Touched presents Covert

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Touched presents Covert

Post by Pandemonium »

Touched - Music for Macmillan Cancer Support
releases a new compilation called COVERT,
the artist names will be anonymous.

It comes out on December 4th - same day as the AA MPB remix of The Kooks :)

I found out there will be a new FSOL track on this release,
so I guess we're gonna play 'guess the FSOL track' :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Touched presents Covert

Post by Ross »

Ha yeah, I guessed there'd be one on here. I like the idea of this, adds a lot of fun to it. I suppose it also removes the "only buying it for one artist" element of the other compilations.
Mind you I don't have the time or headspace to actually get through it so God knows what I'll be doing. The idea of a FSOL track being out there that we don't know about... frustration!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I was wondering if FSOL would be on there - seemed the kind of sneaky, low-key thing they'd do! ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross wrote:The idea of a FSOL track being out there that we don't know about... frustration!
Indeed... I'm sure we'll figure this one out, but what bothers me is that there are FSOL tracks out there that we don't know about... like the mixes for Universal from 2012 and the Psychsploitation compilation for Warner from earlier this year... and probably a few more studios that we don't even know about...

- The main bother is that OCUDATE track from 2012, on the 'Songs For Mimi' compilation - we never heard that one...
Ross

Post by Ross »

I try not to think about that.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I didn't know about that. Now I'll have to try and forget it.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Well, presuming FSOL was on there, I'm pretty sure they were track 14 "iDepth Alter". No one guessed FSOL in the whole thing, as far as I noticed. Really cool album anyway :)
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

If I hadn't heard that FSOL are probably on the album I would not have guessed they were on the album just by listening to it.
iDepth Alter is a good pick. I also think track 7 "Xto9", sounds pretty FSOLish too.
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

http://touched.isig.co/releases/item/covert

Both wrong :)

- Anyone else would give it a try ?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Hmmm, wow - I also thought track 7 was an outside possibility, early on, but I did rule it out by the end of the track.

For a long time I was thinking track 2 might be FSOL, although I didn't really think it was - just stayed in my mind for most of the album because nothing else seemed more like FSOL until the last few tracks. I've slept since though, so I'd have to listen again if I was to make another guess 8-)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Just flicked through them to jog my memory and I'm going to have to guess the last track, Cold Dark Field is FSOL.

Hopefully I'll find time to listen to the album again at some point today :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Not listened yet, but title-wise the pluarlisation of Streetscapes makes me think it's that. I'll have a run through later...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ok, just listened to Covert with headphones - partly just to enjoy it, but mostly to try and figure out which track is FSOL ;)

With my limited (to about 2 listens to 2 tracks) knowledge of Humanoid, I thought the first track (Borg_Acid160bpm) had a Humanoid vibe to it. But, as I say, my knowledge there is almost non-existant, so that might sound ridiculous to everyone else on here! But it wouldn't seem like something that would be released as The Future Sound of London, so if that's what we're looking for, I can rule it out anyway.

I don't know why track 2 (Polderones) stood out as a possibility even vaguely to me last night - sounds nothing like FSOL. Maybe it's just because the couple of tracks after it sound even less like FSOL and by that point I'd started to forget exactly what track 2 sounded like :)

Track 5 (Doloxan) had elements that made me think FSOL, but it also had more bits that didn't sound like FSOL at all, so I'll rule that one out as well.

Even though I now know it isn't correct, I still think track 14 (iDepth Alter) is one of the most FSOL-sounding tracks on the compilation - I am curious to know who this is by now!

Track 16 (Cold Dark Field) definitely has a strong FSOL sound. And, seeing as I've pretty much ruled everything else out, this seems the most likely, although the chaotic nature of it does make it hard to assess. Even the track name is a plausible FSOL track name. I'll say I didn't consider this one properly last night because I kind of lost track of exactly when Covert finished and the next mix started!

So there we go. If it isn't any of the tracks I've mentioned then I feel I should hand in my resignation as a FSOL fan. But my mind is made up - it's Cold Dark Field. I'll stake my reputation on it :)

Oh, and one thing is for certain - Covert is a great compilation :)
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I gave the album another listen and the FSOL track on there has got to be Cold Dark Field. It's a little more glitchy than FSOL usually is but the ambience in the track is very FSOL quality.
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yup, it is Cold Dark Field - so your reputations are safe :)

The track was submitted by Brian, with unclear instructions if the tracks is FSOL or Humanoid. Could go both ways I guess, it definitely reminds me of some stuff that I've heard on the recent Humanoid sessions.