Archived : Environmental : Views (RSD release)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
fsolish
Hardhead

Re: Archived : Environmental : Views (RSD release)

Post by fsolish »

One word, Brilliant !
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Got it! Numbered 1144. Super lush sleeve. Queued at 7:15am today to be sure. Opened at 9am. Intense Records @ Chelmsford; thanks.

Going to listen to it now.
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I just noticed the Archived album is 50/50 old/new material,

While the Environmental album is 100% new - holy shit - so this is probably the 6.75 version that was rumored to come out at some point...

Still haven't gotten to Views (not a proper listen at least...) but getting there... will write more later, probably... :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Waiting anxiously for this to arrive on fsoldigital, hopefully this week.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

The Environmental album is rather superb. Only listened to it once so I will refrain from comparing it just yet, but it's quality really got my attention.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

...and to be clear, not that any of you will have doubted, the whole thing is extremely enjoyable. Distinct styles for each of the three records as their names suggest.
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

I agree, the whole thing is very enjoyable indeed but Environmental stands out for me, it´s just pure bliss, fantastic stuff!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Added track-times and notes at Discogs.com / not sure if I did it right about the credits though,
If someone is more competent please edit:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Future-Soun ... e/10173556
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Each of the LPs has it's beauty and represents a different aspect of FSOL - the whole thing is awesome and somehow easy to consume in one go (despite being 2.5 hours of music).

Archived - a great flashback to the 90s era, enhanced to the present of course. I hear everything, the darkness of ISDN, the glitchiness of Dead Cities, and the euphoric sadness of Lifeforms. Even the brightness of Mango Tree is placed in the right place :)
- The new IDM tracks like 'Culture of Individuality' & 'Numbers and Colours' are my favorite, followed closely by 'Contraband'.
- The new version of 'Outer Heaven' opens like a motherfucker, and 'She Fell Backwards' closes the tripp nicely (somehow still disappointed that we still didn't get an official full length mix of 'She Fell Backwards').

Environmental
Tightly knit album, probably entirely made with the new synths FSOL make. Being 100% made of previously unreleased tracks, this is probably the 6.75 (after 6 and 6.5 releases) version of the ENV series that was rumored to come out at some point. I need more listens of this one, but for now the stand-outs are:
- 'Unforth', 'Fallin Through', 'Opposite of Thought', 'Boulton' (we've heard this awesome short tune on the recent mixes right?)
- 'Intermodulation Distortion' certainly stands out in it's weirdness, very unique track.
All in all, very 'Environmental' (as the title says) with nice break-ups by some IDM glitchy tracks.

Views
This is the modern-classical (I don't like this term... but can't think of a more appropriate one) direction that I think FSOL will go in the far future.
Its awesome, introspective, minimalistic composing, genius! Daniel Pemberton shines on piano - the guy is just pure awesomeness in just a few notes.
- 'Viewed from Pushkinova 7' - my home address, this track opens the album - one of the greatest honors I've received in my life :) Sounds like there's some strings (that can totally be synth made), tons of micro-environemnts in the back, some woodwind flutes come in later, and a long outro environment with crickets and synths.
- "Across the Room / Rosey / Under Leaves / Source of Uncertainty / The House in The Woods" - this whole chunk, possibly the best chunk that ever came out on fsoldigital (top3 for sure)!!!
- 'Viewed from Rosey's Perspective' is dedicated to Ross Baker's dog, and it's a profound piano piece.
- 'Viewed from Under Leaves' incredible piano short piece, never liked the high-notes of piano, but this is just beautifully crafted.
- 'Source of Uncertainty (original long mix)' - this track transcends beauty / time / space / music / dimensions - YES, it's that good! Can't think ... ok, let's move on (PS - it's a totally different take than the one we had on ENV5)
- 'The House in The Woods' continues the transcending beauty tripp, adds some strings too.

Hope this release gets wider recognition after E6+6.5 picked up nicely with new audiences...
soop
Hardhead

Post by soop »

So if the track list on Amazon is to be believed, the CD contains "Environmental" in its entirety. Plus 5 tracks from "Views" and only one from "Archived".

Very, very odd.

(also, hello... i'm kinda new here)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Hi soop :)

Yes, it is a bit odd,
but on the other hand, that tracklist is exactly how I'd do it, with one small change - I'd definitely add "Source of Uncertainty (original long mix)" :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:This is the modern-classical (I don't like this term... but can't think of a more appropriate one) direction that I think FSOL will go in the far future.
For a while I thought this is where they were going a few years ago - after Environment 2 and the piano part of the Oasis remix, I really thought we'd get a full of classical/electronic album. Only took 8 years!
- 'Viewed from Rosey's Perspective' is dedicated to Ross Baker's dog, and it's a profound piano piece.
Yeah, I'm so honoured to have this named after Rosey, especially as it's such a beautiful piece. Actually the only piece I think it's notably missing from the CD version - not just because of my connection to it, but I really do think it's one of the best things they've done.

Otherwise yes, the CD tracklist kind of makes sense. I'm glad the whole of Environmental is on there as that's very much an album in its own right. I reckon it's one I'll be listening to a lot. I'll no doubt pop Archived and Views on from time to time when I get the LP version, but the CD edition looks like an excellent standalone album.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Found a nice price from a US seller on discogs, now I'll just have to rip it to my iPhone :)
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

I'm going to have more to say when I've digested this all, but it's been bugging me all day what 'A Place In The Wilderness' from the Views disc reminded me of, and it's just hit me:

EDIT: Though now listening to them back to back I can't quite place why !

EDIT2: Also was a nice surprise to hear a shimmery/granulary take of Eno/Budd's Late October on there too
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

eh???
there's a track dedicated to your home address pande???!?

that and ross's dog......awesome stuff!

is this the price i pay for not using facebook???!?
i can't be friends with our boys without it aggghhh!
dangit