Electric Brainstorm 7

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Electric Brainstorm 7

Post by dell1972 »

ebs7 has just appeared on fsoldigital, featuring a few familiar faces such as Seafar, Second thought, fool, Yage, Riz Maslen etc! Shorter one at 65 minutes.

Ps. Anyone noticed the funky splash screen you get when going in via http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; recently?

----

There doesn't seem to be a tracklisting. Just:
FSOL EMS+PIANO PARK GOSLAN SEAFAR BAINBRIDGE BROTHERS 1973 ELECTRONICS GROUP YAGE DANIEL PEMBERTON POLEMICAL RIZ MASLEN BROADCAST OF VARIANTS SECOND THOUGHT.

" im on my way out
for something to see
to remember for the rest of my days "

And 4 black and white funky images like a deteriorated studio tape box - these are attached to the mp3 file properties and visible in itunes.

Can't wait to hear this in the morning now.
I am the eye that looks within
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Electric Brainstorm 7

Post by Pandemonium »

Cool, it was about time :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I have to say on first pass the only thing I definitely recognise is the music from that 8mmfly clip "Long Day", which may be the Polemical track or in hindsight more likely EMS+Piano. There's something very dark in the middle which may be attributed to Yage (nothing recognisable from The Woodlands of Old). I assumed I'd recognise Ross' bit but I'm not entirely sure - there was something that came and then went before I knew it near the end, and then I started convincing myself the piano bit at the end might be it.

All in all, quite dark, textural and atmospheric. There's a number of spoken samples throughout that made me wonder whether there'd be an EBS5 style running dialog, but it wasn't quite like that. That start to it in particular is very environmental. By that I mean lots of sound samples like someone rushing through water etc.

There's a clip up on the stakkerhumanoid youtube channel with some really funky textured visuals:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Very much looking forward to giving this a spin when I get home. :D
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

It seems the Broadcast of Variants track is called Carousel.

"Sound Project of Audio Designers Vladislav Isaev and Elena Tiuliandina. Field Recordings from Russia mixed with music and video into one environments flow."

So it's the people they were working with on Prime World/Future Sound Of Nival.

More info here: http://bov.tv/bovtv.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whatever comes in at about 54:40 minutes is absolutely luscious. I wonder if that's a new FSOL track?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Dell, you're using the FUNKY word out of context man :)
There is nothing funky in the splash screen or the youtube video...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

That's all a matter of interpretation, I'm saying funky as in stylish, but no, I don't mean in the traditional sense. They don't resemble James Brown's underpants if that's what you mean... At least I don't think so, I'm not privy to that sort of information I might hasten to add...
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Funky Mary :)

Again this is a great Ebs,now on my top from last Electrik "Brian" Storms!!!
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

The Trees - An extract from "Views"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Available on EBS7.

Er... no idea. My guess would be The Trees is the name of the video, the music is an extract from a FSOL track called Views. Maybe related to Viewed From Above/the Right/an Obscure Angle. Or I could be completely and utterly wrong. Lovely, though.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Thoughts I had whilst listening...

08:45 A little snippet of Environments 1 in there.
15:40 I hope this is Environments 4 material!
18:30 Are these the birds from Cirrus Minor by Pink Floyd?
26:30 As 15:40.
29:00 The music on this mix is really fucking good. I want half of this to be Environments 4! The percussion and stuff suggests maybe this is the Yage track? Possibly. I wish there was a tracklist.
33:50 I wonder if this is Dan Pemberton. This is breathtaking.
39:13 Oh, some familiar sounds there.
42:00 Another potential for the Yage track?
54:00 If I was to have a guess as to what the Polemical track would be, I'd say here.
54:40 Ah, this is me here - 'Mip and Bella' from Since Every Hour is Too Late. I'm honoured, as ever. :)
1:04:00 Wow. This is incredible. Pemberton again maybe? Given the synths used, could this be the EMS+Piano track? Or maybe this is even a Pemberton/FSOL collab a la The Oldest Lady/End of the World (or am I just being very hopeful here...)

The artwork is lovely - very different from the others but really evocative. The whole thing is really spooky and atmospheric and just fantastic. This could be my favourite EBS so far - it's certainly up there with 4 and 5 for me.
A thought: given the list of artists mentioned, and the lack of any obviously familiar sounding stuff on the mix, I wonder if the music on this one is largely based around the guys and artists they know/have worked with, in order to avoid the licensing issues that have taken the other mixes offline. Probably not but it did come to mind. The 'electronic music' documentary snippets work really well tying it together, they're given quite dramatic a sense of gravitas alongside some of the music.
If the show is, like some have suspected, a suggestion of what might be to come with Environments 4 then I'm even more excited about that than I was before (if that's possible).

dell1972 wrote:Whatever comes in at about 54:40 minutes is absolutely luscious. I wonder if that's a new FSOL track?
I'd use the 'blush' emoticon, but it's bloody awful.
You own the album this is on!
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Doh, not done very well there! My excuse is I'm hearing it out of context, though I've heard it enough times, and I totally failed to spot the seafar one and broadcast of variants one despite having heard them. My mind's on other things about to happen, and I guess I could have said "what's that crap on 54 mins?!". Having heard the podcast 3 times it's still wonderfully atmospheric and impenetrable.

Anyway, I wondered about it all being close to home for licensing purposes too. I like the way it sounds like they've got this Vladimir fella to do a "the future sound of London" thing. Maybe they should get Noel to do one in his best manc accent.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Maybe we'll get "the Amorphous Androgynous - Cosmic space music" on the next MPB podcast instead.

What are the exact timings for Seafar and Broadcast of Variants (the former's been taken off Soundcloud, probably with the release deadline approaching), might as well get three tracks noted down for the website at least.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

It's been taken down but there's a video on seafar's YouTube account in the fsoldigital style. I couldn't immediately spot where either track was though.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah, you haven't found them then? I think I misread something that suggested you'd found them.
From that clip above, I'd suggest the Broadcast of Variants track is the one that's around 12/13 minutes, although I can't work out whether it starts at 12.25 or if it's much earlier than that too. Damn you, formless ambient music.
I wish there was a tracklist for this. It'd be nice to listen to it without subconsciously thinking "oh, maybe this is the FSOL track..."

17:51-20:37 is that Extract from Views track that came up on YouTube.
51:43-54:40 is going to be Polemical, isn't it?
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Hm, everytime I try to create an account on fsoldigital, the site goes:

"Our system already has a record of that email address - please try logging in with that email address.
If you do not use that address any longer you can correct it in the My Account area."

They obvoiusly have my email-adress still, but there´s no password cause the last time I purchased something from them was with the old site, where I didn´t had to create a password. Does someone know if there is any way to create an account with keeping my adress?

EDIT: OK, I was stupid. Of course there WAS a password, I just had forgotten. Luckily I just remembered. It was quite a while I purchased stuff from them...

All went well, just downloading EBS7 !!
Last edited by Dennis on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnificient Insignificance