Synthi-A - Ignition of the Sun - vinyl out 3rd June

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Re: Synthi-A - Ignition of the Sun - out 4th March

Post by ronniedobbs »

via Strictly Kev's Twitter, I haven't seen that BHT artwork before

play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Ah that's nice. Hopefully a sign that the Blackhill physical release isn't so far away.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Listening now. Nicely abstract first three tracks. Completely in vein with the early '70s Ohr records stuff, before krautrock splintered into its various later forms.

CD comes in a card sleeve like the Life in Moments disc - probably limited artwork due to its limited release, makes sense. More interestingly:
Three postcards. One of the BHT ones reads:

Warmth of Heart
Impasse
Book of Revelations*
Hac
Karmin Line
Desolate
Landslide
Cease to Function
Battery Room
Returning
Recovery
405 Lines
Loko Motive
Five Twenty Seven
Interception

Which - typical alternate spellings aside - is 13 of the 25 BHT EP tracks, plus two unheard pieces (or, quite possibly, renamed ones). I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the tracklist for the physical BHT release. Exciting.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ok, just tried to rip this to my laptop and it wasn't having it - because it's a CDr! Really surprised actually, I wonder how many copies were made.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I still haven't met a CD (undamaged) that couldn't be ripped :)
- But I'll get mine in a week probably... so... we'll see.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

My external drive is good for it. The internal laptop one has been through wear in the last six years though and only reads CDrs as blank discs these days. So all good. Although surprised/a bit disappointed by it being a CDr in general. They have been known to deteriorate.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote: Which - typical alternate spellings aside - is 13 of the 25 BHT EP tracks, plus two unheard pieces (or, quite possibly, renamed ones). I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the tracklist for the physical BHT release. Exciting.
Exciting indeed. Using only some of the tracks is going to leave me in one of those weird OCD places where I won't know how best to listen to the unused tracks (just listen to the EPs or compile all the unused ones into a second collection...) - that's probably just my own madness though. But yeah, I'd love to get it on CD.

Hoping the postie will show up with my Synthi-A CD soon. In fact, he just came by right as I typed that - with my CD and a Gary Numan live DVD too. I only got one postcard with mine, but I won't grumble 8-)
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I'm such a nerd I ordered the CD to my US address, but can't wait to get back home on holiday to hear it, so bought the 320 version as well :)
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Just a question: the Sinthi-A album is "engineered and produced by Yage", but there is no "written and recorded by...", why?
And about Blackhill Transmitter, it's producet by Yage but written and recorded by Blackhill Transmitter. Is it also (as Always) Brian & Gaz? (I don't own the EPs, I only buy full albums)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Your guess is as good as anyone's with the credits. Seems to just be whatever takes their fancy at the time. Synthi A definitely has Gaz's involvement, although on what level is not known - it's likely that Brian's the leading force in the record, at least. Blackhill I believe is a Brian solo project, like Part-Sub-Merged. The other aliases are Dougans/Cobain - although again the more experimental/electronic ones are likely to be mostly Brian's work.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Might a limited vinyl version be coming for RSD? These guys do seem to put out a Spring record almost every year now huh. A great way to mark the seasons, "hey it must be Spring bc there's a new fsol record!" Lol
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote:Your guess is as good as anyone's with the credits. Seems to just be whatever takes their fancy at the time. Synthi A definitely has Gaz's involvement, although on what level is not known - it's likely that Brian's the leading force in the record, at least. Blackhill I believe is a Brian solo project, like Part-Sub-Merged. The other aliases are Dougans/Cobain - although again the more experimental/electronic ones are likely to be mostly Brian's work.
Polemical, for example, right?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

epitome wrote:Using only some of the tracks is going to leave me in one of those weird OCD places where I won't know how best to listen to the unused tracks (just listen to the EPs or compile all the unused ones into a second collection...) - that's probably just my own madness though.
lol i feel this
personally i aim to never have dupes in my collection so i won't be purchasing a BHT CD that just summarizes the EPs.
bugs me when artists do this actually (at least if the plan was intentional). every once in awhile an act will give you the heads up beforehand that "all of these upcoming singles/EPs will comprise the album to be released fall 2016" or whatever. in that case i know to hold off and just wait for the album (which i prefer).

so i'll hunt down whatever extras this album may hold and just slap them onto a compilation of other straggler tracks i pull from other sources

stuff :P
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm pretty sure the BHT release is due to the positive response to the EPs and several people mentioning they'd like a physical version.
I barely listen to stuff on my computer so I'm always happy to get physical releases.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I'm a sucker for physical releases so I'll definitely be getting it on CD. Kind of a shame it wasn't a full collection of all the BHT tracks, but I'll take what I can get :)