Where did everything go? I hate you, I hate you, I hate you! (site updates)

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Where did everything go? I hate you, I hate you, I hate you! (site updates)

Post by mcbpete »

Hey calm down, easy tiger....

So yeah, if you've been following Tales From The FSOLBoard over the last month or so you will no doubt have seen the ever increasing numbers of spam accounts flooding the place. Not having full control over everything meant that I had to just sit back and let the place go to the dogs .... But hey that's not the attitude right ?! So I decided to jump in at the deep end and compile a fully formed message board of my own and host it on our cubus servers. So here we are - here's the new IKEA-esque stylings of the new FSOLBoard !

There's a few more tweaks here and there to do, but as of writing this it's pretty much fully formed. Now, obviously there's one two things missing: users, and content. And this is where you guys and gals can help ! Feel free to copy any of the topics you, or anyone else, started on the old board.

Here's the link to the previous version of FSOLboard.co.uk - http://users.boardnation.com/~fsoladmin/index.php
The old board will remain there for however long Boardnation does (which could be a long while, even given recent events). So feel free to use it to copy any information or private messages you may have.

Your old user names and passwords will not be valid on this new message board, don't feel that you have to keep the same username as before but it'll certainly help the rest of the board to know who you are if you do :D

If you literally want to copy an old topic (well a post from it anyway), just quote it in the old board and select all the code in that box and paste it in here (remembering to remove the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags from the start and end of the message). Don't feel you have to, but if there was something particularly memorable you posted feel free to post it again here. As for your previous post counts I can possibly tweak them to what they used to be, but it's probably a bit pointless as your reputation on is certainly far greater than post count !

So enjoy, hope you like the new home. Mind the paint in the bathroom, it's still a little damp.
Pete.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Where did everything go? I hate you, I hate you, I hate

Post by dell1972 »

Good work Pete, looks great, is a lot faster and not riddled with spam.
I am the eye that looks within
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Thanks, Mr. Pete, now this looks a lot more cleaner here without all those electronic cockroaches all around, now I would really like to hear/see some news about some forthcoming FSOL release called "Environments 4"... :)

(OK, even linernotes from the guys on that 808-state best of even would make it, at least it´s something...)
Magnificient Insignificance
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Looking good mang, but you might wanna turn down the font size/scaling/whatever a little, looks kinda stretched on my old, crappy 1280 reso flatty. ;)

Otherwise, great improvement and working fast as hell. Looking forward to this new board. Cheers.
from the source flows the endless...
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Really like the new site. Thanks so much for doing this!
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

SPLENDID.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

tryptych wrote:you might wanna turn down the font size/scaling/whatever a little, looks kinda stretched on my old, crappy 1280 reso flatty. ;)
Not sure what might be going on there, I've viewed the site on everything from a mobile phone up to a old widescreen laptop to the work dual screen 1920x1080 beast and there's no problem with font size. What browser are you using, maybe it's having trouble reading the css stylesheet - Any chance you could link to a screenshot?

EDIT: Do you mean the text is slightly vertically stretched, I reduced the resolution of my screen to 800x600 and it did seem a little tall, but I think that's just the nature of the font :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Is there an option to fix it so that links open in a new window/tab?
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Thanks Pete for great work and support on forum
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:Is there an option to fix it so that links open in a new window/tab?
Yeah probably, the entire thing is completely modifiable as I have the entire php scripts in my hands (well on the server anyway). I'll see what I can do tonight ....

If the whole place blows up, you know I edited the code wrongly :D
Tito Lozano wrote:Thanks Pete for great work and support on forum
Cheers man !
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Link test - http://yage.co.uk/newtesting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK links now open in new windows/tabs ....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The new forum is totally better :)
I just don't like that the old guys made new usernames, it messes with continuity ...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I just don't like that the old guys made new usernames, it messes with continuity ...
... oh no you´re trying to make impermanent things permanent again, life´s in transience, life´s in transience...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, you can change the name ofcourse, but you're still the same dude :) more or less.
So at least tell us (people with new usernames) who you were in the old forum.
I mean, we chat for years, and you kinda get to know some users, their tastes and thoughts,
and then changing the username kinda sucks...

PS please don't give me impermanent psy crap again, if you know what I mean :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

but you're still the same dude :) more or less.
you say it, man.

There is a not-so-subtle hint in my signature text concerning my 'old' identity. I really didn´t mean to play some 'disguising' game here like 'guess who I am...?' or something. Just thought it´s time for a little change..

(I guess there´s RONTXO, who is Tito Lozano now. Can´t detect any other 'old' member in disguise at the moment here.)