to him since that night.It was almost nu-metal style shit.Absolutely couldnt listen to any Squarepusher again.Hopefully his new stuff is a return to his old style.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

beetles wrote:I used to love Squarepusher - seen him a few times.Last time I saw in in London though ( not entirely sure what year it was) he played after LFO.Unfortunately we got there late totally missed LFO and Squarepushers set put me off
I was at that ! I've still got the ticket on my desk so I can tell you the exact date was on the 9th Dec 2008 at the now defunct Astoria. This was around his Hello Everything era, the first of his albums that started to divide fans - and I have to say I fell on the side of loving this direction change (that's not to say I didn't like his stuff before that). From clips I've seen of this latest tour to appears as if he's returning to his DYKS/Go Plastic/Ultravistor esque breakbeat uber-processing so it may please older fans on a return to form
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I 'saw' him sometime after Ultravistor came out at Northern Light in Leeds, which is some sort of multi-roomed superclub type place, which obviously has a massive capacity having about six rooms - sadly everybody was there to see Squarepusher, so they all attempted to ram into one room. Walking over people's feet, breathing in what seemed like pure sweat, combined with expensive alcohol and some completely ineffective pills meant I left halfway through what seemed like three hours of him wanking his bass. Not the best night of my life.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah personally i REALLY love hello everything and just a souvenier
though the latter does have some of that "nu metal" stuff on a few tunes that i don't enjoy as much.
he took that a bit further with the shobaleader one band which i guess he realized wasn't received well.

new album definitely sounds like a return to form

here's some videos of the show i saw:

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=square ... a=N&tab=w1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

BLAM ! (watch fullscreen in full HD)

"For a while I had apocalyptic nightmares about trails of nuclear missiles in the night sky. So I aimed to recreate that strange combination of exhilaration, terror and sadness both visually and emotionally through this piece. It lead to the idea of a spacecraft leaving earth at vast speed to escape, but oddly the music also made me think of it flying through a library. So I generated the visual aspect such that, as the piece progresses, it seems as if the viewer is ever accelerating through massive corridors of books."
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

OK, that was pretty epic. Welcome back Squarepusher.
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Wasn't convinced at the start, but that got pretty good actually.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

sheesh....as i've said i always get a weird feeling about this led/projection craze that is sweeping electronica right now.

part of me says "you've sold out" and i'm saying it to all my favorites!
but the other part of me says "these lights are f'n cool!"

i mean....i know EYE am there ultimately for the music and the lights are just a bonus.....so it shouldn't matter

anyhoo...the point of this whole rambling is the discovery of THIS:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'll be catching this when it hits the states for sure! ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

There's nothing wrong to put up a good screen-show with the music :)
Some people say its for saving sucky music, and it is sometimes, but hey, what can we say about Pink Floyd screens or for that matter, FSOL in Athens :) or NIN :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

seedy wrote: anyhoo...the point of this whole rambling is the discovery of THIS:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'll be catching this when it hits the states for sure! ;)
It looks like a poor man's copy-cat version of Amon Tobin's last live set -

And sounds like ..... well it sounds like it's definitely not for me :D
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha! i'm pretty sure there's some irony there as my understanding is that the same design team that did tobin's set is also doing this IM set ;)

hmmm......idk.....personally this IM set looks a bit better to my eyes than tobin was.

either way i'll be able at one point to report back with my firsthand account of both - considering I've already seen the ISAM show ;)