FSOL Rarities

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: FSOL Rarities

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote:haha epitome is my kind of dude.....a "new fan"....yet ready to get f'n EVERYthing they've done =()
i'm impressed by this shared passion sir! :)
Yeah, I haven't even listened to several of the albums I've got, but I'm still after getting any other scraps that they've released elsewhere! 8-) I think it was some time last year I first heard FSOL and I've loved everything I've heard so far :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I also don't have much info on "live in the studio - remixed"
but yeah,
it's in the same style like extrememusic.com - hard to get by and you need to have an entertainment company to get into these sites, and on top of that it's very expensive - well, maybe not very expensive if you are a company...
- The point is if you are a member you pay annually and have access to ALL the releases on the site, you don't have to buy them one-by-one.

The only way to get these tracks is if someone (from this forum, probably a US citizen) knows a guy from the movie/tv industry and the guy knows a company that's a member of said websites. And the guy is ready to ask a gay about the files and keep it all hush-hush :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Just been checking out the FSOL remixes from the 90s, thanks to Pandemonium's reviews :) Some of those early 90s ones are pretty dodgy, although I'm sure that's mainly because of the original material ;)

A few good ones though, especially from the mid-90s :) The Deseo Reconstruction sounds just like an actual FSOL track - shame I can't find the Speed Deep remix. Darshana, Liquid Cool and Face-Savers On-Line seem to be the other highlights :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm glad the megathread helped :)

It purpose is actually exactly that - to teach a thing or two to an FSOL fan, new and old :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dude the mega thread rules!
when it's done it's a complete detailed f'n walk through history....beautiful!

nice epitome.....i'm actually going through the same with jean michel jarre right now. i've had oxygene forever but only recently decided to check out his other stuff and before i heard all of it i already knew i wanted all of it :mrgreen:
some music you just connect with that quick and easy ;)
f'n enjoy dude.....you're going to love the rest of your journey.

ross - i've ONLY purchased my CDs from fsoldigital......i just never realized there was a bonus associated with that. the digi files never mean anything to me as i don't do mp3.
ugh....i wonder if i can dig up ancient emails and find some links lol
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

You need to read the board better man :p
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I also have a feeling that most of the people here don't actually read the board, they just scroll through it, skipping threads and stuff...
It's not like we have 200 active members and 300 posts per day - this board is barely active - so yeah, read it more carefully :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Stuff worth getting IMO:

- The ISDN show promo
- Promo 500
- Dougans & Cobain: Nu Psychedelia

not really rare, but

- Enhanced editions of the first three Archives

That's pretty much all that comes to mind. Everything else is quite well available (at least in digital form)
Pandemonium wrote:ask a gay
\ :cry: / :mrgreen: :|
from the source flows the endless...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I'm really hoping we get some sort of FSOLDigital release of the Enhanced Archives, as I'm dying to hear, but would rather buy from the band, don't want to miss out on a potential CD release, and refuse to pay Beatport prices.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha i guess i just skip over some of the new release stuff because to me it's like....preordered, and that's that ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

What are the enhanced editions of the first three Archives?

I read somewhere that they were going to re-release them with the tracks joined together, but I didn't think this had happened yet?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

That's exactly what they are. They turned up on Beatport, I think Juno and iTunes too. We were given assurances last summer that they'd appear on fsoldigital too soon, but nothing has been forthcoming so far. I gradually bought them on Beatport as part of the occasional discounts they give out. It does sound very good, though I'd rather have got them straight from source, preferably in physical CD format.
I am the eye that looks within
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Yeah, I would want them on CD. Shame I only bought the original versions a few months ago and I've only even listened to the first Archive album yet!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i don't like that they didn't give us the enhanced to begin with.
i can't spend the money a 2nd time to get them you know!?!

then again i'm just remembering they are digi only which i also would not prefer

oh wellz :lol:
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I think the problem they had was that they originally perceived it quite literally as an archival project - i.e. throw out three albums worth of stuff they had in their archives as it is. I suspect the level of sales was unexpected. Also, the overriding feedback (and we've all said it) was that people wanted to hear it all mixed together with environments like a proper album/broadcast. In a way it was a shame because there is some very strong stuff on the first three archive albums, and it was not allowed to shine in a similar way as later archived albums. The clear signal was that one of the main things they loved about the likes of Lifeforms/ISDN/Dead Cities was the way all tracks merged into a whole.

The fact that they've quietly pushed the enhanced versions out with zero publicity, away from fsoldigital suggests they're not wholly comfortable with the concept of reselling the same stuff to people, and yet acknowledge many people want to hear these albums with a more polished finish. It was probably easier for them to string together these tracks into enhanced editions while they were putting together Volume 7, and to release them digitally than it would be to have to get physical copies made and stored etc. No fanfare means only the borderline obsessives (ahem) out there who really want the releases spot them. You put the stuff out there it will get found. They've actually rereleased quite a few things on Beatport incidentally (amorphous and humanoid stuff), but as far as I can see none of it is any different to how it was originally released.

I suspect there'll be some kind of complete set of discs released at some point in a limited release which might have the new enhanced versions included. I get the impression they seem too busy with the myriad of new projects for something like that at the moment though.

The aversion to digital only baffles me, these releases are available in lossless format, so you could make discs of them yourself. Each to their own I guess. I prefer the physical releases if it's something I really want, but I do ususally listen to it digitally.
I am the eye that looks within