Electric Brain Storms 11 (11th December 5PM)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Electric Brain Storms 11 (11th December 5PM)

Post by Pandemonium »

Thanks Genocyber :)

The first track after the intro is actually:
Achisa - Achisa (Ambient Africa) / Remix by Greg Hunter & Kris Weston (from 1996)

The Controlled Bleeding track is called Glances Underbrush (from 1985) - the album is called 'Body Samples', and another track from the same album was used/mixed in EBS 4. - PS - Richard Pinhas track (also mixed in EBS 4) is actually before the Controlled Bleeding track.

The Synthi A track is called Wave Length - it was on the LP.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

I was out of pc on the moment of transmission but my lady help me to grab the set ;) can´t wait to listen now yet :D
Last edited by Tito Lozano on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

genocyber wrote:for anyone that missed it:

billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Thanks genocyber, that's brilliant work
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Thanks for uploading, just listening, awesome stuff as always!
Magnificient Insignificance
genocyber
Hardhead

Post by genocyber »

the mix is still available on the site:

https://www.friskyradio.com/show/liquid ... 12-11-2016

click on the play button under "liquid cool". much less choppy than the livestream.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Whats the easiest way to import radio streams like that frisky one into mp3 file? I managed to turn that mixcloud one into mp3, but it´s really a bit choppy from min 20 or so on.
(sorry for stupid question, but I´m a complete idiot at these things...)
Magnificient Insignificance
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I've just used Audacity to record the stream from the Frisky Radio site. I haven't listened to it (didn't even listen to the stream as it was playing because I'm at work) but hopefully it should be pretty good. I'm saving it as a WAV and MP3, so I can upload it somewhere if anyone wants it? I'll have to check it first, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Given that it's a (probably 128kbps) mp3 on the stream, there's no need for a wav.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

dos audacity record to mp3 as good as lame?
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:Given that it's a (probably 128kbps) mp3 on the stream, there's no need for a wav.
Well, a 320kbps MP3 conversion from a 128kbps stream will still be slightly lower quality than the original. But yes, I suppose if the source isn't all that good anyway then it is a bit of overkill to try and preserve it's full quality with a WAV.
If anyone has a higher quality source I'd like a copy of that, otherwise I can share what I have.

If we're in a sharing mood, I'd also really like Undulating and Silent Around Them, although I know they're commercially available so I shouldn't be asking! 8-)

@ronnie - Audacity uses Lame to convert to MP3 (you actually have to add the lame.dll yourself, so I suppose it could use other encoders, but that's the one I used).
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Mine recording was from direct live stream (11-12-2016) to Wav , if anyone like this send me PM.Maybe is the same shit on 128 kbps streamed anyhow...
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

ronniedobbs wrote:dos audacity record to mp3 as good as lame?
As far as I'm aware Audacity uses the Lame codec for mp3 export so .... yes ;)

p.s. for Chrome users the Frisky stream is available to directly download (in a cheeky way):

Press CTRL-SHIFT-i (presumably that's CMD-SHIFT-i on a Mac) to bring up the developers window, go to the Network tab. Now with that still open visit the Frisky site using the above link, and hit the Play button. A whole load of files will scroll up the Network window but the one at the bottom is the mp3 stream source file. Double click and it should now start downloading (albeit slowly)

Keep it under yer hat :oops:
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:
ronniedobbs wrote:dos audacity record to mp3 as good as lame?
As far as I'm aware Audacity uses the Lame codec for mp3 export so .... yes ;)

p.s. for Chrome users the Frisky stream is available to directly download (in a cheeky way):

Press CTRL-SHIFT-i (presumably that's CMD-SHIFT-i on a Mac) to bring up the developers window, go to the Network tab. Now with that still open visit the Frisky site using the above link, and hit the Play button. A whole load of files will scroll up the Network window but the one at the bottom is the mp3 stream source file. Double click and it should now start downloading (albeit slowly)

Keep it under yer hat :oops:
Excellent, thanks! I might as well do that then, it'll be the best quality we can get, even if that is only 128kbps 8-)

EDIT - grabbed it. Turns out it's only 96kbps. Surprised they even bother playing stuff at that quality, is it still 1999? :mrgreen:
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Alas the stream is 96kbps but as you say it's the best quality we can get due to no transcoding, unless there's an official version to buy...

On speakers you'll really not notice the sound quality loss, they must've used a nice codec with some dithering shenanigans :)