Gaz writes in Mojo on Pink Floyd

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: Gaz writes in Mojo on Pink Floyd

Post by Tito Lozano »

This is a documentary that i seen other day on Tv about dark side of the moon sessions,Alan Parsons on produced etc,very interesting comments about Gilmour and synthetizers on Album.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pink-flo ... -the-moon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tryptych wrote:I always thought FSOL as the Pink Floyd of electronic music

I always thought FSOL as Nirvana of electronic music :)
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

yeah, i watched this documentary a few years ago. 13:45-16:10 ......fucking hellllllllll, just brilliant
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Had a flick through this mag at lunchtime, maybe I'm going blind but I couldn't spot Gaz's musings anywhere in there.

Nice looking CD though.
I am the eye that looks within
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

maybe I'm going blind but I couldn't spot Gaz's musings anywhere in there.
This was only on the Mojo-website I guess.

Concerning Floyd, I largely prefer their early phase (from Piper up to Meddle) rather than their later stuff. I mean if you take the whole Piper-Album or Songs like "Set the controls..." or the mighty "Echoes", there´s an intesity in the music that´s somehow missing on their later, more famous albums from "Dark Side..." to "The Wall".

It´s not that I don´t like them at all, actually I think they´re quite good (I mean "Shine On..." is a fucking anthem, the most famous song-intro-sound of all times maybe...), but in the late sixties they really were on the forefront of revolutionary music (I think "Piper" is the only true follow up to "Sgt. Pepper", Syd was a damn genius), on later albums they had this tendency to get a bit whiny in their attitude, especially all the Roger Waters led stuff.
OK, I admit that this sometimes has kind of an impact to me, (I somehow do like "Animals" a bit), but it often seemed to me like a pose or something. Same problem I have with Radiohead. (I loved "Kid A" and "Amnesiac", but today I just can´t listen to their albums, esp. the ones that came after, can´t somehow stand yorke´s whining anymore)
Ironically Hawkwind sounded very similar to them in the late seventies and yet the punks loved them.
Dell, which one of the Hawkwind albums do you mean? I have all their stuff up to 1975´s "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" (which is a fucking rare hard-to-get-piece today on CD), how does their later stuff sound? I only heard they got less interesting after Lemmy was leaving the band (AND that´s what he says himself in his very interesting Autobiography, which is a very funny read btw.)
Magnificient Insignificance
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Lemmy talks a good game and is never less than entertaining, but does like to blow his own trumpet somewhat. The four albums that followed the lately lesser spotted Warrior are classics. Quark Strangeness and Charm is a contender for best Hawkwind album full stop. They have a much cleaner sound, with the emphasis very much on Robert Calvert's clever lyrics (Lemmy referred to him as Raving Rupert, as he was a bipolar manic depressive who regularly went off the rails. I think he tried to stab Lemmy on stage once with a sword!). There isn't really a bad song on Quark at all, and fsol used Forge of Vulcan at least once in a broadcast.

The follow up 25 years on (by the Hawklords) was also very Floyd sounding, and semi acoustic. The other two from that era are Astounding Sounds Amazing Music, and PXR5. I love these albums as much as the Lemmy era, though it almost sounds like a completely different band.

If you're a fan of classic sci fi novels this era is interesting as there are many songs inspired by them: asimov's robot, zelazny's damnation alley and jack of shadows, ballard's high rise, hesse's steppenwolf etc. They also look back to their past a little as Spirit of the age is based upon two poems from the space ritual era, and I think the lyrics to infinity were originally in the space ritual tour program
I am the eye that looks within
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ah OK, thanks.

I noticed that certain folks seem to like especially the "Quark..." album. Will have to give it a listen.

To me "Hall of the Mountain Grill" and "Warrior..." are THE masterpieces of 70ies psych-space-prog-stuff. I´m crazy for those mellotron-driven, lysergic-dripping, archaic battle-hymns that seem to be broadcasted directly from some parallel universe or something...

I would like to recommend in this context some of the stuff arthur brown did in the seventies and early eighties.
The third album of his band Kindom Come, "Journey" is a very astonishing record (I think it´s quite famous for being the first album to feature a drum machine on every song) "Time Captives" is a song you definitely should have heard if you are into the 70ies Hawkwind/Floyd stuff.
And there´s his solo-effort "Requiem" from 82´ (or so). It got recently re-released and is one of the most innovative records I´ve ever heard. Psychedelic, apocalyptic electro-pop music. Imagine a mind boggling cross between David Bowie and Depeche Mode with strange, sinister lyrics and very exalted singing/chanting about an impending nuclear disaster.
Magnificient Insignificance