More and More Stuff On FSOLDIGITAL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: More and More Stuff On FSOLDIGITAL

Post by Pandemonium »

Wow I didn't even knew they have the ltd.ed. on FSOLDigital.com

- 43 euros (shipping included) is a bit much, especially since I have one...

So mr. DarkTrain - send the book to mr. Dell -- I'll wait some other day to digitize the book :)

EDIT: the discogs prices are all over the place ( http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/97758?ev=rb )
- though I doubt any of them has healthy book

- on the other hand - the mint-condition ones from fsoldigital might fall apart even quicker because they are 18 years old and never opened - so the glue on the spine is dry as a 90 year old tit :)

- I've heard stories that the people who bought it back in 96 and went through the book a dozen of times normally and made the wrinkles while the spine was fresh - they have a good book even today - but I've never seen this with my own eyes - all the ones I saw were falling apart...
You're doin' too much, do less.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

I think I might have one of those. I bought my limited edition copy of Dead Cities four or five years ago, used but like new from eBay if I recall correctly. The booklet is in great condition. No pages missing and everything still firmly bound to the spine.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Mine is falling apart rather drastically these days - gets opened once a year maximum.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Been a while since I've seen mine but IIRC the box it came in was quite tattered but the booklet and CD case were (and still are) pretty pristine. I bet it's a complete state and I've blocked it out of my mind !
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

I'm wondering about the download tracks too. Any pointers?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, the FSOL Artworks book is nothing like the Dead Cities book - quality-wise.

The print is Superb, the stapling is very fine - and it's one awesome product overall.
(if we have to nitpick, the print-factory cuts are not 100% accurate at a few places but that's just because the pictures are so demanding in the positioning)

So, the front page is the artwork for Environments 6, which is done and ready by the way. I don't know if they sped-up the work or it is done just because E5 was rumored to be 2xCD and now we'll get the second CD as E6... it doesn't really matter - we'll see it in 2015 together with Archive 8 (which will have more than few surprises) :)

- Environments 8 announced on Page 30 - it's some kind of installation in New York - is it live or something similar - we just don't know, for now. What we do know is that there will be 10 Environments in total (!!!), so, good times ahead.

- Also Environments 1 may end up on vinyl. - Page 32 has the Environments 1 cover - but this version is about 10 times better than the one that ended up on the CD. Better contrast, better colors, better font - We can only assume this will end up the vinyl version! :)

- 2015 is mentioned a few times throughout the book - so it was clearly intended for 2015 but got an early release - would you look at that :) an Early release of FSOL :)

- Most of the pages have artworks the we know from the well known post-2007 series - Environments, Archives, EBS mixes - and most of them are a different cut of the artwork. And some pages have hints of stuff that didn't got released and/or will come.

- Page 10 has teasers that EBS 7 had proper booklet ready, and yet somehow we ended up with the most plain cover for that one. Also, 2" Tape Reels teaser once again -- this is still around, it probably will be released.

- Page 14 has cool recent picture of the guys, which I think should end up replacing the top picture on this very Board :)

- Page 21 is also full of teasers but mostly stuff that were prepped and then not released and then ended up on other releases. The left bunch of CDs are all promos that got released one way or another (except the video collection one -- we still live and hope to see the day when FSOL release a video that is not promo) - The mid section is weird, the top left CD with a young Gaz pic - no idea what that is. The top-right side is the Mello Hippo Disco Show soundtrack that ended up on FSOLDigital in a digital form only.
- At the bottom is the Rephlex test print of Zeebox on a 3" CD (so besides the 12" there was also a small 3" print).
- The FISH SMOKIN' is the weirdest - it's actually a prequel of the Archives, a project started circa 2000 - some of it ended up on the Otherness, and the rest of it ended up on the Archives. - This actually says that the story about the 'Teachings' compilation in 2006 kickstarted the Archives is actually wrong (and I kinda never believed it anyway...)
- There are also some tapes, and some shots of 'the making of' the t-shirts of PNG.

- Page 24 - totally weird and NO idea what is that...

- Page 26 - some recent activities, the cover that's embedded in the bonus Artworks 4-track EP is on this page, also the Neurotic rainy piceture is trying to tell us something...

- Page 27 - dedicated to Humanoid. The new Humanoid album is in the works as I type this. Brian also posted a short video of his 303 unpacked, fixed and ready for action!

- Page 34 - awesome picture, first seen (I think) in the Freeze magazine back in 2008 - this should definitely be used on some CD/Vinyl.

- Page 35 - credits - all images and artwork by Buggy G. Riphead / FSOL / Yage. (also the old EBv / Earthbeat logo is used all the time, and I like it.)

-- There are only about 10 more pieces left on this one -- I'm now kinda sorry I didn't order two, but on the other hand it wouldn't be fair because it's printed in such a small quantity...

- Next artwork book - FSOL Histories!

***all news / hints / facts / teasers are by the man himself :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:- Environments 8 announced on Page 30 - it's some kind of installation in New York - is it live or something similar - we just don't know, for now. What we do know is that there will be 10 Environments in total (!!!), so, good times ahead.
Ha, I've been keeping quiet on this one as I don't want to overload everyone just yet - but yet, Brian also confirmed to me that they are currently planning on the Environments series running to ten volumes. There are possibilities of more live stuff in the future, so it's possible that 8 will be a live album - but the '24 oscillator light affected panels envisaged installation' thing suggests maybe it'll be a more experimental work. Who knows...
- 2015 is mentioned a few times throughout the book - so it was clearly intended for 2015 but got an early release - would you look at that :) an Early release of FSOL :)
Like Your Body Robotic coming out a year before Stakker's 20th anniversary, ha.
- Page 10 has teasers that EBS 7 had proper booklet ready, and yet somehow we ended up with the most plain cover for that one. Also, 2" Tape Reels teaser once again -- this is still around, it probably will be released.
??? My copy of EBS7 came with four images, only three of which are on Page 10. There's also the cover of EBS8 on there.
The mid section is weird, the top left CD with a young Gaz pic - no idea what that is.
Only thing I can read is it looks like it might begin with a T - maybe an early 'Teachings...' release? No idea really.
The top-right side is the Mello Hippo Disco Show soundtrack that ended up on FSOLDigital in a digital form only.
Definitely says '... Radio Show' so my guess is one of the two that were broadcast in 2001.
- The FISH SMOKIN' is the weirdest - it's actually a prequel of the Archives, a project started circa 2000 - some of it ended up on the Otherness, and the rest of it ended up on the Archives. - This actually says that the story about the 'Teachings' compilation in 2006 kickstarted the Archives is actually wrong (and I kinda never believed it anyway...)
Convinced this is the 1997 album and its offspring - Shining Path, Thinking About Thinking, Exploded Funk, East Pacifica, Headhunter, Tudor Oak, Theram, Glacier. Given that Theram turned up on The Otherness I still reckon that's what this is: the stuff between Dead Cities and The Isness that never got release... back in 2003 we were teased with 'new FSOL album then new Amorphous record' - I think this is what it was going to be.

- Page 34 - awesome picture, first seen (I think) in the Freeze magazine back in 2008 - this should definitely be used on some CD/Vinyl.
In the booklet of one of the first three archives - can't remember exactly which off hand.
- Next artwork book - FSOL Histories!

Exciting - wonder if we'll get another EP!

A couple of bits you missed:

Page 18 has EMS Piano shots.

Page 22 - shots from 'Clyde Port Authority' - film for the Scottish Film Board with music from Brian's dad.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ahhh, looking forward to the new Environments and Archives next year - happy days :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

OK, so I kinda over-analyzed the book (you're surprised I know) - and some interesting stats came up :)

page 01 (E6 cover)
page 02 (ebv logo)
page 03 (E1 booklet-6-7)
page 04 (E5 cover + CD + new) - that symbol on the right appears few more times - weird aztec stuff...
page 05 (E5 + new) - the tree shots are new or unused leftovers...
page 06 (A4 cover on FSOLDigital Mix cover) - a cool cool mashup of A4 and the promo that got out with the Freeze magazine in Greece.
page 07 (equipment)
page 08 (E2 cover)
page 09 (E2 booklet-2 enhanced) - enhanced because of the red dots and the Herd Killing reference...
page 10 (EBS covers + various projects)
page 11 (A5 booklet-6-7)
page 12 (E1 booklet-4-5)
page 13 (new + E2 back) - the mexican symbol again...
page 14 (new 2015 portrait)
page 15 (E2 booklet-4-8 + inlay)
page 16 (E4 cover + equipment)
page 17 (E4 LP-back + EBS3)
page 18 (EMS-Piano)
page 19 (E4 back+inlay + A7 inlay + Humanoid YBR booklet-4 in black & white)
page 20 (E1 booklet-2-3)
page 21 (promo CDs, shirts & tapes)
page 22 (2008 portrait + Clyde Port Authority + A5 & A7 CDs)
page 23 (new or leftovers) - that yellow ellipse seems very very familiar...
page 24 (new or leftovers) - no idea what this is - looks like 4D womb / fetus scan...
page 25 (E1 inlay + new) - the ones on the right are new or leftovers, probably from E2
page 26 (new or leftovers) - the bonus EP front cover is seen down-right, Neurotic symbols date back to the Dead Cities ltd. ed.
page 27 (Humanoid YBR booklet-6-7 + new trains) - trainspotters anyone?
page 28 (E1 booklet-8 + E2 booklet-7 + A2 web cover)
page 29 (A5 booklet-2-3-4 + new) - the little ones in the up-right corner are new or more like unused material
page 30 (E8 in NYC announcement)
page 31 (A5 back, inlay, booklet-8 + E2 booklet-6)
page 32 (E1 cover enhanced) - this one just HAS TO end up on the E1 vinyl edition
page 33 (E2 CD print + new) - more equipment shots on the left
page 34 (A1 booklet-4-5)
page 35 (credits)
page 36 (ebv logo)

To sum it up:
- E1 - every bit of the artwork is presented here - 100% - looks like someone has a LP release in mind :)
- E2 - also almost the entire artwork present.
- E3 - absolutely ZERO artwork present - NO Love for E3...? we know it's probably the weakest in the series but this is just not fair...
- E4 - about half artwork present.
- E5 - almost the entire artwork present.

- A1 - just one double-page from the booklet.
- A2 - only the web cover in a corner, so practically nothing...
- A3 - NO Love at all... just like E3... weird...
- A4 - practically no love at all except the mashup on page 6
- A5 - almost the entire artwork present.
- A6 - NO Love at all...
- A7 - just the CD and the inlay.

some of the unseen stuff could be coming on E6 and/or A8, we'll see...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Really liking the music that came with this, what with various things like this, the Environments 5 bonus, the EBS mini mix, they've pretty much given us another album's worth of stuff.

Cattle almost sounds like old style ISDN era FSOL, though probably fits nicely with the Environments 5 bonus EP, nice to hear them actually using drums/beats for a change.

Viewed from Across the Room - lovely piano piece that sounds like it's from Environments 3 era especially at the end, quite a contrast to Cattle.

I Turn To Face The Sun - It's name sounds like an outtake from Environments 4 but the track itself certainly doesn't sound like an outtake. Fantastic track. Sounds at the end of it makes it fit on Environments 2.

Neurotic - Love the way this builds up the background is almost abrasive with the squelching liquid noises that slowly take over, and then we're back to where we started with animal noises, this time what sounds like a distressed sheep.
I am the eye that looks within
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I ordered Artworks & EV5, but only the CD showed up, are the booklets being restocked?
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

There was inside info about 10-12 days ago -- that there were only 10 pieces left...

And no, no reprint on that...
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

I am waiting for Christmas Day for my mind explosion with this book!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

So we're only just halfway with the Environments? Made my day :)
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Pande I ordered the booklet on 12/4 but they took my money, are you saying I'm not going to get what I paid for? My order says "processing" so I hope that means they'll fulfill it!
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages