Lifeforms vinyl repress - October

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Lifeforms vinyl repress - October

Post by Ross »

moxlox wrote:For me with vinyl the involvement with putting the record on, putting the stylus down, and later turning over all adds to the immersion of the music as you're more committed to the experience throughout, more bounded with the music if you will. The physical exercise in getting up and turning the vinyl over three times is an added bonus!
Yeah, I don't get this at all. I had a spell of buying a fair bit of vinyl but in the end I got sick of having to turn it over when I was getting into it. The fact that Lifeforms is on two CDs is a pain enough already - that gap is a return to the 'real world' which totally interrupts the flow - so three times just kills it for me.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

mcbpete, for a nanosecond there this morning you almost made me give up on the wisdom of me buying the vinyl!!! Now you've succumbed! Enjoy!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Soz/Thanks :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:
Ross wrote:Although I do have preferences, I'm a firm believer that certain music is suited to certain formats.
Yeah absolutely spot on !

I actually 'caved in' in picking up Lifeforms again in this vinyl form last night - I clicked on the previews on Bleep (as if I didn't know what it sounds like already :D ) and just .... god this album is just so good, I needed to buy it again just as a thankyou. Will be worth it just for the big artwork ! (Talking of which I wonder if they'll have the old discography pics listed on the inlay including the [at the time] mysterious Environments album)
Yeah, if I did get this Lifeforms vinyl it would be more for looking at than for listening to. I am kinda tempted to buy it just so I have it... :ugeek:
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

The album that got me started making my own tracks. Masterpiece.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Now it can be pre-ordered here :)
http://www.fsoldigital.com/product/lifeforms/
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

FSOL added a nice little clip to their facebook featuring some old 90's Lifeforms footage (which I assume was taken from the Lifeforms VHS)

However, the audio sounds newer and is not anything off of Lifeforms. Any idea what this track is for? Is this a Lifeforms II tease?
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

I definitely recognize it and it's annoying me that I can't place what release it's from (a From The Archives maybe ... a segue from the end of a Archived Environmental Views track?) ....
Ross

Post by Ross »

Journey to the Centre from Environments 2.
An ISDN-era outtake, if the transmissions are anything to go by.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Nailed it, good that'd been bothering me!
Globular was my other thought, hadn't heard that one in years
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

So does anyone know for certain that this Lifeforms vinyl release is remastered for certain? It sounds great on my system and I am loving it, but I am not convinced it is from the audio.

Most websites that sell it, including Bleep, say it is remastered, but there is no indication of that on the album sleeve, or indeed the sticker that came on the front.
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

moxlox wrote:So does anyone know for certain that this Lifeforms vinyl release is remastered for certain?
Quite sure it's not, although this vinyl sound is stunning on my "old gear".
Having again an insane idea running in the box...while listening to IsdnShow promo...the lost "live" album....this will be an harder path - mainly for copyrights clearance - wouldn't be great to start a "Lifeforms-like" kind of request to get it finally realesed on LP (&/or maybe CD) on the 'waves' of a forthcoming official vinyl pressing of The Isness Abbey Road cut??

Le me know if we get some endorsement in this crazy project.
Ross

Post by Ross »

As far as I know, it's not remastered - certainly the band haven't said anything about it, and there's no remastered credit on the sleeve. I think that's just EMI overhyping it.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Vinyl pressing was at the weakest in mid-90s - so maybe this new pressing with all the new-vinyl-wave-hype is somewhat better.

This of course, needs to be confirmed by someone who has both the 1994 pressing and the 2018 one.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Pandemonium wrote:Vinyl pressing was at the weakest in mid-90s - so maybe this new pressing with all the new-vinyl-wave-hype is somewhat better.

This of course, needs to be confirmed by someone who has both the 1994 pressing and the 2018 one.
I can say that this reissue sounds ways better than mine two 1994 pressings....but this doesn't mean the 2018 is a remastered one. At that time, 1994, Lifeforms was the Top of my vinyl collection, speaking for audio quality only :)
(But the fact is that this album remains a cornerstone for million other reasons, imho)