Long Shadows = Paths Remix

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Long Shadows = Paths Remix

Post by Ross »

Listen to the original version of Paths, particularly at 3:40. I noticed this synth last night.
This drew up an interesting question for me: how on Earth had FSOL sampled this on an Archive track (Long Shadows) when the original came out in 2001? Surely if it was recorded after that it would have ended up on an Environments release or remain unreleased - and I didn't think they were doing traditional FSOL tracks at that time. Then I listened to Long Shadows again and realised that the female voice is incredibly similar to the singer on Paths. And isn't the beat the same beat as in the Cosmic Jukebox remix? And, it being recorded at the same time as the Isness sessions would explain the amount of electric guitar on it.
No wonder I could never figure out what era it was from!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Long Shadows = Paths Remix

Post by Pandemonium »

Figures, Archives are Archives, of unreleased stuff, I'm sure there are tracks there that are post 2001 too :)

Robert Miles is a peculiar person, some of his tracks are shit, but some are truly Genius! Organik is a motherficker...

This one also
http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Miles-Tri ... ase/530189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Long Shadows = Paths Remix

Post by Ross »

I agree that technically there's no date limit on the material - I supposed I was just more interested in the fact that this is a non-psychedelic/Amorphous style track from around the time they were doing The Isness. This is what they were up to in contrast to the Cosmic Jukebox remix.

Robert Miles I used to be into a kid when Dreamland came out - obviously terrible now, but with the linking sections between tracks you can really hear that he was influenced by FSOL. His second album was an attempt to do something like Lifeforms, very lush and ambient, but unfortunately the tracks are terrible. I never got around to listening to Organik, but I do really like Paths so maybe I should give it a listen one day.