A beginner's guide to the mixes please?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
MFLSteve
Hardhead

A beginner's guide to the mixes please?

Post by MFLSteve »

Hi All,

I am returning to the FSOL after a v.long absence - mainly to look for a digital version of a mix I have on cassette from about 20 years ago....which turns out to be the Kiss FM Test Transmission 2....the one with the Weatherall mix in it. So I also downloaded the second Essential Mix and Kiss FM Transmission 2 (kinda accidentally cos I thought it was the Test 2). Anyway, they're all bloody good, eh?

But my question is: what should I get from the the rest of them? There's so many and while one day I might want to download them all, I'm kinda thinking I don't need to be quite that completist.

So what are your faves and why? FWIW my fave FSOL-related thing is AA-Tales of Ephedrina....I think. Today.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: A beginner's guide to the mixes please?

Post by Pandemonium »

I don't really know what to recommend - all KISS mixes are pure gold to me...

Maybe read around this section - check the tracklists of the Kiss mixes and maybe they will help you in the weeding out process...

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... t=45#p3823
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Kiss Transmissions 2 and 6 are my favourites of those 1993 shows, they're the two that really blend the Lifeforms atmospheres in the most.
I'd honestly say all of the Electric Brain Storms mixes are worthwhile, but if you're looking for entry points than 4, 5 and 7 are probably the best, again the most atmospheric ones.
MFLSteve
Hardhead

Post by MFLSteve »

Thank you both. So from the mixes of that era stick to the Kiss transmissions? Rather than worrying about NYC or Rome or Netherlands etc? Only asking cos some of the latter are still available in The Pod Room.

I'll check the EBS mixes....

Are any of them particularly dancey? Or particularly far out? (Granted the second question might be silly. They're all fairly far out I guess. But worth an ask.)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

NYC and Rome aren't mixes, they're live performances, pretty much all FSOL/Amorphous material. Rome, New York and VPRO Netherlands are all fantastic shows, all incredibly different, each focusing on a different side to the band's 1994 material (Lifeformsy ambient, darker ISDN-era ambient, really dark rhythmic acid jazz/hip-hop ISDN-style respectively).
Conversely, the 1996 shows are all quite similar - of those the LA show is the best as it's the longest, most comprehensive, and heads off into strange territory at the end.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

You might wanna check out some of the mixes by the members on here too - including all the Terminal Radio shows. Some parts of them get quite similar to the FSOL ones.

oh and welcome to the board by the way.
MFLSteve
Hardhead

Post by MFLSteve »

Thanks All. I really am not sure why I forgot my love for FSOL. As a wannabe DJ those Kiss mixes are so inspiring. Now to delve into the others... I may be some time...