Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Post by Dennis »

I have the strange feeling that this album could bring AA (and even FSOL maybe) to a state of being noticed by a wider audience than in the last 10 years if it truly comes out next year, no matter if they intended this or not (they probably didn´t).

Yesterday I read the first mentioning of AA in a german music magazin since 2002 (The Isness received some reviews here around this time), it really looks like this collab will get them some more attention outside mojo magazine and a certain online message board...

BTW, does someone know on which label it will come out? Fsoldigital or Noels label? Maybe on both...
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

More vague interview questions:
From Rolling Stone.

How is your next record coming along with Amorphous Androgynous?
Yeah, we could put it out tomorrow. We’re just fiddling with the mixes. You know, psychedelic pop record. Not electronic. If you actually like psychedelic music, you’ll love it, you don’t, you’ll fucking hate it.

When do you expect that to be out?
In an ideal world, next summer, but I couldn’t give you a definite release date. I could have made a double album, because all of these two albums are derived from the same sessions. There were different tracks on both if you know what I mean.

Are you going to be performing any of the songs from that record in concert, when you’re out on tour?
I’m not going to do the Amorphous stuff just yet because I think people would be stunned, and they’d be thinking, "I don’t know what this is, I don’t know what it is, I don’t know what he’s going on about. He’s actually talking..." So I’ll wait till it comes out before I drop it on people.

This won't be coming out on FSOLDigital, I would imagine Noel's label will be handling it.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Noel's everywhere at the moment, I seriously think they've cloned him. He's even been on Newsnight and Radio 4 in the last few days. Probably for the best it doesn't get released on fsoldigital, I could imagine that going badly wrong, the server falling over in seconds, it getting released late etc..

The general gist of a lot of reviews seem to be that the new album's good but a little predictable, but oh look what he's releasing next year. There seems to be a lot of expectation.
I am the eye that looks within
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

From the Irish Independent: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 06387.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's also the first of two albums, as Noel has collaborated with The Amorphous Androgynous, another alias for The Future Sound of London.

"I can't blow the kids' minds too early," he says laughing. "They'll think I've gone completely mad. It's jazz, space reggae. If my songs on the High Flying Birds album are slightly psychedelic in places, The Amorphous Androgynous project takes that and stretches it to its limit. I won't go any further out than this. There's nowhere further to go."
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Some more clips appear to have been leaked.

http://sourmashrecords.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The If I Had A Gun sample sounds the same as the last one, but there's a couple of clips from The Death Of You And Me. I actually laughed out loud when I heard what they've done with it. Mr Sponge's Groovy Oscillations meets Yellow Submarine anyone? I'd have paid to have seen the look on his face when they played that version to him...

Ross

Post by Ross »

I'd love to hear these, but sadly someone somewhere else in the library is downloading from the same filesharing site. Sigh.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I might add for those who haven't downloaded this or can't be bothered to navigate a filesharing site, that it turns out that this isn't a leaked recording at all. Other than the already leaked If I Had A Gun clip, this comprises of a 1 min long and 30 second long clip of a very psychedelic version of The Death Of You And Me. It turns out that the first minute has been lifted from the start of the video for AKA What a Life (as the woman is entering Russell Brand's rather Lynchian Red Room):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the 30 second clip is from the end of the video.

I guess this casts some doubt as to whether it is indeed from the AA sessions, though I have to say it doesn't sound unlike them. It also makes me wonder where the original leaked clip came from.

Talking of David Lynch, that video of "The Trees" that Brian put on youtube seems wonderfully Twin Peaks like in its scariness.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I would imagine the 30 second clip is the AA mix and the minute long thing is a silly mix with other stuff to make it more interesting.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Hmm, I see a pattern emerging here... The original leaked Amorphous Androgynous version of If I Had A Gun, is indeed the last 30 seconds tacked onto the end of the video for that song, which was the single in the US.

Ross

Post by Ross »

I've had this worry in the back of my mind that maybe Noel or his label would back out of releasing this due to it being too difficult or weird or whatever, but I keep reading reviews of High Flying Birds saying "it's alright, but I'm more looking forward to the Amorphous Androgynous collaboration...". There's a staggering amount of anticipation for this record already, and it won't be out for... well, a year at least, I'd imagine.

First one's alright. Probably the best set of songs he's written since Morning Glory (although I really like some tracks on Don't Believe the Truth), although it's all very samey after a while.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I quite like the new High Flying Birds album, it's generally a strong set of songs, though other than some trumpets here and there, it's not a massive departure.

He seems to have started the Amorphous album and got worried about it being too far out, so produced a straighter album, the result being a bit straighter than some would like. I wonder if those saying it's too like Oasis will be saying the AA collaboration is too far out. I guess you can't please everyone all of the time. He can't be that worried, it went straight to number one. It always feels a bit odd knowing you've bought an album that got to number one.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Apparently the Amorphous version of If I Had a Gun was used as intro music at his Usher Hall gig on Thursday. YouTube videos:
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Will be nice to hear high fidelity versions of these, it all sounds quite encouraging. I guess we have a wait on our hands for that though.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Noel Gallagher is quite rightly a bit nervous about the next album. The whole world and their granny have pinned their hopes on it:

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/60104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The former Oasis chief released his first individual LP 'Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds'
on October 17, and saw the album enter the UK charts at Number One after it clocked up sales of over 120,000 in its first week of release (October 23).

But the guitarist, who confirmed in a press conference earlier this year that he had also recorded an album with Amorphous Androgynous that would be released in 2012, told the Daily Star that he wished he'd never revealed details about the LP.

He said:

A lot of people are looking forward to it, which I'm a bit nervous about. They're building it up in their own minds, thinking it's going to be something it might not be when they hear it.

Gallagher, who recently indicated that he would be keen to collaborate with U2 or Coldplay due to the size of their record sales, added: "It's fucking good, but I probably shouldn't have announced it. But I just thought, 'It's finished, so fuck it, here's what I've been working on.'"
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Apparently the monobrowed one discusses next year's album with the Amorphous Androgynous amongst other things in next month's Q Magazine. Out on Tuesday 29th Nov for those who care.

http://news.qthemusic.com/2011/11/noel_ ... es_no.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;