FSOL on Wipeout 2048?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: FSOL on Wipeout 2048?

Post by Ross »

After hearing it, I reckon it might have been done by Brian, or perhaps another artist. It's not too bad really, but I can't say it adds all that much to the original. It's the best thing on that soundtrack by far, the only other listenable tracks are the Chemical Brothers and Kraftwerk ones. Electro house and Pendulum aggro-dnb, ugh.

I reckon YouTube might be a decent bet at getting it heard.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm almost sure this was done by Brian, with a mindset on gamer track :)
Actually, if you have in mind that the tracks are for gamer-mode - more than half of them are OK.
You're doin' too much, do less.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Not an amazing remix but better than any other non-FSOL WHE remix out there (aside from Oil I guess).
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Yeah, in the context of it being for a game, especially a game like Wipeout, it's pretty good. It touches modern tastes without being over the top about it (like what Orbital did on Wonky).

The whole soundtrack's pretty good actually. Don't know if I'd rank it up there with 2097 or 3 yet, needs a few more listens. Its too bad Cold Storage isn't on there again, though he's putting together a release for people to load into the game like he did with HD. His new mix of Canada is a rebuild as well actually, and not a bad one either.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Quite surprising, but not too bad. I guess it is Brian simply because:

1. There's no flute or sitar on it so it can't possibly be Gaz
2. It's way better than any other contemporary remixes by others so if it were somebody else, surely they'd want to put their name to it.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Not bad at all - after hearing that shambles of a remix ( http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... ?f=2&t=106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I didn't have high hopes for this one at all - Like LooseLink says it's been nicely updated without seem too forced.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Nice remix, the standout of the album IMO.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross

Post by Ross »

So, thanks to OffLand for his research, it’s now known that it’s a remix by... Alastair Lindsay, who generally does audio work for the gaming industry and similar.
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/alastairjlindsay
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

This thread is a veritable who's who of 'what happened to them!?' Pande, Dell, Looselink, etc
Ross

Post by Ross »

Pande is still about on Facebook, moved to Canada with his family a year or so back, I think he's still busy with the whole settling in thing. I still see Dell's name pop up occasionally on the visitors list. Craig is still about on social media, he recently relaunched his LooseLink project after a few years of silence, but he hasn't looked in here for five years.

I do miss the old days when this place was really lively.
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Very interesting tidbits, thank you! I do recall Pande leaving for Canada. I see his occasional updates on LinkedIn with his mobile games company. I miss the atmos too. Seedy was a laugh too. I've noticed on Facebook you don't really have the nuanced chats there, as it would get lost in the noise. Mainly ppl confirming release dates or paying respects to Gaz :-)
Ross

Post by Ross »

The Facebook group has some ok stuff, and FB in general is alright, but there is a lot of people posting a song and liking it, or news posts with people saying "what is this?!" when there's detailed information about the release one post down. There's a much more casual approach to it which is a very different vibe from the more detailed conversation forums attract, and sadly it seems to just be the default location for stuff these days, regardless of topic. I'm glad there are still thousands of people out there who want to enthuse about the band, but I do wish some of them would come here to have the communal experience we used to have. Ah well.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Ross wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 pm So, thanks to OffLand for his research, it’s now known that it’s a remix by... Alastair Lindsay, who generally does audio work for the gaming industry and similar.
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/alastairjlindsay
Yes, "We Have Explosive (2011 Rebuild)" is by Alastair Lindsay who records music under the name Switchshift. This remix is basically a Switchshift remix.
https://switchshift.bandcamp.com/
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 pm Pande is still about on Facebook, moved to Canada with his family a year or so back, I think he's still busy with the whole settling in thing. I still see Dell's name pop up occasionally on the visitors list. Craig is still about on social media, he recently relaunched his LooseLink project after a few years of silence, but he hasn't looked in here for five years.

I do miss the old days when this place was really lively.
Hi Ross.
I really liked what you wrote.
I discovered this forum too "late", I mean, it was not so lively when I started listening to FSOL which quickly became one of my favourite musical artist ever. But I understand it: I have been part (and still am) of a forum of an Italian singer which was very lively when forums were so. Now it's almost abandoned (almost!), and it's sad, because now there is this "social network thing" which is way more superficial (as you pointed out in a following post).
So, yes, I can understand you. Anyway this is a source of knowledge, and still a mean to ask for information about FSOL.
So, thanks.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, social media has numerous positive and negative aspects, but the one thing that I dislike most - on a personal level - is the way it's come to dominate things, to the extent that for some people, the internet is social media. I hate that on so many levels, and I miss the days when, if you were looking for information or news on a subject, you'd find various official pages and fan sites, all hosted individually, with their own designs, and all content maintained by the owner. It was a bit messy and disorganised, but everything had its own personality, and you'd get communities that would evolve like this one - back on the original forum, pre-2011, I think we had maybe around 40 regular posters here, plus less regular ones. Now it seems like there are maybe ten at most. It was nice when we had our own in-jokes (Pipermint Tree, anyone?) and every new release would get a multi-page thread - Environment Five was the peak in that regard, with almost 450 replies. Last year, the Future:Turned EP thread got three replies, two of which were me adding news.

Anyway, enough moping. I'm happy to see there's still enough interest in the forum that it's worth keeping going!