Another X-series From Dougans & Cobain

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Another X-series From Dougans & Cobain

Post by Tito Lozano »

Yessss

https://www.extrememusic.com/#album/2293

XMT-184 - NU PSYCHEDELIA

8 new songs (but i feel some AA or FSOL bites between)

I contacted with Spanish division of Extreme Music and tell me that Extreme Series will be only available on itunes.
Last edited by Tito Lozano on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Another X-series CD From Dougans & Cobain !!!!!

Post by Pandemonium »

WOW, nice find as always RONTXO :)

This looks new... like 2013 new... any thoughts guys???
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Another X-series From Dougans & Cobain

Post by dell1972 »

Blimey, they have been busy!

The first couple of tracks didn't sound as much like them as their stuff usually does. What I mean is, there's certain sounds that seem to make their work immediately identifiable as them. It's there to an extent but less so. Only listened to the first four tracks, loved Shroom Walk, it's got a real Wickerman feel to it.

It kind of sounds fairly recent to me.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Coma Chameleon - that opening vocal sample sounds really familiar to me, something from one of the Amorphous records...?
Present Sense - a bit of an Amorphous vibe but yeah, not that much like their other stuff
What Goes Up - More Amorphousy stuff. I wonder if any of this came out of the sessions of those now long-lost albums mentioned in the Peppermint Tree booklet?
Shroom Walk - beautiful
The rest are kind of nice Amorphousy stuff.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

oh man.. so much stuff to listen to!

Absolutely love it.. will it ever seize? :D

This album is seriously f*cking kick ass.. like some Amorphous stuff mixed w/ breakbeats and just flat out CRAZY sounds. I remember seeing some short clip on youtube years ago where Gaz was DJing and he played something a little bit like this, this is actually I where I thought it was heading. Makes me wonder, is this something like the new FSOL album may sound? Are these something that were not good enough? :shock:

Seriously, this is right up my ally, the best elements of both projects. :P

Sorry, I'm kinda overwhelmed.. and they just release stuff like this on some strange compilation label? Crazy is the word.
from the source flows the endless...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

We can only speculate what this is... I would call it an EP of stuff made in the last 2-3 years, some of it is leftovers of stuff that didn't make it on the Cartel, some maybe are the The Jazz Mags, The New Love Poetry, Wobbly Oozescapes or some other projects...

Anyway, they do sound like 70% Amorphous with some serious FSOL touches...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Pandemonium wrote: The Jazz Mags, The New Love Poetry, Wobbly Oozescapes or some other projects...
You know, I wouldn't be so sure that those actually exist.. :D
I always thought about those as some kind of imaginary projects, like concepts that were never meant to actually happen, like those TOOL albums on the Aenima booklet.

But who knows, maybe they'll release an album called "Wobbly Oozescapes" one day :lol:
from the source flows the endless...
Ross

Post by Ross »

According to Brian all the albums documented in the Peppermint Tree booklet exist - if/when they'll be released is another matter.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

Has anyone signed up on the site to download these tracks? My understanding is they're library tacks sold complete with usage rights? I tried signing up on the site, but it needs approval from some mod or some such nonsense. The preview mp3s are nice, but I'd like the full resolution tracks.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
TimF
Hardhead

Post by TimF »

Long time lurker, just thought I'd let you know my slightly disappointing experience in trying to get this music. Below is transcript of my conversation with extreme music on their irritating 'realtime' chat interface (where you type a question and wait fifteen minutes for a response). In short, the music is supposedly only for film production companies etc. and can't be downloaded by private individuals, although some may appear on itunes (not much help for non-Apple users like myself).

"Chat Information Please wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Heather'

Heather: Welcome to Extreme Music - Give me your name and company and let’s get started…
Me: Hi there, My name's Tim. I was just wondering if it would be possible to download the XMT-184 album.
Me: Anyone there?
Heather: Hi Tim
Heather: you can download on the website, MP3, AIFF or WAV
Me: marvellous. How much does it cost?
Heather: what would you like to iuse the tracks for?
Me: to listen to :)
Heather: are you from a company? all of our music needs to be licesned and paid for
Me: no, I'm just me.
Heather: did you also just sign up for a login?
Me: happy to pay to download the music, but it'll only be played on my walkman or in my home office
Me: yes I just signed up
Heather: no im afraid we dont operate in that way. The music is only for professional companies to use in adverts/tv/film/radio etc and needs to be licensed and paid for. Feel free to listen on the site though
Heather: also some of our music is available on i-tunes so it's worth having a look there to see if any of the tracks you like are on there
Me: That's very disappointing. XMT-184 is Amorphous Androgynous / Future Sound of London, and I'm a big fanboy of theirs. I don't have itunes, I'm not an Apple person.

After that she just stopped talking to me. I'm a big fan and all, but I find this deliberately obtuse way of releasing stuff really tedious and unnecessary. Does anyone know why FSOL make us jump through so many hoops just to listen to some music?
Ross

Post by Ross »

These tracks were written and released purely as library music unfortunately - as an aside to their normal music releases. And sadly this is the way library music companies work.
Welcome to the board, by the way!
TimF
Hardhead

Post by TimF »

Thanks, Ross. I just find it irritating that I will have to go to that webpage every time I want to hear one of these tracks. If they wanted this music to be only for production companies, why put their names on it as composers when it's always going to get back to the fanboys, who are then going to be disappointed that they can't buy it?

If they really felt the need to produce something that their fans can't own (a concept that baffles me), they could easily have done so in a way that we wouldn't have found out.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, that's a shitty conversation (Tim vs Helen), :)
but if they work with industry only - then... that's it...
a lot of companies go that way, and it's nice business model.
(working with individuals is often a pain the ass...)

PS - remember Tim, the fans Always find out :)
TimF
Hardhead

Post by TimF »

I agree with everything you say, Pandemonium. My beef is absolutely not with Extreme, I understand that they are what they are and why they do things that way. No problem with that at all. As I said above, I just don't understand why FSOL would want to go that way, and even if they did, why they would then not do it under an untraceable pseudonym rather than prickteasing their fans.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

My guess (based on zero facts) is that being a famous name helps sell them to the commercial industries as much as it does for normal consumers. If I were to buy some tracks, buying from known authors would be much less of a risk than anonymous people.