New GAZ Interview

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

New GAZ Interview

Post by Tito Lozano »

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: New GAZ Interview

Post by dell1972 »

Interesting find, starts on about 7 minutes in. Great interview so far, quite revealing. Nice to see them using old and new FSOL music in the background.

I'm doing a sad thing and transcribing what he says as I'm annoyed with the nonsense that's going on at work at the mo.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

A minute into this - fascinating already!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Here's the download link if people want to hear it 'offline' - Right click and save
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

New version of Lifeforms eh, that they've been working on for the last four or five years, I like the way he slipped that in in passing. So he's ready to talk about FSOL again it seems.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Haha fucking hell, just about to mention that! I cannot wait for that... amazing.
God, this really feels like FSOL are becoming a going concern for Gaz again. Ah, exciting stuff!

Wow, this really is basically a history of FSOL from Gaz's perspective. This is partially because of 20 years of Lifeforms, right? I hadn't even noticed that it was, hah.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I did actually transcribe it and can copy it onto the board if you like. Might have to do it in several posts mind, as he does speak at great length and I'm worried Pete would come after me with pitchfork for knocking out his server!

The most essential bit is probably this bit though:

We haven't really put an album out, I mean it's quite dramatic really, we put an album out in 97, and although we've done Environments albums on our own label, they're still very much based around finding some of our old music and maybe enhancing it. The interesting thing with that is we did one of the singles with Liz Fraser of the Cocteau Twins, and at that particular point in time I was, we were, seriously up against the limitations of where we were with the technology and Liz Fraser bought the whole thing collapsing down because she gave us like two hours of vocals and we couldn't handle them,
because we had, although we had seven samplers, it was all about snippets, so if somebody forms a vocal that's great for a minute and a half and then not good for a bit, in other words, big chunks of samples. How do you do it in like 91-92, it's very difficult. So basically we never, we didn't feel we got that track right. So for the 20 year anniversary we are, we've got a Lifeforms with Liz Fraser that's amazing, I mean we've worked on it for like four/five years because I love Liz Fraser and for me I've always carried the kind of sadness of never really fulfilling the potential of us with Liz Fraser, you know. Funnily enough I think Massive Attack did it really well, it's a great track, that Massive Attack track is amazing.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Oh God yeah, that would be awesome. If you want, email me it in a text file or something and I'll start a thread over in the Galaxial section...
Nmesh
Open Loop

Post by Nmesh »

I was really thinking/hoping Garry was about to go into the story about the technical difficulties at the Brighton Essential Festival in '97, when he was discussing how he had to go the extra mile to prove the legitimacy of performing live via ISDN (and when it became a problem for him) - but no. Anyone have the full story on what went down at that performance, or know if he's touched on that in a past interview?

Proceed with visual attack.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Wow, oh man, there really seems to be a lot of stuff on the horizon, Env5, EBS9, AA-single, and now reworked Lifeforms-stuff, it's quite amazing, looking forward to all of this. So what is Gaz meaning, "a new lifeforms", maybe a single, or a whole album? Maybe something like they did with the PNG-translations, som "Lifeforms-translations", with some of the orchestrated psychedelic sound in it, that would be great!

*can't wait for all this*
Magnificient Insignificance
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

dell1972 wrote:We haven't really put an album out, I mean it's quite dramatic really, we put an album out in 97, and although we've done Environments albums on our own label, they're still very much based around finding some of our old music and maybe enhancing it.
Guys, is this a hint on something that we all have been waiting for these last years or what? I think Mr Cobain is trying to say something here.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

'Maybe enhancing it' - ha, and the rest. A lot of it's blatantly new or very tenuously linked to old stuff, haha.
Still, there definitely seems to be a feeling that there's a 'proper' new album coming at some point. The 'on our own label' thing could possibly hint at them doing something on another label, too. Maybe a new album on R&S/Apollo?
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Shit, this really sounds suspicious, tho I grew a bit tired on all this "proper new FSOL album" speculations after all these years, but I must admit, this quote really is able to fire speculation again...
Magnificient Insignificance
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

How about a new 40 min single track version of Lifeforms like Blue Room? Think of all the new & old material they could incorporate.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

"We haven't really put an album out, I mean it's quite dramatic really" Is he talking about a dramatic...pause in their album releases? Talk about hanging on every word!