New GAZ Interview

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: New GAZ Interview

Post by tryptych »

Wow, highly inspirational, once again, mindblowing really. When I listen to their interviews, I always get the feeling that Gaz is just laughing internally and telling people something that they're expecting to hear.. and it changes all the time. Like he's really saying "this is all BS, just go and listen to our magical music" :)

"I think that we're pretty unique".. damn straight!
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Strange enough, that Mr.Cobain seems to notice after more than 15 years of doing elaborate Monstrous Psychedelic Amorphous albums & mixes that there hasn't been any real new FSOL album since 97', if I got that right. Maybe Ross really got a point with all that talking about everyone waiting 'for Gaz getting back into FSOL-mode' (: This really is what seems to happen now...
Magnificient Insignificance
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Lifeforms 2014.. yes and please :D
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Save your money from now on folks, 2014 is going to be a spending on FSOL year I reckon :)
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Will 2014 be the new 2007 I wonder? They were quite busy that year, I think there were something like 13 separate releases, although I think most were mp3 only releases initially.
I am the eye that looks within
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Hmm... I wonder if some of the sounds from the first 7 minutes of the Swedish interview are from the enhanced versions of Lifeforms... or just some mixes from the radio dudes... They sound deeper (like literally, in frequency) on some places, but I can't really tell because of the poor radio quality...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Well the Athens show had a new version of Lifeforms, if I remember correctly? I'm guessing that was a work in progress...
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Fantastic interview. I'm excited to hear a new version of Lifeforms heavily featuring Liz Fraser. I enjoyed Paths a lot but never thought it was as good as Cascade or Lifeforms proper. I wonder with the new version of Lifeforms with include some of the Eggshells EP or if it will be all new material?
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Lifeforms Path 4 is one of my most favorite FSOL tracks ever, pure heaven.
Concept
Tingler

Post by Concept »

Ross wrote:'Maybe enhancing it' - ha, and the rest. A lot of it's blatantly new or very tenuously linked to old stuff, haha.
Still, there definitely seems to be a feeling that there's a 'proper' new album coming at some point. The 'on our own label' thing could possibly hint at them doing something on another label, too. Maybe a new album on R&S/Apollo?
Yeah, I thought he was being a little harsh there. I'd consider the Environment series straight up new albums regardless of where they were published. Just as cohesive (if not more so) than Lifeforms/Dead Cities.

A new Lifeforms though? Awesome news. : D

I wonder if it's going to be a remix album or a remastered one with new material?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Does Gaz know that E4 is >90% new ?? :)
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Ha ha, E4 is the first one to really sound like a collaborative effort of new material and yet he still passes it off as an enhancement. The mind boggles as to what he's got up his sleeve that's not released.

I guess this Lifeforms thing could come out in any number of forms. For all we know they might be considering it for inclusion in Environments 5. Could be a single/EP in its own right. I'd be surprised if it was a bonus on a reissue of the original album, wouldn't that involve Virgin Records giving a shit about their back catalogue, which they don't have a good track record of doing. A remix of the whole original album would be weird and quite an undertaking. I guess another reason for doing that would be to sidestep the record company Edgar Froese style, hopefully with a bit more effort put in.

Always expect the unexpected.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I believe Gaz meant exactly what he said, to us FSOL fans it might have been a new experience and all fresh new albums, the whole Environments 1-5 is a masterpiece of its own (Ill have no doubts about E5 based on previous Env albums) and there are some of the best tracks FSOL have recorded, but I believe they know better about their sounds like any artist does about his, what is old, what is reworked or newly written around old sounds and what is a totally new thing for him. After all they are all named Environments for some reason that they only know.
Last edited by dubmasta on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

So after the 46 minute mark Gaz finishes the interview,
the rest is ... 3 or 4 of the hosts analyze what he said in Swedish and play some FSOL music...

Anyway, really good interview, except for the last few minutes Gaz really kept it clean to the point and rambling-less :)

I mean yes, we (here on the board) already knew the 90% of the stuff he said, but to the average FSOL listener this interview is pure gold.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

And the last few minutes or so of what he's trying to say can be summed up in the following statement:

Don't listen to me, listen to my music.