The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) soundtrack

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
kornbean
Hardhead

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) soundtrack

Post by kornbean »

Has anyone here listened to the soundtrack for David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross? Every time I listen to it I can't help but feel that Reznor and Ross were at least slightly influenced by Environments II. Anyone who's heard it might know why I get this feeling, what with the occasional use of ethereal female vocals, the overall icy atmosphere, and even the occurrence of a ticking clock. I wouldn't be surprised if this were all just coincidence and the result of a similar approach toward an arctic theme (since the story is set in Northern Sweden), but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else gets the same feeling. In any case, I think it's a great piece of work, particularly the unsettling ambient tracks.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) soundtrack

Post by mcbpete »

Trent always does nice cold ambient - It was a nice discovery last year when I got the Quiet Tracks & Still compilation albums to learn that not all of his NIN releases were angry-industrial tracks suited for disillusioned teenagers.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

His last few years of NIN were the best, both Year Zero and The Slip had some great ambient stuff and were generally more properly 'angry' than 'angsty', and obviously stuff like Ghosts.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

is there a list of ambient/soundscape NIN albums that yall can list for me?

i surely loved NIN back in the day but i'm not looking to headbang anymore lol
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah the two I listed above - Quiet Tracks & Still
Though there may be more ...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

As Ross has suggested, their most recent output is probably your best bet for a mostly non-headbangy album. Ghosts I-IV, which is about 2 hours worth of instrumental tracks, is a great place to start. Overall, their releases from 2007 onward, which include Year Zero, Ghosts, and The Slip, have been quite different in character from those prior, which I figure to be due to the much more collaborative nature that NIN has adopted.

Quiet Tracks and Still, which Pete suggested, are great if you want a selection of tracks from throughout their catalog. Quiet Tracks is part of a series of unauthorized (though presumably released by Trent himself) compilations which were released via The Pirate Bay and contains a number of NIN's instrumental tracks and quieter songs. Still, which was released in 2002, contains four stripped-down versions of songs from previous albums and five original tracks, four of which are instrumental.

If you don't mind considering non-NIN releases, both The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soundtracks are great alternatives. The Social Network is quite similar in character to Ghosts (two of the tracks are actually reworked versions of tracks from Ghosts). The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is close to 3 hours in length, is my favorite instrumental album from Trent and contains material much more along the lines of ambient than either of the other two.

You can download a free, 30 minute sampler of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo here. In some ways, I think the sampler does a better job of expressing a distinct mood than the full album.