FSOL - Archived 8

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: FSOL - Archived 8

Post by epitome »

Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Looking forward , this sound really good!
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Just what the Doctor ordered!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

insta preorder \o/
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Hurry up, Friday!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

So it turns out everyone was right. It's not the Black & Blue & Green track I was hoping for...

Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I wasn´t quite sure to be honest when Gaz stated that 'it´s over, face it' statement on FB if he was actually kidding or not, but it´s nice to read something like that, convincing me somehow he´s obviously still in touch with everything FSOL-related with great sympathy :) :
' I've unearthed a beauty' Brian exclaimed down the phone one afternoon in May. I'd become accustomed to hearing such things over the years of course, Brian had taken on the custodianship of all the DATs and master recordings of FSOL's 90s period , ' the janitor' as he was known , and thus ' the janitor' was always searching for FSOL bounty for the ARCHIVE releases that had ensued so yes, it was a common occurrence.. Nonetheless ,It was, , always IS a pleasure to hear such an exaltation. Maybe i could finally retire with this latest find , hopefully it would be real treasure .. the excitement was palpable, Brian knew it, making me hold on before playing it . The idea that there is magic in the vaults is an enticing one. This afternoon was no different. I was struggling with a new track, perplexed by it, feeling like giving up, so to hear that there was something magic that i had been involved with at some point in my life was soothing : ). Would i remember it, would i be disappointed, would i be the person to burst the bubble by realizing it actually wasn't our track at all but actually someone elses that had slipped erroneously onto the DAT ( it has happened, believe me : ). I sat back to listen as the first bars of music began to play down the phone line.
What i love about the ARCHIVE series is its like being reconnected with oneself..This track was no different, i couldn't remember anything about it, i strained to penetrate the fog of memory, I supplanted memory of two guys in their twenties into THAT room, EARTHBEAT, an imaginary argument about the direction of the song, a pivotal breakthrough when one of us took over from the other. But no....i was merely projecting into a void, there was nothing .
Most tracks i retain a very keen knowing of who did what and when and how, but tracks we saw no future in we moved on from tirelessly, and there were literally hundreds of such tracks, Having a major label deal meant that tracks really had to have something really special beyond fast food and we worked bloody hard to arrive at such fruits in an attempt to make great albums. Tracks done in an hour here or a day there twenty years ago, meant that memory really had no chance to consolidate itself unlike the tracks that actually made it onto the albums , they acquire instant prevailing mythology.. Yet this one was familiar , no i didn't know it at all but the essence , the melodies, the directive of what it was trying to say is such a familiar part of Brian and I from that time that it returns home, returns me to home and its a lovely feeling. Brian found it on a DAT dedicated to the WE HAVE EXPLOSIVE single...part 4 of that had been the ambient foray so it was probably deemed that this wasn't suitable ( and i can see why ) but I'm glad to hear it today, and the nostalgia isn't nostalgia at all, its just a part of me that doesn't die and these ARCHIVES give me an opportunity to step outside, lose memory and then re-acquaint momentarily & quite poignantly with myself as if for the first time & I'm an old , dear friend ( or those men in black have zapped my memory meaning I can enjoy the music I make without actually experiencing the agonizing pain of making it )
So dear friend, bring me home and if anyone knows who actually wrote it then kindly get in touch and we'll sort you out ha ha.

Gaz Cobain xx
Magnificient Insignificance
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Great story, I'm assuming he posted that on Facebook no? I can't quite bring myself to actively use facebook so I'm well out of the loop on these things. A rare example of Gaz actually talking about the band and their current work. Not surprised that the archive cleanup is being driven by Brian, this is surely the first time Gaz has commented on the Archives series.

Lovely track that Brian posted on Youtube though.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, Brian spends a lot of time trawling through his basement, he keeps everything so he's in charge of finding tracks. It's a really nice little piece by Gaz there though. Always nice to see him enthusing about FSOL.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Just read Gaz's story, bloody goosebumps...
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

will it load at midnight again? fingers crossed
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

50 minutes after midnight - downloading - cracking fingers - can't wait...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Archived 8 (Bonus EP)

01 - Bring [2:43]
02 - Sea + LSD [2:48]
03 - τροχός [3:03]

- Bring sounds like a new-ish piece, or quite possibly heavily enhanced one built on some old material. Anyways, it develops into an awesome wall of sound.

- Sea + LSD - the title says it all - can't place it though - could be new - could be old...

- τροχός means 'wheel' or 'grindstone' in Greek, I think... definitely older work, maybe enhanced a bit...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Too tired for the rest of it... but A8 certainly follows the path of the previous Archives.
It has a fair amount of true gems and a general feel of techie-ness revealing a more synthetic / glitchy side of 90s FSOL projected and enhanced into 2015.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Bonus EP is fantastic. Nothing there sounds particularly old, other than the drums in τροχός. Really excellent stuff.