questions from a FSOL newbie

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
gabo86
Hardhead

questions from a FSOL newbie

Post by gabo86 »

Hello everyone. I'm from Italy and I started listening to FSOL last years, after many years of "I love Papua New Guinea - should I listen to anything else from them?". I have three questions for you, I hope you can answer.

1) can you tell me the story of the relationship between Gaz and Brian? As far as I've read, FSOL was an "electronic project" in the nineties (from Accelerator to Dead Cities), then, because of Gaz's intossication, became to see the world in a more spiritual way (I've read in the famous very long interview quoted on Wikipedia). Since then Amorphous Androgynous became an "indian-psych band", they published the "issness-ultraland-peppermint" trilogy, very different from the 90's FSOL. My question is this? Was this some kind of split? It seems that Gaz worked on AA, also live, while Brian worked on different projects (like Hand-made devices, The San Monta Tapes, Four Forests) and they reunited only for the Archives-environments retrieving of old material, and, of course, for the Environments five new album. So, do you see this as a split? In the live videos from youtube of AA it seems that there is only Gaz, is it my mistake or there Brian isn't there?

2) can you tell me how the ISDN transmission worked? I mean, I understand when you are on the radio, but if you are going to be "live", on an actual stage, what is the point of not being there and transmitting all from the studio? (if I can recall correctly, they did so)

3) I'm very "anal" for my records collection (even now, for my mp3 collection). I am trying to have all the FSOL/AA material, as long as it has been released on full lenght albums. No singles (except, of course, for those collected on the Earthbeat-by any other name-the pulse EPs compilations). So, this is the list of everything I have, in chronological order. Am I missing something?

FSOL: Accelerator - Lifeforms - ISDN - Dead Cities - From The Archives 1, 2, 3 - Environments - Archives 4, 5 - Environments II, 3 - Archives 6 - Environments 4 - Archives 7 - Environments Five
AA: Tales Of Ephidrina - The Issness - Alice In Ultraland - The Pepperment Tree And The Seeds Of Superconsciousness - The Cartel Vol. 1, 2
Various names compilations: Earthbeat - By Any Other Name - The Pulse EPs
Brian other projects (are those all by brian?) - Hand-made Devices (by Polemical) - Four Forests (by Part-Sub-Merged) - The San Monta Tapes (by Heads Of Agreement) - The Woodlands Of Old (by Yage)

Then, according to Wikipedia, I miss the three Humanoid records (Global - Session 84-88 - Your Body Sub Atomic), the Stakker Record (Eurotechno) and the three Zeebox (1983-1987). Are all by Brian? What's the difference between Stakker and Humanoid? (of course I have the "stakker humanoid" song).

So, lots of questions by an Italian fan. I apologize for the long post, but I'd like to know the answers. Thank you and see you around on the board!

Gabo
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: questions from a FSOL newbie

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm gonna give you a detailed answer later tonight, so I'll just leave this comment so I can edit it later. (Other veterans are welcome to join)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

gabo86 wrote:So, do you see this as a split? In the live videos from youtube of AA it seems that there is only Gaz, is it my mistake or there Brian isn't there?
Brian has not appeared as part of the live band, but he wrote and produced all of the Amorphous material with Gaz. The approach is different, and Gaz has directed it to some extent, but he's an equal part in creating the overall sound of AA.
but if you are going to be "live", on an actual stage, what is the point of not being there and transmitting all from the studio?
I suppose this is part of their idea of FSOL being a broadcast system rather than a band. It focuses on the idea of image and sound being broadcast to an audience, rather than a traditional 'performance'. I also doubt they'd be able to recreate the tracks using a feasible live setup - I imagine the live performances have been run from banks of samplers, DATs, synths and all-sorts.
No singles
I would strongly recommend the Cascade, Lifeforms, My Kingdom and We Have Explosive EPs, as they are pretty much mini-albums, rather than just remix collections. To an extent the Translations and Mello Hippo mini-albums, too. Most of the EPs on FSOLDigital are worthwhile, particularly the three Blackhill Transmitter ones which play out like a very strong album... I don't think there any major full-lengths you're missing apart from those you've mentioned, anyway.
Brian other projects (are those all by brian?)
Polemical and Part-Sub-Merged definitely, the others possibly, although there's been no confirmation.
Then, according to Wikipedia, I miss the three Humanoid records (Global - Session 84-88 - Your Body Sub Atomic), the Stakker Record (Eurotechno) and the three Zeebox (1983-1987). Are all by Brian?
All Brian, except Global which was begun by Brian but finished by a chap called Peter Black (Pandemonium can probably fill you in better with a quote here...)
What's the difference between Stakker and Humanoid? (of course I have the "stakker humanoid" song).
Stakker was the name of a graphics company who Brian worked with, they put out a video called Eurotechno. The CD/vinyl release is the soundtrack to this video, which is by Brian (with small contributions from Mark and Colin who did the graphics). Mark is better known as FSOL's resident cover-art guy, Buggy G. Riphead.
So, lots of questions by an Italian fan. I apologize for the long post, but I'd like to know the answers. Thank you and see you around on the board!
Always good to have new people - welcome aboard!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well......check the thread "Pande-reviews: 2007.9 (Dougans/Cobain @ ExtremeMusic.com)" in this section and you'll see perhaps more info than you bargained for 8-)

also http://fsolnews.blogspot.com/ is our other resource very well maintained

gabo86 wrote: I'm very "anal" for my records collection
Hi, yes - welcome :P
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Welcome man, nice to have new fans on board.
- Ross answered pretty thoroughly but I'm still gonna give you my view, maybe expand a little...
gabo86 wrote:1) can you tell me the story of the relationship between Gaz and Brian? As far as I've read, FSOL was an "electronic project" in the nineties (from Accelerator to Dead Cities), then, because of Gaz's intossication, became to see the world in a more spiritual way (I've read in the famous very long interview quoted on Wikipedia).
- Gaz and Brian are soulmates, they call themselves brothers. Not your normal everyday electronic band in any sense. They lived & composed & transmitted together in the Earthbeat studio 24/7 for more than 7 years (1990-1997). They know each other since 1986-87. The Wikipedia page is full of errors and semi-truths... FSOL IS an "electronic project", it never stopped existing. There was a long public break (while privately they never stopped working) in 1998-2000 when Gaz was ill from mercury poisoning from teeth fillings, then he did some soul-searching travels...
gabo86 wrote:Since then Amorphous Androgynous became an "indian-psych band", they published the "issness-ultraland-peppermint" trilogy, very different from the 90's FSOL. My question is this? Was this some kind of split? It seems that Gaz worked on AA, also live, while Brian worked on different projects (like Hand-made devices, The San Monta Tapes, Four Forests) and they reunited only for the Archives-environments retrieving of old material, and, of course, for the Environments five new album. So, do you see this as a split? In the live videos from youtube of AA it seems that there is only Gaz, is it my mistake or there Brian isn't there?
You probably know AA alias was active since 1993, but the 2002 psychedelic revival of the AA name is more known to the common fans. Was there a split? Absolutely NOT. Although, I understand that is looks like that at first glance. It has been mentioned that Gaz is more occupied with the AA project, and Brian is more occupied with FSOL and other electronic projects, but it has been confirmed multiple times that all FSOL & AA compositions are credited to both of them. And no, they weren't reunited for the Archives/ENV series, they work together non-stop. The live videos - true, Brian isn't present, but that's just because it isn't his thing. He's always been the quiet guy who doesn't like public exposure, while Gaz is OK with media exposure and tries to teach about music as art through music media in his interviews. BTW, they didn't just suddenly became interested in psychedelic music post-2000 - they've always listened and respected the roots of music. They sample funk and psychedelic rock tracks in their music since the beginning (Mental Cube singles from 1990 come to mind...)
gabo86 wrote:2) can you tell me how the ISDN transmission worked? I mean, I understand when you are on the radio, but if you are going to be "live", on an actual stage, what is the point of not being there and transmitting all from the studio? (if I can recall correctly, they did so)
With the ISDN transmissions FSOL left their original print in the music history having done a new concept of live electronic concerts that no-one has done before. This kind of 'concert' was a totally new concept that FSOL literally invented, because like they said in many interviews, they couldn't nor would compete with the rock stars of the '90s and needed to invent something new. The concept itself was groundbreaking in the mainstream world, some say it was underground even... making live concerts all over the globe using ISDN internet connection and not leaving the studio - it sounds stunning even today, almost 20 years later.
- Like I said, not your everyday electronic band. Why carry tons of equipment when most of the electronic acts don't play live (not in the usual rock sense, playing notes on instruments) when you can do all that directly from your studio where you have everything at your fingertips. And all this in the infant age of the internet (1994).
gabo86 wrote:3) I'm very "anal" for my records collection (even now, for my mp3 collection). I am trying to have all the FSOL/AA material, as long as it has been released on full lenght albums. No singles (except, of course, for those collected on the Earthbeat-by any other name-the pulse EPs compilations). So, this is the list of everything I have, in chronological order. Am I missing something?
I also can understand how a common fan would collect the albums only - I do this for a lot of bands. But, FSOL are a special case. Having only the albums, I'd really say you miss a LOT. Long-Form singles (that have nothing to do with structurally with standard singles, they're more of a mini-albums) like Cascade, Lifeforms Paths, My Kingdom, We Have Explosive and few others a MUST HAVE.

- Also, their mixes/radio transmissions offer a unique experience. The KISS mix series, the ISDN transmissions, the MPB psychedelic series, the newest EBS ultra-weird mixes, they are all something to be experienced.
gabo86 wrote:Then, according to Wikipedia, I miss the three Humanoid records (Global - Session 84-88 - Your Body Sub Atomic), the Stakker Record (Eurotechno) and the three Zeebox (1983-1987). Are all by Brian? What's the difference between Stakker and Humanoid? (of course I have the "stakker humanoid" song).
As I said, their Wikipedia page is OK but sucks hard on a few important places - and the irony is, they like it that way - they like the mystery and the confused fans scratching their heads :) - and you've came to the right place for answers :)

Best answers about Zeebox, Humanoid, Stakker projects you'll find at my mega-thread, which is intended for begginer fans and full of additional info for veteran fans :) LINK TO THE THREAD

PS - We will be releasing an "interview" with Brian soon about their early period (1984-1997), so stay tuned.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

Ross wrote:
No singles
I would strongly recommend the Cascade, Lifeforms, My Kingdom and We Have Explosive EPs, as they are pretty much mini-albums, rather than just remix collections.
Essential purchases. Some of my favourite FSOL stuff is on the singles.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Hi guys, thanks for the long replies!
So, what I now know is:

There never was a split between them;
Brian is responsible of the "psychaedelic AA" (I know of the Ephidrina AA, of course, but it seems a "FSOL" album), maybe not 50/50 with Gaz, maybe 49/51;
ISDN shows are like a Chemical Brothers gig (you know, they don't play any instrument but they have a complex equipment on the stage) but from the studio, in order to avoid expenses of transportation;
the 2007 side projects seems to be by Brian;
I am missing "a lot" with the singles. So, can you give me a list of singles?

Thank you guys, I've been listening intensely to FSOL (and aliases, of course) in the last year...I really like them, and I listen to a lot of different music, so...ok, I love them, nothing else to say.

And, for pandemonium: do you plan to continue your mega list of reviews until the last records? It seems to be "stuck" on 2007...
thank you :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

- they are both equally responsible for FSOL & AA - they both contribute unique aspects of their personalities in their music - neither one of these projects wouldn't function with a solo composer.

- ISDN shows, not really like Chemical Bros, I mentioned the equipment moving just like an example - they're much more than that - the idea is what it matters.

- about what 'singles' you should get - well, read through my thread and decide, but good starters are My Kingdom, Lifeforms Paths, Cascade, We Have Explosive, then dig further...

- My mega thread is an ongoing effort, 2007 is finally finished actually, 2008 will begin these days :)
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Thank you, I'm going to start reading it :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Although it's not my personal favourite, the Lifeforms Paths EP is probably the best starting point to give you an idea of the scope of the singles, as it is so different to the album version (which appears as Path 3). The other singles feature interpretations of the main track along with new material, but Lifeforms really is a collection of new tracks, and at 40 minutes it's effectively a third disc of Lifeforms. Cascade and My Kingdom are good examples of how a track can have an entirely different mood when re-mixed by the band, the lead tracks on each EP are much more soaring and epic in sound than their album counterparts. We Have Explosive is a fascinating release, as Part 3 really hints at the future of the band, being funk-inspired, whilst parts 4 and 5 are some of the darkest, most brooding pieces they've done. None of it is what you'd expect from such an un-subtle a-side. Papua New Guinea Translations takes the title track and reevaluates it in a more psychedelic manner, a halfway point between FSOL and the recent Amorphous. It's almost an hour long as is tricky to define as either an album or a single, but if you're a fan of the psychedelic AA stuff it's worth a listen. The only non-essential one is The Mello Hippo Disco Show, and even that is pretty fun - it gives you an idea of how many times they can re-imagine a single track in such radically varying forms.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

gabo86 wrote: I am missing "a lot" with the singles. So, can you give me a list of singles?
well, i would say easily to get all the albums first as you are doing
then just expand from there

and just to repeat...
pande's mega review thread + http://fsolnews.blogspot.com/ is absolutely the definitive resource for info - beyond the guys themselves 8-)
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Hi everyone, thank you for the answers.
First, I wanted to tell you about a dream I had last night...I dreamt that I was running a Marathon (I am very sporty but never tried such a long distance), and in the air there was a music I couldn't recognize...but while running I recognized...Gaz! Gaz Cobain! He was running next to me and I asked "Hi Gaz, I'm so happy to find you" (I spoke in English, inside the dream, even though I'm Italian) and he was very rude and told me "I'm running, please don't bother me" and he ran away. And after meeting him I recognized the song, it was "Billion Breaks" from The Cartel, that's one of my favourite FSOL (related) tracks ever! Then, after the Marathon ended, I met Gaz again and he apologised for the rudeness but "I was concentrating on the race", and I was so happy for it!

Ok, now the serious question: what's the meaning of the sentence (read above) "Gaz and Brian lived 24/7 inside the Earthbeat studio?" 24/7, without going outside for sleeping? Did they have beds inside? And did they have families? Or do they have, today?
Sorry, these are very silly question but I simply wanted to know more about their personal side.
Thank you!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Whacky dream dude :)

Well, the term living in the studio 24/7 shouldn't be taken literally, although I think it was pretty close to literal. I think they never owned property in London, renting studio space and apartments all the time... There were pictures of the EarthBeat studio - Ross can probably point you to them (Ross?) -- There probably were other apartments (for sleeping) in the 1990-1997 period, I don't know for sure, but even if there were, they were in the studio most of the time, often not leaving for days even weeks. - They ate in the neighborhood - that's how they met Vit (the asian guy from all the covers/booklets) - he owned a deli close to the EarthBeat studio. Apparently there's much more to that story, and we'll read about it in the book(s) that will be released soon (the FSOL soon for now).
- And no, they didn't have families (wives/kids) at the time, and their parents lived in different cities so...

They started families post-2003. They moved out of London circa 2005 (give or take a year, I'm not good at remembering info that's not connected with their music). Dougans moved to a small village in the Somerset area - he lives in an old church, and he has studio in there too. Cobain moved to Poitiers in France, but I think he has property in the Lake District in the UK also...
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

You should add the Far out Son of Lung and the Ramblings of a Madman to your future single spending spree. Different but cool versions of the ISDN tracks.

I love this single as I only bought the original limited edition ISDN back in the day and so never had the track Snake Hips which is ace....and longer on the single.
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Hi everyone,
it's always me, the FSOL newbie (but am I newbie after two years of intensive listening?). I am of course very happy about the release of Archived 8, which i listened to just once, but I have two questions: one is silly (and I bet that noone of you knows the answers) and the other one pretty serious.
Silly question: why Archived 8 and not From The Archives Vol. 8, as the other seven volumes?
Serious question: as far as I understand, all the 8 Archves volumes, plus at least four of the five Environments, are heavily based on (nice way to say "use") 90s FSOL unreleased tracks. My question is: do they create so much music to rely on it until nowadays? And...what are they (Gaz and Brian) doing in these years? I mean, they released a lot of "gems unhearted" by Brian, ok, and Gaz is focusing on picking others' tracks for the Bubble Compilation, but what are they doing "inside the studio(s)"? They produced Environments in 2014, The Cartel in 2003, and earlier they produced the three Amorphous 2000s albums, and in 2007 they released the three Brian's side projects. But haven't they relied too much on the 90s material (which I love)?

Thanks and sorry for bothering...now I run and listen to Archived 8 :)