Would you / should you change anything in the digital files

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Would you / should you change anything in the digital fi

Post by seedy »

Blu Mar Ten wrote: which would you assume the correct title is and then rename your files to, and why?
find the best and most direct source as possible.....CD Artwork/Sleeves, Official Websites, Discogs
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The only typo I recall Gaz mentioning was one I pointed out - Environment Five advertises their site as fsoldigal.com

The worst case is the US release of The Isness, which has 'Her Tongue is Loke a Jellyfish' on the back - similarly the mispress edition is supposedly engineered by Gage. Both of which can be attributed to Hypnotic, I'm sure.
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

seedy wrote:
Blu Mar Ten wrote: which would you assume the correct title is and then rename your files to, and why?
find the best and most direct source as possible.....CD Artwork/Sleeves, Official Websites, Discogs
Assuming you'd have a reason to question it in the first place, right?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:The only typo I recall Gaz mentioning was one I pointed out - Environment Five advertises their site as fsoldigal.com
Ah, that was it - thanks man :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Blu Mar Ten wrote:
seedy wrote:
Assuming you'd have a reason to question it in the first place, right?

surely something that one could end up stumbling into by chance - but yes
though with that said if you are out pirating music then you should also be savvy enough to be aware that these type of errors can and will occur. for that reason if you were quite anal you would go about vetting everything as explained above....just for that obsessive peace of mind :P
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Blu Mar Ten has some crazy valid points but those are some (special) cases -- involving piracy and stuff...

If the piracy / internet wave renames your track - that new name stays forever :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

Pandemonium wrote:Blu Mar Ten has some crazy valid points but those are some (special) cases -- involving piracy and stuff...

If the piracy / internet wave renames your track - that new name stays forever :)
well i guess the point i was trying to make was that people were correcting what they believed to be errors, when actually those 'errors' were my intent.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Haha, like how Boards of Canada's Oirectine was known as Directine for years as many misread the scribblings on the original pressing.
Quiller
Tingler

Post by Quiller »

Take two readings of The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin and call me in the morning.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

I don't even know the names of half the track I listen to in the world of electronic music. I was listening to ISDN yesterday and thought to myself that I really like this track, but no had idea what it was called. I must have listened to ISDN 20 times (or more, I have no idea) and I still don't know the track names.

As for what it shows up like on iTunes, I'm not that fussed; all I concern myself with is the artwork, so I can actually find the music I want to listen to by sight.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I'm a bit that way with track titles to be honest, it's an occupational hazard when tracks flow seamlessly from one to the next. I've been listening to Lifeforms for over twenty years now and there's still quite a lot of songs I don't know the titles to. With ISDN it's even worse as there's two versions.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah that probably exactly the same reason I'm not too fussed with modifying filenames & id3 tags either - hardly ever know what a track is called on an album nowadays, I mainly just know the location of a track within an album (like, one of my fave tracks on Autechre is the second to last track on LP5, I actually have to think hard (or look on discogs) that it's actually called 'arch carrier' )

I love the Grischa Lichtenberger album 'and IV' but fucked if I'm ever going to learn those track names - http://www.discogs.com/Grischa-Lichtenb ... se/3919995
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

fsol's a bit of an exception for me.
with the exception of the tracks cascade / lifeforms / we have explosive / smokin japanese babe / my kingdom (no idea why these ones stuck out) i don't think i could name any other tracks from the LPs.. although I could sing pretty much every note and recreate every sound from memory.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

True, I also don't remember track-names for most electronic artists, it's naturally harder to remember a track that has no lyrics, has no catchy loop and stuff like that -- BTW those are the things that I despise in most electronic albums.

And also true, FSOL are exception to me. Their tracks and releases have very awesome/unique names and artwork -- and it's a process for me. Viewing the artwork and reading the track-names while I listen -- even when I went all digital, I have everything in hi-res scans so I can view through while I listen.

- That being said, I'd like BlackHill and the other digital-only releases to have more artwork, but I wouldn't ask for it -- lets not be greedy here :) -- but the thing with the track-names (in file-name or booklets) really annoys (maybe not the right word, but...) a lot of people and something could be done about it... or not... we'll survive either way :)
You're doin' too much, do less.