A few questions/comments

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Re: A few questions/comments

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

dell1972 wrote:
seedy wrote:geez.....am i coming to terms with being the oldest f'n geezer on this board?!??!!

i'll be 40 in July :(

please.....someone step up and admit you are older! haha
Nope I've got the edge on you, I'm 43. I've got t-shirts older than half the people on here!

I first heard the Lifeforms EP and then the album in my third year of Art College in a chemically enhanced state of mind. Some time after I got Far Out Son of Lung as it came out... on cassette single! I didn't hear Tales, ISDN and Accelerator until about the year 2000 for some reason, the rest was bought as it was released.
42 here

funnily enough i also spent my years at art college in manchester with fsol as the backdrop.
proudly bought both the black and white vinyl versions of ISDN at piccadilly records \o/
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Looking at the release dates that's likely where I bought My Kingdom and Dead Cities actually... I was working at the Uni there at the time coming to terms with the fact that an art degree gets you precisely nowhere in the real world.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Trying to pinpoint my first experience with FSOL - Think it might've been the article in Future Music about the making of Papua New Guinea so probably would've been about 15/16 - Inadvertently I also would've heard their contributions in Wipeout 2097 but had no idea who was behind it ! First album of theirs was Accelerator I think, then Lifeforms. Always associate the latter album with migraines as I always would listen to that album in the dark & with eyes closed whenever I suffered from them - did that for about 2 or 3 years ! As I was so visually sensory deprived it became such a visual album for me. That led me to always listen to new FSOL albums/EPs/ISDN-sets in the dark - don't seem to do that much nowadays, have to get back to doing that as it really would make me appreciate them more !

(sorry, rambling)
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... room#p8502
I always prefer listened FSOL more than other and get fan of their music since Lifeforms and always thought their music was
more intimate than other bands from the age of MTV chill out Zone...in same "style" of music is very clear to see big differences with The Orb for example..orb sounds more fun , FSOL sounds more like ... a soundtrack of life with many ups & downs....
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ah dell my man!
thx for taking the crown :mrgreen:

i shoulda known the only other dead fan here was a contender haha

anyhoo since we're getting into the "i first heard fsol" trip

i honestly can't remember...must have been a few months before i joined this place?

i DO remember longggggg ago hearing of fsol/aa via the ozric board i used to frequent
i remember listening to a few isness tunes and being like "meh"

then years later i tried again and here i am. common theme for me really....sometimes my pallet just needs to grow into some acts

really....almost of my favorite music ever i first disliked out of the gate :P
whiskytango
Hardhead

Post by whiskytango »

i remember seeing png on the chart show !!

sought out most of the early stuff.

trawled a few shops when isdn black came out...

i remember picking up the first aa work - and being asked - does anyone buy that - we've never sold another copy.

remember "disenchanted" fondly...

missed almost all of the isdn transmissions.

saw gaz at waterloo a couple of years back...

and yeah have more copied of png than i can count - and yes i have a copy of png which was banned.

it's been fun so far ... mostly cool.. some dirge ... but more bliss than p1sh ;)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

whiskytango wrote:remember "disenchanted" fondly...
Aye me too - started using it in my dialup days, one set would take me about 6 hours to download ! So was happy when I went to uni with their T1 connection !
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Pandemonium wrote:Dead Cities is mostly scary as shit while also delivering the euphoric sadness (tm) element
I too always found some stuff on DC the scariest moments of their discography. The title track and Quagmire always used stir my brain in the most frightening manner at every listen.

Oh, and of course 'vertical pig'. Always one of the most 'hellish' tunes in electronic music up to today imo.

One thing I like about FSOL how these dark tunes are always surrounded by heavenly bliss like when quagmire is followed by glass and yage.

Oh and first encounter: 60 minutes of Teachings from the electronic Brain on MTV Europe somewhen in 1997 recorded on VHS by a friend and watched under the influence of very heavy weed :) - next day saw me buying Dead Cities CD, my first encounter with (good) electronic music at all :)
Magnificient Insignificance
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

hey seedy ,i can cheer you up,i'm 43 years young,Im that old that i can remember raving in a club to the mental cube 'q' track in the year it was released 1991 (it sounds amazing on a good club system) ...I bought the pulse state e.p's the first time round,papua new guinea in clubs back then sounded amazing it was way ahead of its time back then.Bought my records in Eastern Bloc in Affleck Palace,manchester underground..and also at the corn exchange.. so followed Fsol and their many guises since then.I can vividly remember the old virgin website(it was on dial up),the fsol pages just blew my mind with their design,buggy's visuals..(it took ages to load up but was worth the wait!) fsol just seemed to embrace new technologies both in music and design,way way ahead of anyone else around at the time and still to this day.They have been a soundtrack to my life through ups and downs.Lifeforms was and still is my favourite album followed closely by Isdn and Dead Cities.Cascade from their longform E.p's is my favourite journey.I have too many favourites to list lol.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

aye that makes me at least #3!

feels good to be moving....down in the world :mrgreen: ;)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Tito Lozano wrote:I always prefer listened FSOL more than other and get fan of their music since Lifeforms and always thought their music was
more intimate than other bands from the age of MTV chill out Zone...in same "style" of music is very clear to see big differences with The Orb for example..orb sounds more fun , FSOL sounds more like ... a soundtrack of life with many ups & downs....
I remember staying up all night and waiting for COZ to start, taped all the shows and edited out the videos I already had. When I first heard Slider on Chill Out Zone my jaw almost hit the floor. It didn't even sound like music in the traditional sense, it scrapped everything I thought I knew about using sound in general. Man I love these guys :D
from the source flows the endless...
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

Had been chatting about some record reviews on Fb when Gaz cobain just sent a friend's request to me on Facebook.. Obviously accepted it and now,as an fsol fan, my life is complete . he is one unique soul.. Always enjoyed his banter and now can get to chat directly which should be interesting!
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Hey I just got a friend request from Gaz too! What a swell chap!
Hardhead

Post by natchie »

Glad I found this website...returning back to register on this...also from the ol' FSOLLIST days...
My first time with FSOL was through a compilation disk featuring two of the FSOL's tunes, and one of them absolutely made a major IMPRINT on me forever: Yes We Have Explosives. Unbelievably guts-punchy as a wake up tune.

Still trying to understand their transformation to the AA...hmmmmm.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Welcome to the board again Natchie :)

"understand their transformation to the AA"
- If you take a look what they sampled in their tracks since 1990, what they used in their mixes, especially culminating with the MPB series, it's totally understandable how they ended up in space rock psychedelia :)

- Actually, they do about 80% of all existing genres, NB they do 'good music' not constrained by genre labels :)
You're doin' too much, do less.