Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2001.0 (Remixes & Remixed)

Post by Pandemonium »

Humanoid - Stakker Humanoid 2001 [single remixes] (Mar.2001)
Jumpin' & Pumpin' - CDS TOT 43 / 12 TOT 43 / 12 TOT 43P

For no apparent reason at all, except maybe a teaser announcement of the Dougans/Cobain return on the music scene, in March 2001 the legendary acid single Stakker Humanoid got re-released (again) with some new remixes. There are actually two new remixers here - Krafty Kuts and Plump DJs. Both new to the breakbeat scene, working since 1998, hitting the breaks mainstream post-2000 - these guys are as good as you get of post-2000 breakbeat. I was very into breaks back then, and I still dig this kind of dance music very much.

Krafty Kuts is Martin Reeves, the guy who makes a unique blend of funky breaks with a touch of drum'n'bass. Also, listed as engineer on the Krafty mix is Ed Solo, a drum'n'bass producer of low profile (read: he doesn't release albums and most of his releases are 12" only). The Krafty mix on the CD is a shorter (radio edit) version, whereas the 12" has the full mix. The mix is a superb version of breaks meeting the acid. Towards the end there is some really mindblowing acid frequency improvisation which is more obvious on the early version named Stakker Humanoid 2000, which was released on a white label 12" only. The 2000 mix is trashier and more underground, with really really crazy acid in the second half which reminds me very much of Josh Wink and the american-acid style.

Plump DJs are Andy Gardner & Lee Rous - probably my favorite post-2000 breaks act. These Soho guys blended acid-house with breaks like no other, mixing everything from hard-core techno to dancefloor music while keeping the energy to the max at all times. Their debut album, A Plump Night Out (2000) is a warm recommendation for crazy home parties - I know I made a dozen great ones in my student days. The Plump mix gets seriously sick after the 4 minute mark.

01 - Stakker Humanoid (Krafty's Radio Cut) [3:55]
02 - Stakker Humanoid (Plump DJ's 2001 Re-Touch) [6:49]
03 - Stakker Humanoid (7" Original) [3:40] - (aka Radio Edit) - as heard on the original release in 1988.
04 - Stakker Humanoid (Snowman Mix) [3:54] - as heard on the 12" re-release in 1992.

A1 - Stakker Humanoid (Plump DJ's 2001 Re-Touch) [6:49]
B1 - Stakker Humanoid (Krafty Kuts Mix) [6:41]
B2 - Stakker Humanoid (12'' Original) [4:55] - as heard on the original release in 1988.

A - Stakker Humanoid (2000 Remix, Early Remix by Krafty Kuts)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Miles - Paths (FSOL 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix) (16.07.2001)
S:alt Records - SALT002CD / SALT12002

Robert Miles (Roberto Concina) is an Italian producer that made HUGE success in 1994-96 with the dream-house defining hit 'Children' (inspired by a collection of photos taken by Miles' father while stationed in war-torn Yugoslavia). In 2000/2001 he was working on his ingenious album Organik. Managing to involve Bill Laswell (the fusion wizard from USA), Trilok Gurtu (german/indian percussionist, quite possibly the best on the planet) and Nitin Sawhney (indian/british producer) to guest/produce this album is an achievement only a few people understand. The album takes a turn into downtempo ambient filled with textures and you can literally feel the influence of FSOL. His next album Miles_Gurtu (2004) is a criminally overlooked album.

Paths was a single from the Organik (2001) album that got remixed by FSOL (In 2002 the whole album got remixed by various artists). How in the world did Miles managed to contact FSOL (when the whole world thought they didn't exist anymore) to make him a remix, and on his own infant 'S:alt' label - remains unknown to date.

The remix is in Amorphous Androgynous style that we know today, but back then most of the FSOL fans scratched their heads thinking this remix was some kind of a mistake and the credited FSOL was not 'their' FSOL. Strings, sitars, sarangi, and the unusual AA production re-touch... The uncredited female vocal is quite pleasent too. All being said, the remix isn't bad, but it's probably the worst of the post-2000 remixes.

3 - Paths (FSOL 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix Edit) [3:50]
7 - Paths (FSOL 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix) [7:11]

A month after this one, Gaz will make a DJ-Mix on the Big Chill festival, confusing the fans further with the psychedelic music madness...
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Pande-reviews: 2001.0 (Remixes & Remixed)

Post by Ross »

An on the opposite end of things, I can't stand the Stakker 2001 versions but the Paths remix is one of my favourites.
I wonder what it would have been like to hear the Paths remix without any warning of its style - on the FSOLList everyone was aware of the kind of thing it'd be, given the snippets of news that they'd gone psychedelic in sound. It was the first proper example of the AA sound and a pretty exciting release!

Interesting snippet - the Plump DJs track is actually entirely by them, and not technically a remix. They made it themselves as a sort of reconstruction of the track - effectively a cover version.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

The Plump DJ remix always reminds me of this -

(Can't actually find the Stakker Humanoid one, but this mix is relevant to the page !)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Cool info about the Plump reconstruction - I didn't knew that...

And Pete... well... gamers will be gamers... :)

were you thinking about this one?

mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Aye, that's the one !
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2001.1 (FSOL - The Big Chill - Live Mix)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - The Big Chill, Live @ Lulworth Castle (18.08.2001) bootleg / unreleased

An 85 minute psychedelic DJ mix by Gaz at 2001's Big Chill Festival at Lulworth Castle in the UK. This was the first widely publicised outing since 1997. Some fans knew what to expect and enjoyed the psychedelic tripp, others were scratching heads expecting the old FSOL - but after this DJ mix, it was clear to all where FSOL are headed, and the following Mello Hippo Disco Shows will only confirm it.

Fixed timings on this tracklist, also fixed some mistaken songs, and found out new ones...
So sit back, play the mix, and enjoy the read... (lots of background info as usual, but the tracks that were mixed before in the MPB 1 in 1997 are without background info - 'cos you know... to not repeat myself...)

Tracklisting: (scroll to the end of the post to see just the plain tracklist)

00:00 Hariprasad Chaurasia - Raga: Manzh Khamaz (Teental) [aka Raga: Manj Khamaj (Teental)] - (Oriental, 1995)
- ( http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-mysti ... 0000197387 )
- My favorite Indian flutist. Zakir Hussain on tabla here, who is my favorite Idnian musician ever, a pure pure artist!

01:59 The Beatles - All You Need is Love - (Capitol Records, 1967)
- just a short (20 second) snippet of the Beatles song, the Chaurasia track then continues...

02:20 Hariprasad Chaurasia - Raga: Manzh Khamaz (Teental) [aka Raga: Manj Khamaj (Teental)] - (Oriental, 1995)
- Chaurasia has a Pandit title, which is title of respect for a learned man (scholars) in India.
- Raga - A traditional melodic type in Hindu music, consisting of a theme that expresses an aspect of religious feeling and sets forth a tonal system on which variations are improvised within a prescribed framework of typical progressions, melodic formulas, and rhythmic patterns.
- Tala - Tala, Taal or Tal is the term used in Indian classical music for the rhythmic pattern of any composition and for the entire subject of rhythm, roughly corresponding to metre in Western music, though closer conceptual equivalents are to be found in the older system of rhythmic mode and its relations with the "foot" of classical poetry, or with other Asian classical systems such as the notion of usul in the theory of Ottoman/Turkish music.
- Tintal (or teental, trital) - is one of the most famous talas of Hindustani music. It is also the most common tal in North India.
- Khamaj - is one of the ten Thaats (parent scales) of Hindustani music. It is also a specific raga within the Khamaj thaat.
- Manzh Khamaz aka Manj Khamaj is a night raga.

11:41 Jeff Buckley - Tongue - (Columbia, 1994)
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Buckley-So- ... se/1320548 )
- ( )

15:25 Dead Can Dance - The Host of Seraphim - (4AD, 1988) - vocal samples incorporated in the Tongue track

20:36 The Future Sound of London - The Lovers - (Future Sound of London Recordings, 2002)

28:45 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time - (Decca, 1965)
- aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Oldham-Or ... se/3809666 )
- Oldham was the original manager and record producer of The Rolling Stones. There was no actual orchestra per se. The name was applied to recordings made by Oldham using a multitude of session musicians, including members of the Rolling Stones. This track was sampled by The Verve for their track Bitter Sweet Symphony, which led to suing and courts...

32:14 The Mystic Moods - Cosmic Sea - (Warner Bros. Records, 1973)
- The Mystic Moods Orchestra, created by audiophile Brad Miller, mixed orchestral pop, environmental sounds, and pioneering recording techniques becoming one of the choice audio aphrodisiacs of the 60's and 70's.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Mystic-Moods-The ... se/2771652 )

34:38 US69 - 2069: A Spaced Oddity - (Buddah Records, 1969)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/US-69-Yesterdays ... ase/823669 )
- also known as the Mustard Family, these guys had just one album in 1969, obviously more than enough to catch the ear of Dougans/Cobain.

38:40 ????? - ?????

41:26 The Spencer Davis Group - Waltz for Lumumba - (Festival Records, 1967)
- This is actually a rare non-album track, a B-side from the I'm a Man single.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Spencer-Davis-Gr ... se/4404870 )

44:18 Si Begg - The Sound of Freakin' The Frame - (Under 5's, 1999)
- Downloaded & confirmed.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Si-Begg-Network- ... ease/18271 )
- What is this new breaks piece doing here??? Sounds great...

46:53 Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations - (Cadet Records, 1968)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Dorothy-Ashby-Af ... se/1013297 )
- the best and most complete album done by jazz harpist (a rare style), Dorothy Ashby turned the harp into a lead instrument, and offered solos that were as tough and memorable as those done by any reed, brass, or percussion player.

49:23 ????? - ????? - some female opera vocals...

51:12 Betty Davis - If I'm in Luck (I Might Get Picked Up) - (Just Sunshine Records, 1973)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Betty-Davis-Bett ... ase/964304 )
- born Betty Mabry, she was Miles Davis's second wife. Miles credited Betty with helping to plant the seeds of his future musical explorations by introducing the trumpeter to psychedelic rock guitarist Jimi Hendrix and funk innovator Sly Stone.

55:35 Miles Davis - Rated X - (Columbia, 1972)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Get- ... ase/371466 )
- a rare Miles track that was released on the 'Get Up With It' compilation in 1974, and later on the complete 'On The Corner' sessions. Miles plays the organ here, there is no trumpet on this track. This track is just... pure genius...

1:00:36 Ananda Shankar - Dancing Drums - (His Master's Voice, 1975)
- Another track from the psychedelic indian funk album. A crazy one!
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Ananda-Shankar-A ... ase/879286 )

1:03:31 Hawkwind - Silver Machine - (United Artists Records, 1972)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Hawkwind-Silver- ... se/2167553 )
- one of the earliest space rock groups. Lemmy from Motorhead was playing with them for a while. This track was recorded live at a Greasy Truckers benefit gig at The Roundhouse, London on 13 February 1972. The music was composed by Dave Brock who used his then wife Sylvia Macmanus' maiden name for credits. The verse is an 8-bar Rock and Roll boogie whose riff is an adaption of the standard riff that can be heard on the likes of Johnny and the Hurricanes' "Red River Rock". Lemmy sings the vocals here.

1:06:29 The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary - (Beggars Banquet, 1985)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Cult-Love/release/440460 )
- This was the last song to be recorded with The Cult's drummer, Nigel Preston, who was fired from the band shortly after its release.

1:09:13 The Osmonds - Crazy Horses - (MGM Records, 1972)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Osmonds-Crazy-Ho ... se/1932602 )
- The song is claimed to be a protest about the amount of pollution created by cars.

1:11:25 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Crosstown Traffic - (Track Record, 1968)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Exp ... se/1715314 )
- Unlike many of the tracks on the album, this recording features the full line-up of the Experience with Hendrix, Noel Redding, and Mitch Mitchell. Hendrix also plays a makeshift kazoo made with a comb and tissue paper in tandem at points with his lead guitar, and backing vocals are performed by Redding along with Dave Mason.

1:12:41 Adam and The Ants - Antmusic - (CBS, 1980)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Adam-And-The-Ant ... ase/399637 )
- The music video to "Antmusic" featured the group playing in a discotheque with a giant juke-box, and persuading the young audience to turn away from disco music and dance to the new-styled 'Ant-Music'.

1:14:38 Wizards of Ooze - Helga - (Backbone Records, 1996)
- Mysterious acid lounge jazz band from Belgium active only in the '90s
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Wizards-Of-Ooze- ... ase/578216 )

1:15:54 James Last - Here Comes The Sun - (Polydor, 1972)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/James-Last-Music ... se/1454918 )
- German composer and big band leader. His "happy music" made his numerous albums best-sellers in Germany and the UK.

1:18:31 Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - (Atlantic, 1969)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Roberta-Flack-Fi ... se/2979209 )
- a 1957 folk song written by British political singer/songwriter Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger, who would later become his wife. At the time the couple were lovers, although MacColl was married to someone else. Seeger sang the song when the duo performed in folk clubs around Britain.

1:20:02 - Transmission outro - environments effects and pieces...

1:21:35 - "I don't know how to say this, but Garry's told me that's it..." ... crowd cheers... confused...

1:22:24 - The next bands are getting announced...

1:23:54 End

And here's a plain tracklist, for the fans that want to save it:
[+] Oooh and did you know that ...
00:00 Hariprasad Chaurasia - Raga: Manzh Khamaz (Teental) [aka Raga: Manj Khamaj (Teental)] (1995)
01:59 The Beatles - All You Need Is Love (1967)
02:20 Hariprasad Chaurasia - Raga: Manzh Khamaz (Teental) [aka Raga: Manj Khamaj (Teental)] (1995)
11:41 Jeff Buckley - Tongue (1994)
15:25 Dead Can Dance - The Host of Seraphim (1988) - vocal samples incorporated in the Tongue track
20:36 The Future Sound of London - The Lovers (2002)
28:45 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time (1965) - aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra
32:14 The Mystic Moods - Cosmic Sea (1973)
34:38 US69 - 2069: A Spaced Oddity (1969)
38:40 ????? - ?????
41:26 The Spencer Davis Group - Waltz for Lumumba (1967)
44:18 Si Begg - The Sound of Freakin' The Frame (1999)
46:53 Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations (1968)
49:23 ????? - ????? - some female opera vocals...
51:12 Betty Davis - If I'm in Luck (I Might Get Picked Up) (1973)
55:35 Miles Davis - Rated X (1972)
1:00:36 Ananda Shankar - Dancing Drums (1975)
1:03:31 Hawkwind - Silver Machine (1972)
1:06:29 The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary (1985)
1:09:13 The Osmonds - Crazy Horses (1972)
1:11:25 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Crosstown Traffic (1968)
1:12:41 Adam and The Ants - Antmusic (1980)
1:14:38 Wizards of Ooze - Helga (1996)
1:15:54 James Last - Here Comes The Sun (1972)
1:18:31 Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (1969)
1:20:02 - Transmission outro - environments effects and pieces...
1:21:35 - "I don't know how to say this, but Garry's told me that's it..." ... crowd cheers... confused...
1:22:24 - The next bands are getting announced...
1:23:54 End
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 2001.1 (FSOL - The Big Chill - Live Mix)

Post by Pandemonium »

No comments for the Big Chill ?? :)

I was hunting some of those tracks for 30+ days...
Maybe my reviews are too long and most people don't read them...? ( I know seedy doesn't :P )

Oh well... moving on...
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2001.1 (FSOL - The Big Chill - Live Mix)

Post by Ross »

Could have sworn DCD were in this one... Although I did confuse the piece that's often played before it as a long intro, which might be where the confusion came from...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2001.2 (FSOL - PNG 2001 remixes)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - Papua New Guinea 2001 [single remixes] (17.09.2001 / 29.10.2001)
Jumpin' & Pumpin' - CDS TOT 44 / 12 TOT 44 / 12 TOT 44R / 12 TOT 44P1 / 12 TOT 44P2 / CD TOT 2X
Hypnotic - CLP 1218-2 // Addiction Records - ADDCD079 // Superstar Recordings - SUPER DJ 2042 DMD

Image Image

A month after the Big Chill live mix, it was time to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the most popular FSOL track - Papua New Guinea. About a dozen different 12" and CDs were pressed, and at the end of the October, Accelerator was also re-released as a double CD, where the second CD was named Papua New Guinea Mix Anthology - coming out in the same time to help promoting PNG Translations (we'll talk about that one later), finally giving the track the longform (psychedelic) single format it deserved. The timing could not be better, PNG hit the dancefloors and top-lists so hard, making waves almost as big as back in 1992. Some of the remixes came out in 2002 in Germany, and the double Accelerator CD hit the US and Australian markets also in 2002. I remember some of my new friends (from the student days in the new city) hearing PNG for the first time in 2002 and dance on it like crazy.

The September editions were mostly radio edits (by producers Ralph Tee & Scott Bradford) and the PNG Mix Anthology contained the full length mixes, so we'll concentrate on that one. There are 7 new remixers, of which five are relatively new acts and two of them are old-timers. Also, two remixes are released here for the first time in a digital format.

01. Papua New Guinea (Blue States Full Length Mix) [5:46]
- Blue States is a UK downtempo project formed in 1997 (in London) Andy Dragazis.
- Sounds like something from the Cafe del Mar compilations... slow and light and dreamy - not much of a remix, but it's a pleasant track...

02. Papua New Guinea (Mellow Magic Maze Mix) [5:28]
- I can't find any info about who this Mellow guy is... The mix does start mellow, slowly turning into a steady ambient break beat. Some really cool guitar distortions and funk styled snippets make me doubt that this is a FSOL mix actually...

03. Papua New Guinea (Simian Mix) [3:43]
- British rock / leftfield group founded in 2000 in Manchester and disbanded in 2005. Simian Mobile Disco continued as just James Ford and James Shaw.
- Really hating this mix... It's not sounding bad, but it's kinda lame and disrespectful to the original.

04. Papua New Guinea (Oil Funk Dub Mix) [5:08]
- Oil did so much mixes and appearances in FSOL releases, I thought this was an old mix, but in fact it's very new and very Groooovy. As the title says, funk dub it is! Why did this guy stopped working...?

05. Papua New Guinea (Dub Child Of Q Mix) [4:22] - as heard on the original 12" release from 1991 and the remixes from 1992.

06. Papua New Guinea (Hybrid Full Length Mix) [8:31]
- A very odd group blending breaks and progressive house/trance - seems un-blendable, but they do it like motherfuckers.
- This mix was promo pressed on 12" in 2000, and it was kind of a lead remix for the PNG 2001 promotions. The crowds loved it, me, not so much. It's not a bad remix, the production is good, but it just doesn't flow for me, get really boring and it's not much danceable either.

07. Papua New Guinea (Satoshi Tomiie Main Path) [10:42]
- The only old-timer here (besides Oil) - Japan’s most successful DJ (based in NYC). Since the late 1980s he has been at the forefront of the global house music. A lifelong student of jazz and classical piano, Satoshi had an influential impact from his debut single ‘Tears’, which he co-produced in 1989 with Chicago’s ‘Godfather of house’ Frankie Knuckles, it was an instant club hit and is today considered one of house music’s most important moments. In the early 1990s, he toured and played keyboard for Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto (of Yellow Magic Orchestra). At the turn of the millennium Satoshi introduced a new club sound with the ‘Full Lick’ album - dark twisted electronic rhythms, haunting vocals, and hypnotic grooves that came to set the benchmark for a new developing house scene. The album’s hit single ‘Love In Traffic’ became a worldwide mainstream hit.
- The dark trance induced house sound is present in Tomiie's Main Path take on PNG too. I was never into post-2000 house / dance music, but Tomiie is one of the rare cases that really hit my soft spot. The darker feel is brilliant, and the production is spot-on. The standard house build-ups and sudden stops are usually pointless, but done through the crafty hands they become really good and you just wait for them.

B1. Papua New Guinea (Satoshi Tomiie Flip-Path) [8:01]
- This one is actually exclusive for the 12 TOT 44P1 vinyl. It's a Flip Path take by Tomiie, even darker and trippier, and with less elements of the original.

08. Papua New Guinea (Monsoon Mix) [4:49] - as heard on the 12" only single remixes release in 1992. First CD release here.

09. Papua New Guinea (Andrew Weatherall Full Length Mix) [11:37] - as heard on the 12" only single remixes release in 1992. First CD release here.

10. Papua New Guinea (Dub Mix) [1:20] - as heard on the single remixes release in 1992.

A1. Papua New Guinea (Marco V Remix) [9:01]
- Dutchman Marco V started to spin records at the age of 14, three years before pitch controls were first introduced to turntables. By 1996 Marco was installed as the resident of De Danssalon, the biggest club in Eindhoven. De Danssalon soon became the most renowned Friday night in Holland and shortly after Marco had started his residency he met his longtime producing partner Benjamin Bates; and began producing tracks together and released them under various aliases.
- Another exclusive track present only on the 2002 SUPER DJ 2042 DMD German 12" pressings. Typical dutch/german dancefloor production with faster tempo - there is absolutely no point in listening this one at home, or maybe just play it really loud and dance in the middle of the room :)

Papua New Guinea (Satoshi Tomiie Main Path)

Papua New Guinea (Oil Funk Dub Mix)

Papua New Guinea (Hybrid Full Length Mix)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2001.2 (FSOL - PNG 2001 remixes)

Post by Ross »

And just for the sake of balance, I'll mention that the Simian remix is probably my favourite remix of PNG. I like how it completely subverts the track and turns it into something new, which is what I want from a remix. Suits the Amorphous style well, too. I enjoy the Blue States one too, but the rest of the 2001/2002 remixes... let's just say I sold my 12"s as they weren't getting played.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

:) :) So me and Ross generally agree on the Dougans/Cobain releases, and generally disagree on the remixes :) :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

hey now i'm reading plenty of this thread! i've even played for a few friends some of the samples posted in here to give them an idea of what fsol is so skilled at.
the only thing i missed was the talk about the extra tracks on the enhanced versions (because i already had the original CDs)

and well that whole france live discussion got a little confusing :mrgreen:
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm just kidding seedy - I remember you mentioning a few pages ago that you should find time to read this thread properly - hence you haven't read everything...

Also, the fact stands that people today don't read long posts, and most of them here ARE really long...
But I like to think that the members here are not general internet dummies and like to read this thread,
and even if they don't - I just enjoy doing this and hope to continue writing these so-called reviews :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2001.3 (FSOL - The MHD Shows)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - The Mello Hippo Disco Show, Ammocity [radio mix] (11.10.2001)

In October, just a few weeks before releasing PNG Translations, FSOL finally returned to broadcasting radio mixes, with a new series of psychedelic blend called The Mello Hippo Disco Show. This was a short lived series, only two mixes were transmitted and another (unreleased) one appeared on The Pod Room six years later. It was a short lived series probably because it was similar in style with The Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble (they even used some MPB chunks in MHDS), and the MPB mixes being the one with the cooler name continued on.

The first psychedelic DJ mix set was available to stream from Ammocity.com. Right now Ammocity.com is now a gaming website (???)

Info about some of the song that are new here and we didn't mention them before:
- "January" is a pop rock song recorded by the Scottish rock band Pilot, sole number one single in the UK for Pilot.
- Barabajagal is one of the higher rated of Donovan's albums with the presence of the Jeff Beck Group backing on several tracks being cited as reason for that.
- The Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind - The song's lyrics are about 1960s LSD icon Timothy Leary. Leary was an advocate for the use of LSD, enjoying its "spiritual" benefits, with one of his catchphrases being "Turn on, tune in, drop out."
- Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood - Some Velvet Morning - London's The Daily Telegraph called the song, "One of the strangest, druggiest, most darkly sexual songs ever written - ambitious, beautiful and unforgettable."[2] As with many psychedelic songs, its overall meaning is somewhat obscure. The lyrics consist of the male part describing a mysterious, powerful woman named Phaedra, who educated the speaker in the ways of love. The male part alternates with the female part, who identifies herself as Phaedra and speaks over ethereal, twinkling music about beautiful nature imagery and about the secrets held by an unknown collective "us."

Tracklisting:
00:00 Transmission intro
00:12 Pilot - January - (EMI, 1975)
00:31 - "The Daleks - Exterminate!" (from Doctor Who)
00:36 ????? - ?????
02:38 Donovan - Barabajagal (Love is Hot) - (Epic, 1968)
05:08 Rotary Connection - Sunshine of Your Love - (Cadet Concept Records, 1969)
08:44 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra (aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra) - The Last Time - (Decca, 1965)
11:00 ????? - ?????
11:52 The Mystic Moods - Cosmic Sea - (Warner Bros. Records, 1973)
14:01 - Steven Jesse Bernstein - More Noise Please - (Sub Pop, 1992)
14:24 The Rolling Stones - 2000 Light Years From Home - (Decca, 1967)
18:27 - Traditional - "Rain rain go away, Come again another day."
19:10 ????? - ?????
20:19 ????? - ?????
21:01 ????? - ?????
22:17 The Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind - (Deram, 1968) + Deepak Chopra quotes floating arround...
25:38 The Chemical Brothers - The Private Psychedelic Reel - (Freestyle Dust, 1997)
28:15 The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows - (Parlophone, 1966)
31:05 Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood - Some Velvet Morning - (Reprise, 1967)
34:30 Jeff Buckley - Tongue - (Columbia, 1994)
38:55 - Dead Can Dance - The Host of Seraphim (4AD, 1988) - vocal samples incorporated in the Tongue track
42:28 Mercury Rev - Holes - (V2, 1998)
47:54 End

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FSOL - The Mello Hippo Disco Radio Show, XFM [radio mix] (13.10.2001)

Info about some of the song that are new here and we didn't mention them before:
-- Miles Davis - Dark Magus (Tatu)
- [obviously not Dark Manga as listed in the old tracklist - I'm a kind of an expert on Miles, I knew it was Dark Magus right away, took me a while to find out which Dark Magus]
- Magus is a term, used since the 6th century BC, to denote followers of Zurvanism or Zoroaster. The earliest known usage of the word Magi is in the trilingual inscription written by Darius the Great, known as the Behistun Inscription.
- Dark Magus is a live double album recorded on March 30, 1974, at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Davis' group at the time Michael Henderson (b), Al Foster (d), James Mtume (perc), Dave Liebman (s), Pete Cosey (g) and Reggie Lucas (g). Produced by Teo Macero, featured four two-part recordings titled after Swahili names for the numbers one through four. (so Tatu means 3).
- Q magazine named Dark Magus one of the 50 Heaviest Albums of All Time.
- Down Beat credited the frantic burbles of congas on "Moja" and "Tatu" for presaging oldschool jungle by 20 years.

Tracklisting:
00:00 Transmission intro
00:27 John Williams - Raga Vilasakhani Todi - (Fly Records, 1971)
03:45 Miles Davis - Dark Magus (Tatu) - (CBS/Sony, 1977)
06:50 ????? - ?????
09:28 Wizards of Ooze - Helga - (Backbone Records, 1996)
11:21 ????? - ?????
14:14 Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations - (Cadet Records, 1968)
15:55 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra (aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra) - The Last Time - (Decca, 1965)
18:12 The Alan Lorber Orchestra - Djellaba (The Hooded One) - (Verve Records, 1967)
19:23 James Last - Here Comes The Sun - (Polydor, 1972)
22:40 The Osmonds - Crazy Horses - (MGM Records, 1972)
24:09 Portishead - All Mine (Instrumental) - (Go! Beat, 1997)
27:22 End

FSOL - The Mello Hippo Disco Show (the unreleased soundtrack) (2001)
Released on The Pod Room on 15.11.2008, currently unavailable.

So, there wasn't ANY kind of tracklist for this one, so I made one from scratch. It wasn't easy with all those ramblings on the show, but I dug out the origins of most of the tracks. Read away!

Originally conceived as an animation cartoon series by FSOL with Pete Fowler, this is the pilot soundtrack - 1 hour of cosmic banter - with your host - one man band of cosmos - [MC Gary Lucas] talking about a whole range of cosmic nonsense over a mix set similar to the MHDS/MPB sets of 2001. Motherfucking hard-core old-skool psychedelia mix... I mean... the newest track mixed here is from 1973! :)

Tracklisting: (scroll to the end of the post to see just the plain tracklist)
- The Mello Hippo Disco Show (58:35)

00:00 Transmission Intro

00:16 Dennis Farnon and His Orchestra (aka The Towenda Choir Orchestra) - Mr. Magoo Opening Theme - (a 1949 cartoon theme music)
- ( )
- TV Guide ranked Mr. Magoo number 29 on its "50 Greatest Cartoon Characters of All Time" list.

00:29 - "The Mello Hippo Disco Show hosts speak (a lot... the whole time...) in the background... and most of the tracks overlap a lot..."

00:46 Dr. Timothy Leary - Genetic Memory - (Mercury, 1967) "center... go back down, the ladder of genetic memory..."
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Dr-Timothy-Leary ... se/1740816 )
- Timothy Francis Leary (1920–1996) was an American psychologist and writer, known for his advocacy of psychedelic drugs.

01:15 The Peppers - Pepper Box - (Spark, 1973)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Peppers-Pepper-B ... ase/880041 )

01:23 Grover Washington Jr. - Masterpiece - (Kudu, 1973)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Grover-Washingto ... ase/586613 )
- Grover Washington, Jr. (1943–1999) was an American jazz-funk / soul-jazz saxophonist, considered by many to be one of the founders of the smooth jazz genre.

03:00 Bonnie Dobson - Bird of Space - (RCA Victor, 1969)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Bonnie-Dobson-Bo ... se/1064128 )
- Bonnie Dobson is a Canadian folk music songwriter, singer, and guitarist, most known in the 1960s for composing the songs "I'm Your Woman" and "Morning Dew".

05:42 Hawkwind - Silver Machine - (United Artists Records, 1972)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Hawkwind-Silver- ... se/2167553 )

07:30 Magic Sand (aka The Hooterville Trolley) - Get Ready to Fly (aka No Silver Bird) - (Lynnette Record Corp., 1968)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Hooterville-Trol ... se/4326999 )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Magic-Sand-Magic ... se/4020320 )

09:53 Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining - (Columbia, 1967)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Beck-Hi-Ho- ... ase/479255 )
- "Hi Ho Silver Lining" is a rock song, written by American songwriters Scott English and Larry Weiss and first released as a single in March 1967 by The Attack, followed a few days later by Jeff Beck. Because the Beck version charted first, the song is most often associated with him.

10:52 - Charles Bukowski - "Imagine, stripping a woman down..." - (unknown year)

11:44 - Deepak Chopra - "Life is surprise..." - (unknown source / year)

12:25 Rotary Connection - Sunshine of Your Love - (Cadet Concept Records, 1969)
- After listening literally more than 30 covers of this song, I finally found the performer of this one...
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Rotary-Connectio ... ase/514823 )

16:09 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time - (Decca, 1965)
- aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Oldham-Or ... se/3809666 )

18:19 ????? - ????? - some tabla/sitar combo with some distorted (english) vocals...

21:49 US69 - 2069: A Spaced Oddity - (Buddah Records, 1969)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/US-69-Yesterdays ... ase/823669 )

26:43 ????? - ????? - 'you couldn't go where I go' soft vocal track with background tabla and sitar...

30:12 ????? - ????? - violin/strings ambient... movie-like...

30:43 - Margo Lane - "I was lying naked on a beach in the South Seas..." - (from The Shadow, 1994 movie)
- ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111143/quotes )

32:22 Show of Hands - I Want to Fly - (Elektra, 1970)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Show-Of-Hands-Fo ... se/1243604 )

35:14 - Jeroboam - "But the more devils we have inside of us, the more of a chance we have to repent." - (from The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988 movie)
- ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497 )

38:06 - Ramona Rickettes - "And I want you to go out there tonight and sing, boy..." - (from Cry-Baby, 1990 movie)
- ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0099329/quotes?qt=qt0421666 )

38:20 The Millennium - Prelude - (Columbia, 1968)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Millennium-Begin/release/2108449 )
- The Millennium was an American super group based in California, who were conceived by Curt Boettcher. The group consisted of psychedelic rock musicians, and they incorporated sunshine pop harmonies.

40:14 Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda - (ABC Records, Impulse!, 1971)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Alice-Coltrane-F ... ase/549847 )
- Journey in Satchidananda is the fourth solo album by Alice Coltrane (the second wife of John Coltrane). Its title (and title track) reflects Coltrane's inspiration by Swami Satchidananda, to whom she had become close, and whose disciple she was.

43:25 Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations - (Cadet Records, 1968)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Dorothy-Ashby-Af ... se/1013297 )

45:04 - Jesus - "You think God belongs only to you? He doesn't...." - (from The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988 movie)
- ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/quotes )

47:47 - D.H. Lawrence - "To Women, As Far As I'm Concerned" (The feelings you would like us both to have, we neither of us have...) - (poem, 1920s)

48:04 ????? - ????? - flute/sitar/tabla track...

50:16 Magna Carta - Give Me No Goodbye - (Vertigo, 1970)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Magna-Carta-Seas ... se/1134883 )
- Magna Carta is a Progressive rock group originally formed in London in April 1969.

53:00 ????? - Let's Get Together (1964)

55:25 Marty Gold - Day Tripper - (Avco Records, 1969)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Marty-Gold-Moog- ... ase/385134 )
- Martin Gold (1915–2011) was a composer, pianist, and bandleader born in New York City.

56:21 - Etheridge Knight - "Feeling Fucked Up" (Everywhere the world is bare...) - (poem, '70s)

57:52 - "You were right... and that's why tonight... before the entire nation..." - (from The King of Comedy, 1982 movie)

58:35 Transmission End.

And here's a plain tracklist, for the fans that want to save it:
[+] Oooh and did you know that ...
00:00 Transmission Intro
00:16 Dennis Farnon and His Orchestra (aka The Towenda Choir Orchestra) - Mr. Magoo Opening Theme (1949)
00:29 - "The Mello Hippo Disco Show hosts speak (a lot... the whole time...) in the background... and most of the tracks overlap a lot..."
00:46 Dr. Timothy Leary - Genetic Memory (1967)
01:15 The Peppers - Pepper Box (1973)
01:23 Grover Washington Jr. - Masterpiece (1973)
03:00 Bonnie Dobson - Bird of Space (1969)
05:42 Hawkwind - Silver Machine (1972)
07:30 Magic Sand (aka The Hooterville Trolley) - Get Ready to Fly (aka No Silver Bird) (1968)
09:53 Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining (1967)
10:52 - Charles Bukowski - "Imagine, stripping a woman down..." (unknown year)
11:44 - Deepak Chopra - "Life is surprise..." - (unknown source / year)
12:25 Rotary Connection - Sunshine of Your Love (1969)
16:09 The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time (1965) - aka Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra aka ALO Orchestra
18:19 ????? - ????? - some tabla/sitar combo with some distorted (english) vocals...
21:49 US69 - 2069: A Spaced Oddity (1969)
26:43 ????? - ????? - 'you couldn't go where I go' soft vocal track with background tabla and sitar...
30:12 ????? - ????? - violin/strings ambient... movie-like...
30:43 - Margo Lane - "I was lying naked on a beach in the South Seas..." (from The Shadow, 1994 movie)
32:22 Show of Hands - I Want to Fly (1970)
35:14 - Jeroboam - "But the more devils we have inside of us..." - (from The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988)
38:06 - Ramona Rickettes - "And I want you to go out there tonight and sing, boy..." - (from Cry-Baby, 1990)
38:20 The Millennium - Prelude (1968)
40:14 Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda (1971)
43:25 Dorothy Ashby - Soul Vibrations (1968)
45:04 - Jesus - "You think God belongs only to you? He doesn't...." - (from The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988)
47:47 - D.H. Lawrence - "To Women, As Far As I'm Concerned" (poem, 1920s)
48:04 ????? - ????? - flute/sitar/tabla track...
50:16 Magna Carta - Give Me No Goodbye (1970)
53:00 ????? - Let's Get Together (1964)
55:25 Marty Gold - Day Tripper (1969)
56:21 - Etheridge Knight - "Feeling Fucked Up" (poem, '70s)
57:52 - "You were right... and that's why tonight... before the entire nation..." - (from The King of Comedy, 1982)
58:35 Transmission End.
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: Pande-reviews: 2001.3 (FSOL - The MHD Shows)

Post by OffLand »

I remember listening to both Mellow Hippo Disco Shows and thinking that they weren't as good as the MPB sets. Probably explains why they stopped doing them. Can't wait for your write-up on Translations next! It is such a bizarre and interesting record. Thought FSOL were going in this new direction, then they gave re-birth to AA and Yage so that they could tackle these new sounds and focus FSOL back on more electronic sounds.