FSOL Rarities

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: FSOL Rarities

Post by Tito Lozano »

dell1972 wrote:I think the problem they had was that they originally perceived it quite literally as an archival project - i.e. throw out three albums worth of stuff they had in their archives as it is. I suspect the level of sales was unexpected. Also, the overriding feedback (and we've all said it) was that people wanted to hear it all mixed together with environments like a proper album/broadcast. In a way it was a shame because there is some very strong stuff on the first three archive albums, and it was not allowed to shine in a similar way as later archived albums. The clear signal was that one of the main things they loved about the likes of Lifeforms/ISDN/Dead Cities was the way all tracks merged into a whole.

The fact that they've quietly pushed the enhanced versions out with zero publicity, away from fsoldigital suggests they're not wholly comfortable with the concept of reselling the same stuff to people, and yet acknowledge many people want to hear these albums with a more polished finish. It was probably easier for them to string together these tracks into enhanced editions while they were putting together Volume 7, and to release them digitally than it would be to have to get physical copies made and stored etc. No fanfare means only the borderline obsessives (ahem) out there who really want the releases spot them. You put the stuff out there it will get found. They've actually rereleased quite a few things on Beatport incidentally (amorphous and humanoid stuff), but as far as I can see none of it is any different to how it was originally released.

I suspect there'll be some kind of complete set of discs released at some point in a limited release which might have the new enhanced versions included. I get the impression they seem too busy with the myriad of new projects for something like that at the moment though.

The aversion to digital only baffles me, these releases are available in lossless format, so you could make discs of them yourself. Each to their own I guess. I prefer the physical releases if it's something I really want, but I do ususally listen to it digitally.

Make re-releases on 1-3 archives commercially sounds wrong for band is ok ,well,but maybe a limited edition for real fans would be nice,i prefer official editions to simple cd-r copies,still i think that maybe Globular album with some adds would be another nice cd and not only digital only release
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The human mind is a particularly strange thing, because when it comes to digital only stuff I really fall into the camp of not being a fan. I've bought and downloaded a huge load of digital releases yet I never listen to them. Only when the computer is on and I happen to be scrolling through my iTunes. Even when I burn one to CDr, I rarely seem to give it the same attention as records I've bought.
On the other hand, I could always just slot discs of the enhanced archives into my normal archive cases, which might work. But I'm still waiting as Graham did say they'll be on FSOLDigital eventually.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I remember the days when I'd bought a new physical CD - I really listened those albums more, and more carefully too.
But that was 8-10 years ago and those days are long gone.

My computer and my hi-fi equipment is ON 24/7 and it makes no difference to me what is the type of sound-carrier. More to the point, I prefer the digital for listening - my whole audio equipment is tuned for digital sound.

I still buy CDs/Vinyl - but only to support the artists and the CDs/Vinyl is more of a decorative thing for me today. I download everything I want as soon as it gets out - and then buy what I can when I can. I've bought the bunch Archives 1-7 and ENV 1-4, 6 months ago and I only played two of those CDs... one time each... and then displayed them of the shelf in my living room... Vinyl - my record player isn't even connected and it's tucked away. I buy vinyl and never even listen to them (of-course I have them in my computer and have listened to them a 100 times). I guess I'm overly practical... always have been...

PS - I bought Klaus Schulze's Dune 12" a few weeks ago :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I do prefer a physical release with packaging to digital, somehow it seems more real and makes me put more effort in to listening to it. The absolute other end of the scale is "acquiring" something from the internet which is either unavailable or available at prohibitive prices due to its rarity. I find it hard to spend time listening to something in great detail.

At the end of the day I have little opportunity to listen to physical releases. I used to play stuff a lot in the car, but now I get the bus to work, so ultimately the copy just sits there on the shelf at home just out of reach of the kids and generally annoying 'er indoors by cluttering up the house... I do most almost all of my musical listening at work or to and from work. One day that may change, and I my kids maybe house trained enough to allow me to purchase a proper hi-fi again. It makes me laugh to think that my parents put up with me mucking around with their turntable in the 70s. Oh how they must have cringed.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I very rarely have my computer on, only really when I'm sorting out my own music, so that definitely plays into it somewhat. I'm also a huge fan of the tangibility of analogue, hence having a lot of stuff on vinyl and tape rather than CD and MP3. Although FSOL is difficult to listen to on vinyl as it always ends up with albums being chopped up where they should flow seamlessly.

On a side note, I had a dream last night that I'd bought a bootleg copy of Accelerator on LP by accident, and the cover said ACCELERATORS.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol acceleratorS would be so typical too

purchased CDs to me are two things - from what i understand they are more durable than CDr media......and just the artwork. i love HAVING that stuff to hold in my hand (translation.....i'm old)

it's just the obsessive collector in me really
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I'm now in two minds about getting the enhanced version of the first 3 Archives (which I only just found out about).

Like seedy, I would really want them on CD and my main concern is that if I buy them digitally and they later release them on CD then I would want to buy them again - so I'd end up buying the first 3 archives 3 times each. I wish there was some confirmation of whether or not they will be released on CD so I can make my decision.

And to those who have got the enhanced versions - are they worth it? :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

That depends, how much of a hardcore fan are you? The differences are mostly just short transitions between the tracks, so..

Checking my player right now, i.e. Archives 1 enhanced is almost 9 minutes longer than the regular version..

So I guess that would be yes :D
from the source flows the endless...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I'm new but hardcore ;)

I definitely do want to get the enhanced versions, but I just don't know whether to wait for CDs to be released one day...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, just write/ask them on FSOLDigital,
I'm sure someone will answer you,
it's a logical question after all...
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Good thinking. I emailed them just now. If I get a reply I'll post it in here :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Annoyingly, I didn't get a reply, so I'm still stuck trying to decide whether to wait and hope they are released on CD (which is what I would prefer) or to buy a download now (and then feel I wasted money if they do end up being released on CD one day)...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Back in the day they were generally pretty good at replying, you'd get an answer usually within a few hours and it would be directly from Brian. I'm not sure who's manning info@fsoldigital.com. I'm assume it's Graham Hicks. Could be it's not as simple as a yes or now, but a response would be nice.
I am the eye that looks within
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Yeah, even if the reply was "we're not sure at the moment" it would be better than nothing.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i wouldn't buy yet

put it this way....the digi enhanced versions aren't "going anywhere" and you do essentially already have the music

just patience n stuff ;)