Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Post by dell1972 »

Absynthe is a funny one to quote, isn't that still illegal in many countries? Never tried it.

What I did/took in the past is a far cry from what I do now. I don't regret any of it, but wouldn't actively recommend anything. Psychedelics for example tend to test your mental robustness, and that's not a test you want to casually fail. I had some wonderful and horrible experiences in equal measure with a vast array of substances natural and chemical and regard it all as a great experience.

These days, it's a different story, I don't like the day after generally and have responsibilities/dependents so it's really not a good idea. I haven't smoked in about 4 years, and don't take any substances other than caffeine in tea, and alcohol at the weekend. And, yes, I grow my own veg too now. Very rock and roll. If I didn't have dependents, and had a less conventional job, who can say whether it would be the same situation now? My record collection is primarily psychedelic in nature, and I still enjoy it all greatly.

Token Noel Gallagher comment. He's similarly toned it down massively. He spent about 10 minutes of his comeback press conference talking about the kettle he was off to buy afterwards. Life in the fast lane as they say.

Interesting you mentioning Asperger's syndrome Ross, I heard someone mention not so long ago that electronic music tends to appeal more to people who have Asperger's. To be honest I haven't read enough about it to properly understand, but found the comment quite interesting. Until then, all I really knew was that Gary Numan famously has it. This has gone way off topic now hasn't it?
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh let's not worry about off topic.....we're all here for the music and for each other so no discussion needs any parameters. i'm sure we'll get back to things once we hear more about this album anyhoo ;)

hey now don't get me wrong.....i'm fine to be sober. i can listen to tunes and take all kinds of journies without the need for anything. i will say though about my "you've never lived" comment. i mean....obvs that's not to be taken literally. but it's something that's hard to describe if you haven't just done it/been there once or twice.
for me i could be sober from this day and for the rest of my life and still have a "reference point" if you will. the experiences that i had just stay with you. and it's nothing that slaps you in the face or you feel incredibly.....it's just a lingering memory and knowledge of a different realm that to me so much of my music points to. it created a "room in my mind" that i might likely have never discovered otherwise.

booze.....well for me that's a sore subject. never was big into the booze as my stomach just won't allow it. have never blacked out in my life or anything like that because when my tummy has had enough...that's it. i'm done drinking at that point as i hate the feeling of puking so bad lol. on top of that i just find it so much more EVIL than herb. i just look at the world and there is such immense destruction, sadness, violence, anger....all stemming from alcohol. i look at herb and i see some happy people who maybe forgot to do a chore they were supposed to do lol. it just amazes me that booze can be SO much more impairing to the degree that you can be essentially a "zombie" by walking around all night and having no memory the next day of what you did. and yet here we have bars in every town in the world where we are allowed the risk of going overboard and then getting behind the wheel of a vehicle etc.
lol like i said.....sore subject....i'll surely have a beer or two like once a month or so.....but generally it's not really my thing and the hypocrisy of this stuff being legal pisses me off =P

coke, mdma, pills etc......never done any of this stuff in my life. i surely was a candidate for mdma but was just old enough and had done enough to say "i don't need a new thrill". for me these days i limit myself to three substances....two of which are rare occasion ;)

cool story ross...that's quite an influence for someone so young. from 10 years old i was listening to madonna, bruce springsteen, michael jackson.....and then i "graduated" to stuff like bon jovi and skid row lol
my youth was spent listening to a lot of heavy music......from glam rock to rock n roll to thrash and hardcore.
it wasn't until i got into phish that my tastes totally changed. i used to listen to some german techno stuff back in high school but i didn't really "find" pure electronica until i started listening to ozric tentacles which turned me to eat static.

ahh......memories ;p
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

dell1972 wrote:Interesting you mentioning Asperger's syndrome Ross, I heard someone mention not so long ago that electronic music tends to appeal more to people who have Asperger's. To be honest I haven't read enough about it to properly understand, but found the comment quite interesting. Until then, all I really knew was that Gary Numan famously has it. This has gone way off topic now hasn't it?
Apparently a lot of famous minds throughout history are believed to have had it (it's nicknamed Eistein Syndrome, hah).
I suppose describing having it is like describing the psychedelic drug experience to somebody who hasn't experienced it, to tie with seedy. I don't really have a desire to experience a 'different realm' through drugs, because I live in an entirely different world to the one most people live in. I experience the 'real world', but in a detached way which makes it seem difficult to connect with really. So stuff like FSOL, highly atmospheric, evocative music that doesn't exist quite in the real world kind of ties in with my view of things. I spent my childhood making up whole new worlds and existences through drawings, stories, pretend radio shows and later music, and for years believed I was the star of a TV programme about my life. So when I found music it was just another way into this world. It also explains the fact that my main Second Thought albums so far have been a series of linking records that soundtrack various places in my world (and why I've all but disowned the records that don't fit into that mould).

Alcohol is one of the biggest evils in the world, and is legal because of the tax revenue it brings in, and because it gives people an easy form of escape from the monotony of life that dulls the need to revolt. But treated with respect and maturity, it's fine. I enjoy ale and red wine for their flavour, and very rarely exceed more than four drinks these days. It's nice in that way. I have more problems with the tobacco industry, in terms of how it abuses developing countries and causes considerable ill health.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

it was only after many years of me smoking weed that i finally got to read books about it, in order to get a scientific and academic point of view. the more i was reading, the more i began to understand the shameful hypocritical system that puts alcohol into legal, which scientifically speaking is the worst ever and the most dangerous psychoactive in the world, and weed into illegal. its not only absurd, its hilarious!! i was watching a doc recently about it, i cant recall the numbers accurately but more or less the level of danger for each drug was like this: alcohol - 70%, even heroin was less, but i cant recall the number, cant recall for opium either. then it was coke with around 50-55%, and weed???? fucking 20%!!! its obvious that something is wrong here, and after all the reading ive done, its no wonder why the herb is the most loved, accepted, folk i would say psychoactive for all the people around the globe. not that it can not drive u mad, but if you think about it any thing in the world can drive a person mad if mistreated, feelings for example. i wont go further into the details of its medical and therapeutic use which are well known and used for thousands of years, but i dont think that there is something wrong with the sense of euphoria that it produces, really absolutely nothing wrong, instead it can solve many problems if in the right mood. it might sound odd to some people, but actually i have solved many serious problems of my life while in this state, i dont know if the reason is that it relaxes me so that i can think properly without being stressful, but it has helped me overcome a lot of turmoil and dead-ends, its a fact that it has helped me take the right and crucial decision. i dont why, but its true. as for why booze is legal and pot is illegal, the answer is obvious. i just cant understand these stupid morons, if they made it legal and taxed it, governments would make huge money because almost everybody smokes it. what a stupid system
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

That said, FSOL gives me an instant "flashback" into that space, a bit like Floyd does. When I put Dead Cities on, whoosh!, there I am. No other bands do this for me.
Oooh, how I KNOW what you mean. ;)

Since I do a simple form of Meditation with the "So-Ham"-Mantra every day 20 minutes in the morning (just after rising up from bed) and 20 minutes in the evening (right before laying down to sleep) I can affirm that this produces a state that is similar of having a mild LSD-high, but one that lasts the whole day (and night: your dreams get much more lively and bright).

(If someone here is really up trying to do this - don´t expect any wonders. You should practice it at least two weeks, before the effect appears. Alcohol, any kind of drugs, and eating too much meat turn the effect down.)
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Back to Noel Gallagher, apparently his album with Amorphous contains 10 new tracks and versions of 3 songs from High Flying Birds. You can hear a snippet (30 seconds) of their version of his single If I Had a Gun here. It sounds... well, like Amorphous, really.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Interesting stuff. Very Amorphous sounding. So the album is going to effectively be 3 feature length singles...
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I'm sure the 10 original tracks are going to be totally crazy. The clip sounds good though. Looking forward to this one.
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

It seems to change on a daily basis. Just seen a slightly different comment on the AA collaboration album: 4 songs on both albums now. I have to say the two versions of If I had a Gun sound wildly different.

"There's more to come, with Gallagher about to sign off on a musically ambitious project with electronic producers Amorphous Androgynous, aka Future Sound Of London. Indeed, that album was supposed to come first, until Gallagher decided it "would f — k people's heads up too much." Four of the songs on High Flying Birds were originally intended for the Amorphous Androgynous collaboration, but after hearing how the electronic duo treated If I Had A Gun — "not destroyed it, but demolished it and put it back together again" — Gallagher decided to score them in a more conventional fashion. The four songs now appear on both albums, but on the Amorphous Androgynous venture they are supplemented by 10 fresh ones better suited for the experimental project."

http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blogs ... great.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

He , noel is knowing what to listen to the mixtures of these electronic wizards
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

been looping this small 28sec sample of If I Had a Gun version. this is supernatural...
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

And a little bit more info on this in this month's Mojo, with a bit of extravagant storytelling from old Monobrow.

http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blogs ... -with.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Noel Gallagher has been speaking to Mojo about his project with Amorphous Androgynous, which is due for release next summer.

The album, which doesn't have a title as yet, is a collaboration with psychedelic collective Amorphous Androgynous and Noel has said that it takes in genres that he would have stayed well clear of in his days with his former band.

Speaking to the current issue of Mojo he said: "There are three songs from High Flying Birds on that, but they are barely recognisable. Then there's ten original compositions, but it's all one long piece of music, inspired with spoken word. It's fu*king good man. I'd go in Paul Weller's studio and there'd be twenty people there - like fu*kin hippies. I'd be 'alright mate?' (Leslie Phillips voice) Air-hair-lair! I'm Gethsemane, I'm going to be playing marimba...!' You look like a wizard what the f*ck?! Then I'd go back to the sanity of my own record - three minutes, what a relief."

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Bird's is released next month. "

Full interview and review of first album for those who wish to damage their eyesight irreparably through squinting:

dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

And a bit more from Noel on working with Gaz and Brian. This seems to be from The Quietus, but I can't find it on there. I like the bit where he realises he's working with the maker of Stakker Humanoid:

http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blogs ... s-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At The Quietus we were very excited to learn that you’re also working with Amorphous Androgynous because we loved the last ever Oasis release, Falling Down, that they remixed for you. From the little bit I’ve read about it, it sounds like it’s been a pretty intense experience.

NG: Right, I’m going to give you the quick version. This was the record that I started doing first after the split. I took a few of my songs which have ended up on the High Flying Birds album and gave them to Garry [Cobain] and Brian [Dougans]. And they totally took these songs to pieces, they were sticking bits in the wrong way round, putting the end and the beginning, sticking a load of extra choruses in there. I was like, ‘Woah, what have you done?’ And they were like, [imitates stoned guy] ‘Don’t worry about it man, it’s going to be fucking great.’ It sounded good but I was a bit worried about having something that mad come out as my first solo record. So I gave them some more songs to work with, but maybe songs that were less finished, a bit more like sketches, and some other tracks that I still wasn’t sure about, to see what they would do with them. And what they came back with was fucking great. But I don’t want to say too much about it now, because then I won’t have anything to talk about next year when that album comes out. Do you know them?

I know who they are. I’m a back in the day fan of ‘Stakker Humanoid’ [by Humanoid] and Future Sound Of London.

NG: And what a fucking tune ‘Stakker Humanoid’ is! I didn’t realise it was them until we were about halfway through recording. Someone mentioned that track halfway through recording and I was like, ‘You’re fucking joking… shut up… get the fuck out of here!’ I had to stop and give them a hug. I used to love that tune! But what I will say is this: Gaz never shuts up. He will not stop talking. Every day it would be a lecture on the psychedelic gifts that we were about to receive and there would be an hour and a half, bare minimum, of him talking before we even did anything. And the other one, Brian, never says a word. He just makes loads of joints and occasionally goes: “This is going to be… great.” I’d be in the studio with one guy that never shuts up and another that never talks, both of them getting really high and blowing my songs to pieces and I’d be like, ‘I’m sure I used to be in a really famous band...’ But what they’ve done is amazing.

That’s fair enough but just whet our appetite a little bit. If there’s a certain sun-dappled psychedelia to High Flying Birds, is the Amorphous Androgynous record going to melt our faces?

NG: Well, I’ll tell you this, if there are hints of psychedelia to the High Flying Birds then Gaz and Brian have taken those hints and exploded them. They say that they’ve finished but they still haven’t delivered it. I know they’re still tweaking it, making it go even further out there. I think there’s going to be about ten intense psychedelic songs and three songs that are on the High Flying Birds album but reworked by them. How we’ve envisaged it is like a modern take on Dark Side Of The Moon, with lots of texture and ambient noise on it…

You know what, you need to get a lot of doorbell noises on it, so that when some 15-year old pothead in Levenshulme hears it he gets up to answer the door in the middle of the night.

NG: Ha ha ha! Brilliant. You know what, before I was in Oasis I used to live in Asia House in Manchester and my door bell was exactly the same tone as a sound out of ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ and I can’t tell you the number of times I got up to answer the door stoned out of my mind and there was no one there…

And as is my wont, I’d better end on a terrible question: all the way from the Inspiral Carpets to Alisha Sufit of Magic Carpet [psych rock singer and Amorphous Androgynous/Noel Gallagher collaborator], how has the trip been so far?

NG: Do you know what? All of it’s been brilliant. In a word, great. Even Oasis splitting up was great. I mean, we got 17 years out of it. Who would have thought we would have stayed as big as we did for as long as we did? Just brilliant.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Very few things make me smile more than a sarcastic Manc's take on Gaz and Brian in the studio.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Gaz never shuts up. He will not stop talking. Every day it would be a lecture on the psychedelic gifts that we were about to receive and there would be an hour and a half, bare minimum, of him talking before we even did anything. And the other one, Brian, never says a word. He just makes loads of joints and occasionally goes: “This is going to be… great.” I’d be in the studio with one guy that never shuts up and another that never talks, both of them getting really high and blowing my songs to pieces and I’d be like, ‘I’m sure I used to be in a really famous band...’
Best quote I've read in a long time ! :lol: