Blackhill Transmitter - Compilation Album [April 8, 2016]

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Blackhill Transmitter - Compilation Album [April 8, 2016

Post by seedy »

mcbpete wrote:Am I right in thinking there's segues been added to this one ?
would be nice!

can't answer this myself
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

I could be reading to much into the email text that said 'It is a journey through 15 tracks which blend in and out' of course :D
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I would imagine so, they're edited at least. There's also the bonus three track download EP, and a couple of tracks on the album that aren't on the EPs.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Definitely sound worth buying :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Blackhill Transmitter - Contained by Silence EP

01 - Contained by Silence [2:15]
02 - Book of Revelations (Prologue) [4:20]
03 - In Slowed Motions [4:07]

that cover is really awesome :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Norman Records has this in stock as well

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... ansmitter-
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Still gotta get round to buying this album. Don't suppose there's any hint of it coming out on CD one day?
Ross

Post by Ross »

No CD planned yet.

Finally bought this - bonus EP is really wonderful. I like the way this project started out quite starkly electronic but has become fuller sounding with each successive release.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Gotta say, I'm loving the album - I liked the EPs a lot, but I'm preferring the experience of listening to the album. I dunno if it's just because it's longer, so feels more substantial, or maybe it's the track choices/order that works so well... but either way, this is an excellent album :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

A few details on the material, then. Other than the odd 10/20 seconds here and there for segues etc., the only significant edits are:
Five Twenty Seven (3:08 down to 1:44)
Interception (3:08 down to 1:14)
Karmin Line (3:56 down to 2:23)

As these are all drone ambient pieces, they're the wisest choices to cut down as they have little in the way of structure: all three work well as shorter pieces in context of the full album. The only real shame, to me, is the loss of the choir from Interception. That bit is really haunting and would have ended the album brilliantly.

Spelling changes, not many this time. The usual pluralisation issues with Landslides becoming Landslide, and Karman Line is now Karmin Line.

The new material: Hac is a lovely glitchy piece, an excellent track that fits well. 405 Lines is a shorter interlude piece that reminds me a lot of the unused Four EP track Projected Sound.

The tracks left off the album: Hurple, Black Grain, 1957 and Projected Sound are all abstract, interlude-type pieces and so not drastically missed. The lolloping Tower never fit in with the rest to me so I don't miss that one. TX DSO Stage 1 and Uf are decent tracks I would have liked on there but don't drastically miss. The only one I really miss is Alignment, I love the cut up acoustic guitar on that.

The more I listen to Blackhill Transmitter, the more it makes me think how much other material would have gone into the project had it started earlier. There are Polemical and Yage tracks that fit in perfectly to me. I also reckon Vast Landscape would have ended up a Blackhill track; that one always sticks out like a sore thumb on Environments 4 to me.

Anyway, brilliant record. Definitely my favourite FSOLDigital side-project release to date. Just a really well constructed record of brilliant music. The extra In Slowed Motions EP is a nice little bonus; 'Book of Revelations - Prologue' is a really great track, and I fucking love that title.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Am I wrong in remembering when this project debuted, it was almost entirely credited to Brian, but now has the "fsol" and "yage" stamps appearing on the liner notes? Not that it's important, great music is great music. Just wondering if Gary became more involved as the project developed, or as stated polemical and other collaborative tracks were relabeled as BHT for inclusion on releases.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Brian mentioned to me more than once that Gaz is involved in ALL of the fsoldigital.com releases,
involved being a key word here, sometimes he helps a little with ideas and directions, sometimes he gets involved to a 50/50 level,
but I get what you mean Ronnie, I too often feel that Brian does solo on most of the 'electronic' albums,
but either we're wrong, or maybe not, we'll probably never have official confirmation :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think if Gaz is involved it's largely on a curatorial level - he has some say in exactly what goes on the final release, makes some suggestions, possibly even provides original sounds. Although none of the aliases has ever been directly attributed to solely Brian (other than Part-Sub-Merged, and obviously Humanoid and Zeebox), Gaz has said that they're mostly Brian's thing. The only one I'm baffled by is Sand Sound Folly.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I love Sand Sound Folly - wish there was more than just the EP.

Good info there on the BT album, Ross. I think the album has made the EPs pretty much redundant for me now (which is a bit of a shame in a way, but the album works better).
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, I'll probably only really return to the EPs for Alignment now.